Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has the enhanced TP & Mileage rates for BAEC changed your FFP strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat Exec, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador & Marriott Plat

I was resigned to going back to lowly blue in January. My travel is discounted Y around Europe mainly. Last year was a couple of trips to USA and RSA in Y+. New job now means less long haul but ironically if needed I can fly in J!

Now I find myself flying OW to renew silver and will make it with 5 TP's over!

I was only 50% of the way there in October with no chance of renewing so was concentrating on *A as I am BDGold but that has all changed now - easier to get TP's and better miles awarded.

I was therefore wondering if this change had also seen others doing as I did and if BA were therefore seeing the benefits too.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It will be a great success.

If they had listened to me years ago and done it it they would have attracted many more passengers over the period.
There will be a downside to it all of course....
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:44 am

Programs: BA GfL, Hilton Gold
Great for those who are stuck with cheap economy tickets due to budget constraints at home or through work.

No real effect on me as I had more TP last year than ever before and am now struggling to find ways to spend all the miles I'm accumulating...
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
My strategy is unchanged.

I still fly BA exclusively on long haul because although their business class fares are not the lowest in the market they are very competitive and there is often the opportunity to MFU to CW on my route.

I fly for leisure only and do not make enough trips a year to obtain status in multiple programs. So I stick with BA to get Silver and collect and spend plenty of miles.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 1:43 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Certainly has made me keener on going back to BA.

Having said that, I've not flown BA since September and I have no plans to do so again within (at the very least) the next 3 months.

That's right...I said I would stop flying BA and I have done so.

This very day last year I did a wee BA trip to Amsterdam and had the best purser ever.

Since then, a strike-threatened break at Christmas, another at Easter, real lack of flexibility as the strike cancelled my flight in June, then a real reduced service on another flight in June, then rude and carefree cabin crew in August. Is it any wonder...
Old Nov 27, 2010, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
No. Have not flown long-haul Y in over a decade and no plans to start now! And the extra miles makes minimal difference for short-haul.

Biggest impact will be if the extra miles in circulation leads to a jump in redemption rates.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
if
I think you mean *when*....
Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
For non-flexible domestic flights (about 80 pa) i used to check Easyjet and book with them if £20 cheaper. The round trip now yields 2000 miles, worth £32 at the 'buy miles' price of 1.6p. Taken with all the other benefits of flying BA so I don't even bother looking at another airline website any more.

Similarly for mid-haul Y a few times a year.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:47 pm

My pattern has not changed.

Still surprised people think that BA by default have to increase redemption rates just because they have increased earning rates on discounted economy tickets, and higher tier bonus for Silver.
It makes no difference for BA! However, it makes a big difference to us because more miles awarded means more miles battling for redemption space.

Duh!?
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has made reconsider my Economy trips in Europe. IST in discount Y as a Gold is now worth 40 TP's and 6000 miles which makes BA far appealing than anything on *A. As a result I've moved both work and personal spend over to BA (3 trips so far, probably GBP700 or revenue). BA are frequently the cheapest too which only improves the deal.

Amusingly a few years ago IST was only 80 TP's and the same miles in Club. How things have changed...
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:20 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Petrus
My pattern has not changed.

Still surprised people think that BA by default have to increase redemption rates just because they have increased earning rates on discounted economy tickets, and higher tier bonus for Silver.
It makes no difference for BA! However, it makes a big difference to us because more miles awarded means more miles battling for redemption space.

Duh!?
Not quite... after all remember all those Americans getting 100,000 miles for doing diddily squat.
Fortunately most of those thought that the best use of 100,000 miles was two returns in World Traveller...
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:20 pm

Within the last month I've taken return trips to MRS, VCE and SSH all in Y on BA and I doubt any of those would have been on BA prior to the changes.

During 2010 up to the end of September I'd taken at least 20 return flights and only one of those had been on BA (241 redemption F LHR/JFK). Some would not have been possible on BA due to the routes traveled, but if I was doing exactly the same trips next year they would probably get at least half of them now.

For me it was a really positive move, especially as everything BA had done prior to that for the last 12 months or more was pretty negative for my travel schedules.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Caerbannog
For non-flexible domestic flights (about 80 pa) i used to check Easyjet and book with them if £20 cheaper.
Really? If I'd got status (as you have) I wouldn't take EasyJet with no lounge access and no fast-track if it saved just £20! I tend to take £20-worth of magazines and newspapers out of the lounge, for a start, before I've even started on the food and drink!
Old Nov 28, 2010, 6:18 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
First change in behaviour for me: booked BA instead of LX to ZRH this week, for business trip, in Y.

I am never going to get beyond LX Frequent Traveller status, so might as well focus on my primary alliance - OW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.