Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How am I supposed to use Mobile Phone boarding pass at LCY

Old Nov 26, 10, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I have a new BlackBerry this week and the first app I downloaded was the BA one.

It worked wonderfully to give me an electronic BP for my flight to EDI tonight and that allowed me to check a bag and get to the gate at LCY.

However, when announcing boarding, the dispatcher announced that we had to turn our mobiles off before leaving the terminal and not turn them on again until we got to EDI.

This is standard procedure at LCY, where the rule is that mobiles should not be on whilst walking between terminal and plane.

So if I follow the letter of the law, my mobile should be off when I get to the plane so i won't have a BP to show the flight attendant.

This is a highly theoretical question, as I, together with 99.999% of all passengers ignore the rule and have their phones on as they walk across the tarmac, but what am I supposed to do if I want to be 100% compliant with the two mutually contradictory rules to show my BP at the top of the steps, whilst not having my phone switched on.
Old Nov 26, 10, 1:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

You should place your BB into flight safe mode before going to the gate.
Old Nov 26, 10, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
Yep - good spot by andset1191 - putting it into flight-safe mode stops it being a "mobile phone" and turns it into an "electronic device" (and don't forget that an electronic device needs to be turned off for t/o and landing.)
As long as there's no rule that "electronic devices" need to be turned off before leaving the terminal, you should be fine.
Old Nov 27, 10, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Seriously though who does actually turn off their phone/BB before leaving the boarding gate? I have never had any of the cabin crew raise it as an issue when proffering my iPhone. Mrs LoM noticed our pilot yesterday using his iPhone in the cockpit prior to departure so it clearly isn't that problematic
Old Nov 27, 10, 10:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA
Why does LCY have this restriction?
Old Nov 27, 10, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Fuelling etc may be going on nearby

Search this Thread