BA shorthaul Y "ET" service

Old Nov 28, 10, 11:47 am
Original Poster

BA shorthaul Y "ET" service

I see from the LH forum that LH are expanding what they offer in Y shorthaul, listed below. With hot meals on a tray kicking in at 2 and a half hours, the trigger point for a small filled roll on BA.

But LH are adding more seats, although I know BA have done something similar, but perhaps not to the same extent. On BA you still get spirits, whereas on LH I think it's only beer, wine and soft drinks. So it's not all good.

Would this make a difference to who you fly with?

I get GF lounge access and have *G access too. But think the better food in the BA lounges and the option of more non-stops would swing it for me. But for those without lounge access and leisure travellers I can see that some might see LH as a better option.

I note that LH Group carriers all, except BD, offer better catering than BA. Given LH groups market presence I wonder if BA will reconsider their approach to shorthaul Y catering.

Lufthansa Y class - Europe/domestic:

Module A: up to 60min. block time
- Muessli bar(morning)/chocolate bar
- beverage service

Module B: from 61min. to 120min.
- Cold snack 3 variations according to day time(salads, fruit salads, wraps...)
- beverage service

Module C: from 121min. to 150min.
- Cold snack(outbound)/hot snack(inbound) fresh products
- beverage service

Module D: from 151min. to 180min.
- small tray, hot meal
- beverage service

Module E: from >180min.
- medium tray, hot meal
- fresh bread rolls
- beverage service
Old Nov 28, 10, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish we would bring something more substantial back... I am going stir crazy with biscuits and crisps/chips*

* delete depending on number of American connecting passengers.
Old Nov 28, 10, 12:16 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
What's worse, BBB is that the coffee cup is the size of a large thimble and you get 1 (yes, one!) small biscuit. Nice as it is, it's hardly worth the bother. I think that we've finally sunk to the depths of what BA could get away with calling "food and drink".
Old Nov 28, 10, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FenLandK View Post
What's worse, BBB is that the coffee cup is the size of a large thimble and you get 1 (yes, one!) small biscuit. Nice as it is, it's hardly worth the bother. I think that we've finally sunk to the depths of what BA could get away with calling "food and drink".
You don't have to tell me that... I am the embarrassed one dishing it out...
Old Nov 28, 10, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
What's worse, BBB is that the coffee cup is the size of a large thimble and you get 1 (yes, one!) small biscuit.
Not as small as a NZ biscuit surely? That's about the size of a gaming chip.
Old Nov 28, 10, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
LH even seems to have raised their J catering game. Second-to-last time I did it they were handing out a 'continental' breakfast (ie plate of cold cheese and salami) but that had markedly improved two weeks ago.
Old Nov 28, 10, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I do like the biscuits on UK Domestic/ET though
Old Nov 28, 10, 2:18 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Not as small as a NZ biscuit surely? That's about the size of a gaming chip.
It's about the size of one of those Maryland cookies. Probably around 2 inches in diameter. And it's actually quite nice. It's the "it" that is the problem. BA took best part of 200 for my LHR-OSL flight and I got a thimble of coffee and one biscuit.

But thanks to FT and the catering guide thread, I knew how crap it was going to be and planned in advance. EAT got my business on the way out to OSL, and I got a very filling lunch for about 6.50. Oh, and a coffee and biscuit for afters.

Not so many choices on the way back, so had to make do with a rather expensive Norwegian sandwich.
Old Nov 28, 10, 3:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I have been doing quite a few LH 100 min flights (MUC-LHR etc) lately. They have been giving out a sandwich and a Mars bar in economy class during lunch time and this is much better than BA's packet of crackers/biscuit, although in an ideal world I would prefer the Mars bar to be replaced with the BA biscuit.

However, BA wins due to its lounges at LHR. LH lounges are generally rubbish!
Old Nov 28, 10, 3:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Glad to hear Lufthansa has introduced some improvements to its onboard service. Hopefully, BA will take notice and up its game a notch (ok, maybe a quarter notch)
Old Nov 28, 10, 5:37 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
The only logical outcome of this must be "Buy on Board". Nothing free in SH economy, but snacks and drinks available for purchase. With this model, the beancounters can't do any harm to catering.

SK has this model and it works very well.
Old Nov 29, 10, 12:54 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, Flying Blue silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Silv
Last week instead of the one biscuit I got a small pack of two Rocky bars that were individually wrapped, so you could have one with your thimble of tea and, depending on your will power, save another for later.

We did a nutritional comparison of the savagely salty crisps against some Kettle Chips liberated from the lounge for on-board consumption and were surprised to see that the Kettle Chips had higher salt levels.

I don't mind not having sandwiches leaving T5 because there are plenty of options there for pre-planning and buying some food, or eating in the lounge. But like FenLandK says, when flying to T5 at a mealtime can be a real challenge to find something edible at the departure airport.

I'm surprised to hear that you get anything to eat on Lufthansa domestic. The last flights I did (FRA/MUC - TXL) I was only offered a drink.
Old Dec 3, 10, 1:14 pm

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
while BA "enhance" european service, Lufthansa upgrade it

Read in FTN today that Lufthansa are fitting recaro seats to all of their European routes and upgrading all the onboard service in both Business and Economy as one only gets the obligatory cheese roll flights such as LCY-DUS, which BA have now chosen for their Band 3 flights
Old Dec 3, 10, 1:37 pm

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Lobengula View Post
The only logical outcome of this must be "Buy on Board". Nothing free in SH economy, but snacks and drinks available for purchase. With this model, the beancounters can't do any harm to catering.

SK has this model and it works very well.
not quite, they give cold food to full-fare Y, BOB to cheapo Y and crp hot food to J
Old Dec 3, 10, 6:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by globalste View Post
Read in FTN today that Lufthansa are fitting recaro seats to all of their European routes and upgrading all the onboard service in both Business and Economy as one only gets the obligatory cheese roll flights such as LCY-DUS, which BA have now chosen for their Band 3 flights
I withdraw my comments about LH! I had connecting flights (approx 2-hours + sub 90-min), and I got a cheese roll on each sector. What's happened to their nice prosciutto rolls?

Search this Thread