Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has CW food been knowingly taken downmarket?

Has CW food been knowingly taken downmarket?

Old Nov 17, 10, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
BA's catering standards in J seem to be the topic of the year.

I know we all enjoy a good anonymous moan on the Internet, but there is still a consistent thread. It's nice to hear from someone who was pleased, for a change!

Do any IFCE Execs read this stuff we post, or are we baying at the Moon?
Old Nov 17, 10, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Thank goodness for that. I had begun to prepare a food parcel from F&Ms, and was relieved to read this happy turn of events in that otherwise ghastly tale. How you manage is a constant marvel to me. I'd stick to FIRST in future. You can't take risks with things like this, really you can't. Be good to yourself. You're worth it.
+1

If it weren't for my pompous choice of username when I signed up for this site I'd probably have lambasted the OP for their pretentious postings a long time ago.

Who really gives a carp about where you ate whilst you were in Brazil? Or that you eat at Michelin Star restaurants on a daily basis...
Old Nov 17, 10, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seated in First View Post
Who really gives a carp about where you ate whilst you were in Brazil? Or that you eat at Michelin Star restaurants on a daily basis...
Tsk tsk.

IMO, as a point of reference, that may have some validity.

The OH and I usually eat at home, where we both cook to what we believe to be a fairly high standard. Neither of us would feel comfortable about serving the other with some of the BA offerings in J.

That said, I will admit readily that the challenge of presenting pre-prepared and re-heated meals is not one I would cherish. We panic when we have 6 guests for a meal!
Old Nov 17, 10, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Tsk tsk.

IMO, as a point of reference, that may have some validity.
I respectfully disagree. Comparisons to previous CW experiences are far more relevant in a discussion of deteriorating standards of food than a pointless recollection of culinary experiences on the ground in completely unrelated establishments!
Old Nov 17, 10, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seated in First View Post
I respectfully disagree.
Perfectly content that we do so.
The issue is, after all, the decline in BA catering in Premium Cabins ... for which I believe BA has a large IFCE Department/Regiment/Division/Corps.
Old Nov 17, 10, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
I'll soon be able to do a comparison. Next week I am off to BKK but this time on EVA in Biz. So what's the difference. Well the ticket costs just under 50% of the lowest BA CW fare. But the big surprise is - just 20 or so days before departure - I get to order my food online. yep - I get to see the menu for the flight and also choose from a range of extra menu items not available to those not ordering in advance.

OK so it's nice to be able to order but what is the quality like - well last time I flew with EVA to BKK in biz the food was great and the flight home is a day time flight so they do 3 meal services !!!

I'll be able to compare as next year we will be going to BKK with BA in WT+ and later in the year in CW.
Old Nov 17, 10, 2:17 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I used to be an exclusively QF and BA flyer when in business class/CW, and did not realise how poor BA catering in CW was until I flew on LH to NRT fairly recently.

I got a shock with their Japanese menu - it was very tasty, appetisers were presented particularly well, and the volume of food served was pretty impressive too.

QF catering in business class is probably a bit better than BA CW (it can be quite a bit better depending on what you get), but the differences have not been so noticeably stark as the catering on BA to NRT and LH to NRT.
Old Nov 17, 10, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
),.... but the differences have not been so noticeably stark as the catering on BA to NRT and LH to NRT.
I agree - recent experience with JL J catering and AY J catering have reinforced that impression for me. Although I think there is also a gap between BA to NRT and BA from NRT. The Japanese outstation seems to produce better food than the UK base. Not just Japanese options either.
Old Nov 17, 10, 2:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Scillybear View Post
I agree - recent experience with JL J catering and AY J catering have reinforced that impression for me. Although I think there is also a gap between BA to NRT and BA from NRT. The Japanese outstation seems to produce better food than the UK base. Not just Japanese options either.
I should have clarified that LH catering from NRT and FRA was still much, much better than what BA served from NRT to LHR too. I was too lazy to write "to/from".

JL's J catering is said to have deteriorated quite a lot since a few years ago and I have not recently flown on JL long haul so I cannot verify, but from what a regular JL flyer friend of mine tells me, it still sounds better than BA CW too.
Old Nov 17, 10, 2:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
In an unscientific, quick and dirty survey whilst flying about on OW in J, I think that BA's catering is the worst of any other OW partners. I have no experience of IB or MA or a couple of others, but Cathay, JAL, LAN, Qantas, Finnair even AA all have better catering than BA.
If BA want to continue to be one of the dominant players in OW, IMO they need to up their game a bit, both for catering and service.
Old Nov 17, 10, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by LHR-HUB View Post
If BA want to continue to be one of the dominant players in OW, IMO they need to up their game a bit, both for catering and service.
Can I genuinely ask why you dislike it so much? You will have seen my post above - I truly found the meal immmensely enjoyable and couldn't fault it in any way.

Maybe I was lucky but I couldn't see what so many complain about

Programs: BA Gold, BMI blue, VS Silver, Starwood gold, Marriott silver, HH gold, IHG gold
Now then Sunrisegirl what's all this about yorkshires that haven't just come out the oven? Aunt Bessie is just not repeat not, proper.
Now, it's a plane. The food has been made somewhere hundreds if not thousands of miles away and it's reheated. No chef anywhere for miles. I'd be quite happy with a microwaved ready meal to be honest, as long as it were of the Sainsburys/Waitrose variety. Sometimes there's not enough of it I think. Eating and drinking passes the time.
For some, very high quality food is a differentiator between airlines and classes, but not everyone. It seems daft to think that anything provided up in the air as much other than reheated preprepared stuff, which is fine as long as it tastes nice and is well presented.

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Well, I've just come back from an hour of "boot camp" in the November drizzle and popped a M&S fish pie in the oven. Delicious - but maybe that's because I was starving. If they could bring that back to Club World I would be a very happy bunny.

Of course, it's not as good as the fish pie at Sheekey's where I dine at least 8 times a week...
Old Nov 17, 10, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI blue, VS Silver, Starwood gold, Marriott silver, HH gold, IHG gold
Originally Posted by BahrainLad View Post
Well, I've just come back from an hour of "boot camp" in the November drizzle and popped a M&S fish pie in the oven. Delicious ..
The BA fish pie was the only time I ever ate fish pie and liked it every time. What must they have put in it?
Old Nov 17, 10, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by chipster View Post
Now then Sunrisegirl what's all this about yorkshires that haven't just come out the oven? Aunt Bessie is just not repeat not, proper. .
Well I don't know if it was Aunt Bessie's or Uncle Tom Cobley's but it was big and yummy!! Just the perfect crispiness on the outside and suitably soft (but not soggy) on the inside. The roasts were lovely and crispy on the outside and soft inside. The beef was more like a piece of fillet steak rather than slices of beef, but it was very tender and perfectly cooked for my tastes (not rare, not burnt!).

Interesting so many love(d) the fish pie. I couldn't eat it as it had cheese which I hate.

Perhaps some of this love/hate relationship with food is down to personal preferences.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: