BA Gold on AA in Y

Old Nov 27, 10, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
BA Gold on AA in Y

Flying to Miami then onto New Orleans next Easter on AA in Y. Are there any benefits to being a BA Gold? It doesn't seem like I can get preferential seating online..... (or at all!)
Old Nov 27, 10, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
You should be able to get exit row seating; maybe you have to call? Also, if there is an open seat in First Class at departure, you would be first in line as OWE (assuming that all AA elites have already filled the other FC seats). Happened to me in 2 out of recent 3 flights in AA Y; when I was already seated in my exit row seat, I was called forward to FC. AA really wants their FC cabin to be filled to the last seat!

You will also get priority boarding, even before Group 1, either with or right after FC.
Old Nov 27, 10, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
- Complimentary alcoholic beverage which surprised my other half when he flew MIA-EYW last month
is the only new benefit i am aware of since BA and AA were allowed to cooperate apart from changes to TP and Miles.

- Priority standby if you want to get onto an earlier flight or missed a connection
- Use of Admirals Club or Flagship Lounge
- priority boarding
- fast track security where available
are standard OW benefits
Old Nov 27, 10, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
I think you should be able to get exit rows and suchlike and if you can't get them online that's a glitch. I had a ticket on exactly that route a couple of years ago, BA CW to MIA then changing to AA Y MIA-MSY and had no problem selecting the better AA seats online as a Silver. Of course then a hurricane came along and blew the seats away, but that's another story.
Old Nov 27, 10, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your Gold number is in the reservation it should open up the premium seats on aa.com. If not you will have to call.

Just don't expect to be upgraded - that is not one of the benefits just an occasional perk.
Old Nov 27, 10, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
If your Gold number is in the reservation it should open up the premium seats on aa.com. If not you will have to call.

Just don't expect to be upgraded - that is not one of the benefits just an occasional perk.
Agreed that upgrades are definitely not a published or official benefit in any way.
Regardless of all else, you will be able to board early. AA boarding order for 2 class domestic flights is supposed to be:
First Class
Executive Platinum and Platinum (inc OW Emerald and Sapphire)
Priority AAccess (AA Gold, OW Ruby, Full Y tickets, AAirpass and people who paid for it)
Groups based on seat numbers
Old Nov 27, 10, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post

Thanks. My number is on the booking via Trailfinders. I will call them directly and try and sort out some better seats.

Free booze on the plane would be useful - Do I just show my card?
Old Nov 27, 10, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KenJohn View Post
- Complimentary alcoholic beverage which surprised my other half when he flew MIA-EYW last month
is the only new benefit i am aware of since BA and AA were allowed to cooperate apart from changes to TP and Miles.

- Priority standby if you want to get onto an earlier flight or missed a connection
- Use of Admirals Club or Flagship Lounge
- priority boarding
- fast track security where available
are standard OW benefits
flew JFKMIA with them last week and never got my blooming drink. I take it this does not apply in Y.

Agree though priority boarding (for what thats worth) and the flagship lounge of course which is OK. Food was very decent and nice view (although a distant one) of the NY skyline.
Old Nov 27, 10, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by cat 35 View Post
flew JFKMIA with them last week and never got my blooming drink. I take it this does not apply in Y.

Agree though priority boarding (for what thats worth) and the flagship lounge of course which is OK. Food was very decent and nice view (although a distant one) of the NY skyline.
There is a benefit to Executive Platinums of a free drink in Y (since they didn't get upgraded). There's no reason for that to apply to Emeralds since they're not eligible for official upgrades, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old Nov 27, 10, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by rogerj View Post

Flying to Miami then onto New Orleans next Easter on AA in Y. Are there any benefits to being a BA Gold?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...flying-aa.html
Old Nov 27, 10, 3:03 pm

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
am currently reaping the benefits right now - as I'm BA Gold and flying AA Y to MIA from PHL tonight - currently sitting in the PHL BA F section of the lounge with a glass of fizz.

As others have said, you will be able to use the Flagship lounge at MIA. There was a golf cart to take Flagship lounge pax to the lounge right after security, as it was such a monumental walk from MIA north security to the Flagship lounge, but that may be better now with the little train between gates opening in MIA North.
Old Nov 27, 10, 11:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
There are no upgrade perks whatsoever. However, OW elites will be ahead of non-AA elites for op-ups.

There is free wine and beer for elites, but only on American Eagle.

Originally Posted by Jet Ranger View Post
As others have said, you will be able to use the Flagship lounge at MIA. There was a golf cart to take Flagship lounge pax to the lounge right after security, as it was such a monumental walk from MIA north security to the Flagship lounge, but that may be better now with the little train between gates opening in MIA North.
The old Flagship Lounge at MIA has closed. The new one does not open until May.
Old Nov 28, 10, 12:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
There are no upgrade perks whatsoever. However, OW elites will be ahead of non-AA elites for op-ups.
I did not mean to imply that there are any official upgrade perks. They are certainly not. Just that the the meaning of op-up is a different one for AA than for BA, i.e. op-ups are not just used in case of overbooking. The GA seem to have the possibility to upgrade anyone last minute if there is a free seat in FC (at least domestically) and they use that possibility quite freely to make sure the plane does not go out with an empty seat in FC. If the GA follows the book, OWE would be first in line. If not, exit rows are quite generous on AA in terms of leg room.
Old Nov 28, 10, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by denhaagflyer View Post
I did not mean to imply that there are any official upgrade perks. They are certainly not. Just that the the meaning of op-up is a different one for AA than for BA, i.e. op-ups are not just used in case of overbooking. The GA seem to have the possibility to upgrade anyone last minute if there is a free seat in FC (at least domestically) and they use that possibility quite freely to make sure the plane does not go out with an empty seat in FC.
There is no procedure for that. AA policy is that it's perfectly fine for F seats to go empty if no one is officially eligible for them. (ie, all requested upgrades have cleared.)
Old Nov 28, 10, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
There is no procedure for that. AA policy is that it's perfectly fine for F seats to go empty if no one is officially eligible for them. (ie, all requested upgrades have cleared.)
Correct!

Contrary to many posts made by quite a number of posters here.

Search this Thread