LHR-ORY Announced

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
LHR-ORY Announced

Originally Posted by BA
Services are planned to start to Paris Orly on Monday 10th January 2011, to complement our existing Heathrow – Charles de Gaulle operation.

The first flight will leave London Heathrow at 10:05 local, arriving in Paris Orly 12:25 local. Further schedule details are shown below.

Winter 2010 from 10th January 2011
LHR – ORY
BA334 10:05 12:25 123456.
BA338 19:20 21:40 12345.7

ORY - LHR
BA331 07:25 07:55 123456.
BA335 13:35 14:05 123456.

The service will start with twelve flights per week in both directions. This is will increase to double daily, i.e. fourteen flights per week, from Summer 2011.

Summer 2011 from 27th March 2011
LHR – ORY
BA334 09:55 12:15 1234567
BA338 19:35 21:55 1234567

ORY - LHR
BA331 08:30 09:00 1234567
BA335 13:40 14:10 1234567

The route will be service by the Airbus 319, Airbus A320 and Airbus 321 with Club Europe and Euro Traveller cabins on board. Return prices including tax start from £359 in Club Europe and £119 in Euro Traveller.

Located 17 Km South of the centre of Paris, Orly airport has a different catchment area to Charles de Gaulle, 26 Km North-East of Paris, and is very accessible to the business centre of Paris. A BA operation at Orly will complement Iberia and OpenSkies services already offered at the airport. The new route is on sale now.

Last edited by G-BOAC; Nov 15, 2010 at 5:12 am
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Apart from connections to OpenSkies is there any real benefit of this? Although ORY is closer to the centre (I think), I've never had any real issues getting to/from CDG. What is there in the way of lounge facilities for BA in ORY?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:14 am

Programs: BAEC, Blue for now.
A return to ORY after the French government insisted BA and AA moved all their flights to CDG in the 90s.

It's still a much nicer airport than CDG, and closer to Paris for a quick weekend jaunt and also offers some interesting connections to parts of the French speaking world not served from CDG.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Presumably this is nothing more than a slot holding operation? LCY-ORY would make much more sense, surely?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by layz
Apart from connections to OpenSkies
I wonder if BA will sell through tickets.

I would have thought that they might want to be careful to avoid cannibalising revenue from their LHR services.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Could be slot holding for Open Skies or IB I guess, but it could also be a decent attempt to gain French based passengers looking to either do day trips to LHR (which the winter timings look especially good for) or more likely to transit at LHR. Rally not sure the UK traveller is the primary target for this route.

The terminal choice will be interesting at ORY. Do they head to Ouest and share facilities with IB (who have quite an operation there, including a land side lounge) or join OpenSkies over at Sud (and use the lounge there)?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:45 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
OpenSkies did apply for slots at ORY to operate a service to YUL so one pair may be baby sitting those slots. Or as BL suggests this route could switch to LCY when aircraft are available.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
im quite surprised that it isnt either LCY or LGW - ORY as i commented in a previous thread !

where are the slots coming from at LHR to run this route ?

cs
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:53 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
I think if anyone was intending on saving time from southern Ile-de-France they'd take the Eurostar instead (Antony-Gare du Nord in about 35 minutes). The timings are I suppose all right for connections, but with only two flights a day, and a transit time of about 1h15 between CDG and ORL, I'm not sure many people would find it worthwhile to wait around T5 for an ORL connection as opposed to a CDG flight. And if Orlyval goes down, which has happened (to me ), you're stuffed.

Presumably they will use the OpenSkies lounge at Orly Sud?

I think BahrainLad wins this week's prize -- otherwise it doesn't seem to make any sense at all.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC, Blue for now.
But BA did used to fly to ORY and were publicly unhappy with being forced to move everything to CDG at the time.

As I remember it, they claimed yields to ORY were much better than CDG... mainly due to local French corporate contracts.

I used ORY a fair bit on BA when living in Reunion... connecting to Air Liberte who were a BA affiliate at the time.

I think LHRORY could be quite a decent earner for BA.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Hmm! Interesting...!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:14 am

Programs: BA
Another nail in the coffin of Eurostar for giving up their Waterloo terminal, which was so convenient for many in Southwest London, Surrey and the Thames Valley, with its direct rail connections to those areas, and concentrating over at St Pancras, which many from these areas (which is the most wealthy quadrant of London, and the most likely to generate business traffic to Paris) find inconvenient.

It's only when you had experience of getting rom this direction to Waterloo (good) and now have experience of getting to St Pancras (bad) that you realise what a disincentive this now is. It's the same from Canary Wharf - a quick and direct 12 minute trip on the Jubilee Line to Waterloo replaced by a journey normally taking three times that to St Pancras. Cityjet have also noticed the pick-up in Paris business from LCY.

I had already noticed BA 767s coming back onto a few Paris CDG schedules, which they have been missing from since Eurostar opened.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:17 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
LHR - ORY is a Godsend to all of Southern Paris where there is a lot of buiness traffi - it will do away with having to deal with either the Francilienne or the Peripherique which through most of the day alternates between F1 and a parking lot. BA used to have 3 flights a day and a couple operated by TAT that BA owned at the time

It is much closer in to central Paris - and as the train really is not an easy option for peole who are not connected by Underground to Kings Cross-St Pancras I for one am delighted.

It also means far better connections to the French domestic traffic. I had to get to Biarritz for a wedding and might have had to consider Ryanair ( ).

Bahrain Boy AF do LCY - ORY but not at weekends and those dupmy AJ80s are so inconvenient for us shoppers.

Clearly the crews will be night stopped - I wonder where.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:18 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by WHBM
Another nail in the coffin of Eurostar for giving up their Waterloo terminal, which was so convenient for many in Southwest London, Surrey and the Thames Valley, with its direct rail connections to those areas, and concentrating over at St Pancras, which many from these areas (which is the most wealthy quadrant of London, and the most likely to generate business traffic to Paris) find inconvenient.

It's only when you had experience of getting rom this direction to Waterloo (good) and now have experience of getting to St Pancras (bad) that you realise what a disincentive this now is. It's the same from Canary Wharf - a quick and direct 12 minute trip on the Jubilee Line to Waterloo replaced by a journey normally taking three times that to St Pancras. Cityjet have also noticed the pick-up in Paris business from LCY.
As someone who lives on a 20 minute direct train journey in to Waterloo, Im travelling to Paris via LHR in June.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Clearly the crews will be night stopped - I wonder where.
We are currently accommodated in central Paris, so I presume that if ORY is closer to the centre, then that is where it will be. This will probably look similar, for us crew, as Milan... Where we fly in one airport and out of another. In Milan we operate into MXP, night stop, then fly out of LIN and vice versa...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.