BA in bed with a new partner?

Old Nov 25, 10, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC/IB
BA in bed with a new partner?

I have a separate email address used solely for my BAEC account.
Recently I have been getting some correspondence from companies offering me a product which will make me "a tarzan in bed"......"put a smile back on my wife's face" as well as telling me it's "quantity not quality that counts".

I can't imagine this has anything to do with BA.....surely they wouldn't stoop so low?
Old Nov 25, 10, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Gold
It sounds like an automated BAEC customer services response to your sausage complaint.
Old Nov 26, 10, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I love those funny e-mails.

The best bit is the e-mail addresses they come from, like [email protected].
Old Nov 26, 10, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Recently I have been getting some correspondence from companies offering me a product which will make me "a tarzan in bed"......"put a smile back on my wife's face" as well as telling me it's "quantity not quality that counts". I can't imagine this has anything to do with BA.....surely they wouldn't stoop so low?
Perfect BA marketing:

A tarzan in bed - Restore strength with a night in BA's lie flat bed.

Put a smile back on your wife's face - A second honeymoon to MRU on BA in F.

Quantity not quality that counts - BA - the drunk's favourite airline.

Old Nov 26, 10, 3:02 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Recently I have been getting some correspondence from companies offering me a product which will make me "a tarzan in bed"......"put a smile back on my wife's face" as well as telling me it's "quantity not quality that counts".

I can't imagine this has anything to do with BA.....surely they wouldn't stoop so low?
I did not think that low was quite the appopriate adjective in this instance. Ah a nice thread for a Friday - we've done beer now erectile disfunction - I suppose we will have something lavatorial to make the weekend complete.

Still I must keep on thread. Since I have long suspected that those with most to say have least to talk about - this thread should run and run.

So HIDDYhow much did you order? Do let us know how well it works.

Can you do us all a favour and forward the mail to Phil the Flier?
Old Nov 26, 10, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Joking aside, I suppose the worrying issue here is that someone may have been gathering information from your PC or BA's systems which either of you being aware of this.

Corporates tend to have good firewalls (not sure about BA) so this would concern me. I had to change my hotmail account passwords and settings for the same reason.
Old Nov 26, 10, 3:31 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
I wouldn't worry HIDDY! I get offers from a Sexy Sandra and pills for long loveswords. I can assure you I'm not in need of either.

I check my spam every now and again and I have to admit opening ones that begin with Gucci. I know it's fake, I know I shouldn't look, but it's like a car accident. You do and wish you hadn't afterwards.
Old Nov 26, 10, 3:33 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
It could also be from the webmail based system. I remember opening one of those for the kids many years ago, and within 5 minutes the spam started arriving. Closed them down immediately.

I would hope that BA has as good a firewall system and data protection policies as most UK based corporates. If their marketing people are any like ours they have a holier rthan thou attitude regarding DP, and you can't use any email address unless it's been sworn with a affadavit by the owner and signed in his children's blood.
Old Nov 26, 10, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

BA - no. Mrs HIDDY - yes.
Old Nov 26, 10, 4:12 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
Originally Posted by KenJohn View Post
Joking aside, I suppose the worrying issue here is that someone may have been gathering information from your PC or BA's systems which either of you being aware of this.
Unlikely... Bulk email sent to random strings built up of dictionary glyphs before the @ combined with known domain names - some small percentage end up in a real mailbox. Delete and forget.
Old Nov 26, 10, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
If the part in front of @ is anything like first name, then chances are they got you just by what is called a dictionary attack. I.e. the spammers got a list of names and just try them out at any domain they know of. I used to watch email logs quite closely for a while and I got a few domains, which only have a very small number of working addresses.

It could also be that someones computer (like inside of BAEC of someone who has emailed you) got infected and the Trojan harvested addresses to which emails have been sent.
Old Nov 26, 10, 6:39 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post
BA - no. Mrs HIDDY - yes.
Old Nov 26, 10, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you might want to change your password just in case. Also do you have another email account which has this address as a contact, there might be a leak there as well.
Old Nov 26, 10, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC/IB
Just up...thanks for the replies.

It's a Gmail account I use so I guess it has nothing to do with BA at all but some type of dodgy outfit using something or other.
Old Nov 26, 10, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom View Post
The best bit is the e-mail addresses they come from, like [email protected].
I received one, where I was asked to contact "FedEx Express Courier Company" on [email protected]

To make me believe that FedEx is called "FedEx Express Courier Company", is equal to making a BA employee believe that BA is called "British Airways Air Transport Company" or something similar

Also, we definately don't use Yahoo e-mails.

Search this Thread