Flight + Car - but skipping the car?

Old Nov 26, 10, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Centurion, HH Diam
Flight + Car - but skipping the car?

I tried searching but came up empty, so apologies if this have been asked before.

Can I book a flight+car but not actually make use of the rental car? Would that have any effect on the BA ticket?

We're planning a long weekend to Marbella, and the flight in CE is about 400 less if you take a (crappy) car as well.

Alternatively - is it possible to pay for an upgrade locally?
Old Nov 26, 10, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You should have no problem at all.
Old Nov 26, 10, 7:14 am

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
If you want to play safe, you could always turn up for the car and sign it straight back to them - so that you have no fuel and damage charges.

If there are terms on the ticket then they cant say that you have not taken the car! No different to arriving off the flight with drink taken and deciding to collect it the next day because you are too "tired"!!
Old Nov 26, 10, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Have you tried pricing up the cost with a one night 1* hotel? That is also a way of getting the flight price down.
Old Nov 26, 10, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Centurion, HH Diam
I tried a hotel, but it came out the same as just the flight, so the car was a lot cheaper.

Thanks for the advice guys - I'm gonna do as antichef proposed and sign it in/out to avoid any issues.
Old Nov 26, 10, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by Xonus View Post
Thanks for the advice guys - I'm gonna do as antichef proposed and sign it in/out to avoid any issues.
A word of warning.....some car rental companies have penalty clauses for returning a car early.
Old Nov 26, 10, 8:08 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. BA Au.
FWIW we've done this loads of times. It's a good way of avoiding the Apex saturday night restrictions. We never bother going anywhere near the rental place.

Search this Thread