Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

MFU with mixed booking classes (WT+ and WT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador

Planning to fly LHR-MIA in late January and would like to use an MFU to upgrade to Club – I can only find availability on the way out for the week I am looking at, so if its possible I am just as happy to fly back WT and spend the difference in price to WT+ on the hotel.

So my booking would be WT+ out (MFUd to Club) and WT back. The functionality available in the normal booking engine to have different travel classes in the results (including downgrading to the class below) doesn’t seem to be present in the ‘Book and upgrade’ tool.

I am expecting I will have to give the call centre a ring – but thought I would check if this is possible before I do so. And if it is all too much hassle I guess I can go WT+ both ways…

And of course, recommendations for Miami welcome!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Yes, you can do this (I've done it several times in the past, although split between WT+ and Club MFUing to Club/F). No worries about needing an MFU-able class in WT (expensive YBH) even though you're not MFUing, either. Just give them a call.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Yep, done it too... Although I would do it in reverse. Who needs a flat bed on a day flight after all? With the current sale you can easily by WT+ both ways by the way. The return WT/WT+ would be only about 100 pounds cheaper than the full WT+ options I believe.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC | VS FC | LH M&M
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Yep, done it too... Although I would do it in reverse. Who needs a flat bed on a day flight after all? With the current sale you can easily by WT+ both ways by the way. The return WT/WT+ would be only about 100 pounds cheaper than the full WT+ options I believe.
I second that.

I did this recently between LHR - IAD. The agent waived the telephone booking fee too.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:31 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by taff_2003
I second that.
Ahem. The OP stated that there was no availability on the return, hence the question

I did this recently between LHR - IAD. The agent waived the telephone booking fee too.
Absolutely - do NOT pay the offline fee, as this is a booking that can't be completed online.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC | VS FC | LH M&M
Originally Posted by Teece
Ahem. The OP stated that there was no availability on the return, hence the question
I see your point
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Teece
He could fly back from Orlando... I see plenty of seats there.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, various other pittances
I could easily be mistaken but I always thought that to MFU either leg both legs had to be in an upgradeable class? E.g. T out, Y back you could MFU outbound to Club but, say, T out, V/M/disc econ back you could not?

If this has changed then great news as obviously I've been booking return T fares as I thought it was the cheapest way to be able to MFU a leg.

Last edited by sbpeat; Nov 9, 2010 at 6:51 am Reason: No coffee yet - poor grammar and diabolical spelling
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbpeat
I could easily be mistaken but I always thought that to MFU either leg both legs had to be in an upgradeable class? E.g. T out, Y back you could MFU outbound to Club but, say, T out, V/M/disc econ back you could not?

If this has changed then great news as obviously I've been booking return T fares as I thought it was the cheapest way to be able to MFU a leg.
Apparently. No idea if it ever was as you suggest, but no need for it now.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
No idea if it ever was as you suggest
It was, but changed a while back.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thank you all for the helpful responses, much appreciated ^

He could fly back from Orlando... I see plenty of seats there.
I would never have thought of that - if I am paying for WT+ anyway, I suppose I might as well fly in Club! I"m sure I can rustle up a cheap flight from MIA to MCO.

Hmm, this trip on a whim gets more complex by the minute...
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daftboy
I"m sure I can rustle up a cheap flight from MIA to MCO.
Or even drive and make a trip out of it. It is not that far.

If you are considering cheap flights you can also try somewhere in the Caribbean for the flight back, although I am sure that would make it (far) more expensive.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by sbpeat

This was deffo the case a couple of years back

I too will now be booking many more WTs out and WT+s in, esp now the miles for both are so similar!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
This was deffo the case a couple of years back

I too will now be booking many more WTs out and WT+s in, esp now the miles for both are so similar!
Hmm, maybe. But you stand better chance of op-up if you pay for WT+ outbound (especially if you have status). For this reason, WT+ is still my preference: MFU to CW (if available), or hope for op-up (if MFU is NOT available).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.