Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has CW food been knowingly taken downmarket?

Has CW food been knowingly taken downmarket?

Old Dec 7, 10, 6:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by dm827430 View Post
from a friend in the the know
BA are currently undertaking market research on the quality of food and drink served on LH
hopefully enough will complain
Thanks for reminding me. That mail was sitting in my Inbox but has now been dealt with. I gave them, I hope, honest feedback.

Just hope the food on our MCO flight tomorrow is good or I'll be in trouble
Old Dec 7, 10, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC: Gold
BA vs QF

OK, so perhaps on catering and service BA can no longer be compared to CX or SQ.

Last week I went to SIN...out BA, back QF. I'd say BA ought not to go below QF, which it beats on hard product, but not on soft.

On the booze front: QF had higher quality wines, but BA always wins on quantity...for all their sins, you're rarely thirsty with BA.
Chablis and Reisling not loaded on BA (it never is now, I challenge anyone to find either). Overall: QF wins

Food: BA: I had the roast which was pretty bad, but good on quantity. Breakfast: BA had run out of my preferred choice, again.
QF breakfast outstanding. QF wins

Service: BA was a better than average crew, but still indifferent. QF were very warm, welcoming and accomodating. QF wins by a mile.

Seats: I slept for 8 hours both ways with both carriers. QF bed obviously not as comfy and it's annoying if you are locked into a window seat. BA wins

Conclusion: QF is miles ahead of BA on service and food. It ought to be comparable if BA wishes to keep up its CW brand. For me, overall the better service in QF compensates almost entirely for the lack of a fully flat bed.
Old Dec 7, 10, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst View Post
I don't think the conclusion holds because there are far more differences between the services than the food. LCY-JFK has just two services a day with timings which may not suit, it takes quite a bit longer unless you're departing from Canary Wharf or thereabouts, some people are (rightly or wrongly) put off by the stop in Shannon or the small plane, and what you say only applies in one direction as on the home run you want a meal you get the same pigswill from the JFK CW dining as everyone else and no Arrivals Lounge for breakfast.

Furthermore, people were talking about paying an extra 20 or 30 for decent food, not an extra 200 (each way). If I want to upgrade my food the easiest and most cost-effective way is to use miles to move to the front.
I didn't see the comparison as ideal just that it existed, the increased costs have always appeared highly variable to me. You get a full meal on the return sector to LCY if you so choose and indeed it was rather nice on my last trip. There is no sleeper service per se on the JFK-LCY flights.

I would generally not consider the food in F to be a significant upgrade form that in J and in fact often the food in J has been preferable to some of the nasty options I have experienced in F. I certainly wouldn't burn the miles only for the food because all my experience leads me to believe I would be disappointed and it would have been better to have bought a Plane Food picnic at around 15 a head.

Surely though the problem is that like the issues of comparability of the LCY service you highlight, food is only one part of the overall proposition. For many the fact they can fly direct from a reasonably local airport on a flat bed and enjoy broadly decent lounges, with reasonable IFE and English speaking crew trumps poor quality food. BA's traffic stats seem to have risen in inverse proportion to the perception of food quality.

BA cannot really offer better food for a fee in J or F because it undercuts the whole J or F proposition where the pitch no longer resembles the reality. None of this is a great state of affairs and perhaps the surveys will change things but as a cynic I suspect they will be used to justify further "enhancements". BA could "respond to customer needs" arising from uneaten food by removing some of the food which would be uneaten

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Dec 7, 10 at 7:27 am
Old Dec 7, 10, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
I would generally not consider the food in F to be a significant upgrade form that in J
I strongly disagree with this. Even the LCY-JFK food is not as good a standard as F food. And if you do get a bad meal in F, you can just order something else.

BA's traffic stats seem to have risen in inverse proportion to the decline in food quality.
I genuinely can't tell whether you intended to put what is, in effect, a double negative in there.
Old Dec 7, 10, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst View Post
I strongly disagree with this. Even the LCY-JFK food is not as good a standard as F food. And if you do get a bad meal in F, you can just order something else.
In theory if you are willing to wait for what can be quite a while to deliver a replacement (assuming they have your 2nd choice). I strongly disagree that F food is generally better than LCY-JFK food except perhaps for the soup option in F. The style of serving is better but we surely all favour substance over style don't we?

My personal ratio of good meals in First to poor bordering on (and sometimes achieving) inedibilty is something like 1:3 or a 25% likelihood of a nice meal.

No double negative meant in my post and now corrected.
Old Dec 7, 10, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Plane Food picnics may work when flying out of T5 but in most other airports / terminals you'd be down to a plastic wrapped sandwich or McDonalds.

Please BA, just fix the food! I'm not even sure if it would cost more - there may be nothing inherently wrong with the food - it's what they do to it.
Old Dec 10, 10, 8:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Our J flight to MCO from LGW was interesting. The 777 was changed from 3 to 4 classes so we ended up in the F cabin, with other Golds, but J service. The food was actually pretty good but not as AA domestic F although we have two flights go technical so still at MIA waiting for flight to TPA. 5 AA planes were taken out of service at LAX this morning, including ours!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: