Search

OT: Pants (and others)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
OT: Pants (and others)

Another topic about the English language. Ever since I have been frequenting the BAEC section of FT my vocabulary has improved with nice little gems like 'pants'. Recently a UK colleague of mine noted that he was surprised that someone not from the UK would use it to describe something less than optimal.

I am pretty sure that my English has become more British in the last 2000 posts or so. Any more typical British gems I can surprise my colleagues across the pond with? Also for personal pleasure of course. I love language.

And of course I intend to use many of them in my letters of complaint and/or praise to BA, so we are at least slightly on topic...
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by henkybaby

And of course I intend to use many of them in my letters of complaint and/or praise to BA, so we are at least slightly on topic...
If you write to complain about a dirty loo, better to say "loo" or "lavatory", not "toilet".
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
I can't offer any right now, but in a slightly-related story I was once in Holland on a customer site talking to a Dutch customer support person for a large computer manufacturer. We were trying to get to the bottom of an issue with a particular piece of equipment and he said (I quote), "Crumbs, I haven't seen that message in a while". Crumbs?? I hadn't heard many British people use that one, never mind a non-native English speaker...

So henky, you're not alone!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If you write to complain about a dirty loo, better to say "loo" or "lavatory", not "toilet".
And definitely not "washroom", which seems to be BA's strange term for said cubicle..
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:56 am

Any more typical British gems I can surprise my colleagues across the pond with?
Like, whatever. 'in'it.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
I like the British appropriation if the word muppet. Only we could turn something that in the US is cheerful fun and positive and use it as a pejorative.

edit I suppose we could add Mickey Mouse to that list too. We are a grumpy bunch.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I always say that I'm going to-the-loo since that sounds exactly like the Dutch toedeloe, which means see you later.

Crumbs... I like. If you know the etymology of the word, even better. Pants was a hard one to figure out...

The Dutch use muppet and Mickey Mouse in the same negative way. Guess we share more than a royal link.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC, Blue for now.
I have an Austrian friend who I introduced to the word 'Spiffing' when describing a particularly excellent evening we had all spent together as friends.

The on-line definitions of the word do not really give it justice.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Sailor99
Like, whatever. 'in'it.
OMFG LMFAO innit...

My Swedish friend now makes full use of the word "jolly". A "jolly" is english slang for a holiday, however can be used as a different meaning when a colleague is taking a business trip and happens to stay in the destination over the weekend at the companies expense.

Eg:

Henkycolleague: I am flying to Hawaii with work on Wednesday, Ive never been before.
Henkybaby: You lucky bstard, when are you back?
Henkcolleague: My flight gets back on Monday afternoon
Henkybaby: Ah are you taking the family with you for a jolly over the weekend then?
Henkycolleague: Erm, How do you know that word?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:14 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by cat 35
I like the British appropriation if the word muppet. Only we could turn something that in the US is cheerful fun and positive and use it as a pejorative.

edit I suppose we could add Mickey Mouse to that list too. We are a grumpy bunch.
And only the British could ban something as innocent as Gollywogs under the racism banner It was the main reason people bought Robertsons Jam!

Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
I always say that I'm going to-the-loo since that sounds exactly like the Dutch toedeloe, which means see you later.

The Dutch use muppet and Mickey Mouse in the same negative way. Guess we share more than a royal link.
I never knew todaloo was from Dutch. I am disproportionately pleased that I have learnt that today!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by globalste
And only the British could ban something as innocent as Gollywogs under the racism banner It was the main reason people bought Robertsons Jam!
Once again we are the same... We have Sinterklaas (a sort of Santa Claus) who always comes to NL in December to celebrate his birthday on the 5th. He comes from Spain so he brings his helpers, who in this case are called 'Black Pete's'. Mostly because the tale stems from the Moors and they where more or less black.

You can do the remaining math...
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Bronze
I quite like using 'chuffed' in conversation with friends back in the US.

Also I've acquired the habit of replacing a perfectly good 'z' with an 's' in various words, such as authorise. I wonder how long it will take to get over that =)
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
If for any reason you need to discuss erasers, please don't refer to them as a rubber in the US - totally different thing.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cat 35
I never knew todaloo was from Dutch. I am disproportionately pleased that I have learnt that today!
Unfortunately we borrowed that one from you guys... I meant I use toedeloe in a Dutch sentence and since they expect it to mean 'see you later' they always take a while to figure out I am actually going to the loo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.