Paying with 2 credit cards?

Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Paying with 2 credit cards?

Frustratingly my credit limit on my new BA Amex card won't be enough to pay for some flights for next year. Will BA give me the option to pay with two cards? I don't see this as an option online but was thinking maybe over the phone?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:12 am

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Sorry NEMMIE, I don't think that this is possible with BA's booking system, although if you book the flights over the counter at a travel agent it should not be a problem.

The other option is to pay money into your AMEX account, giving you a credit balance -- you should then be able to spend the required amount (although it would probably be best to call AMEX in advance to clear this, in case a transaction limit has been set on you account).

Let us know how you get on.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:17 am

Programs: Amex BA/platinum, BAec blue.
Transfer the required ammout of funds from your bank into
your BA ax credit card 2/3 working day before you intend
to purchase the tickets, then you can buy on one credit card.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, just spoke to AMEX. The guy said basically that won't work as the system won't allow me to transfer surplus funds onto the account and the transaction would be declined. I find this odd as I have done that before onto the MBNA Virgin Amex. He did however say if the amount is not far off the credit limit to call before making the payment and they should be able to authorise it. Also that I have to wait 6 months before requesting an increase.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, Delta Skymiles, Hilton Honors, IHG One Rewards, Melia Rewards
I think it should be ok to pay with more than one card over the phone. I have done it myself, albeit it was with BA Holidays, but still should be no difference.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaz68
I think it should be ok to pay with more than one card over the phone. I have done it myself, albeit it was with BA Holidays, but still should be no difference.
BA won't do this but they will hold off 1 persons flights whilst I book the other over the phone so the price will not go up. Then I can pay one passengers tickets on each of my cards ergo getting my miles 1.5 x the amount for one of us. An ok solution to an annoying problem I guess, oh the joys of new cards with tiny credit limits lol.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:46 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Apparently there is some workaround whereby you buy a flexible ticket to say Paris, then change it to inflexible longhaul and pay the difference.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by NEMMIE
Thanks guys, just spoke to AMEX. The guy said basically that won't work as the system won't allow me to transfer surplus funds onto the account and the transaction would be declined.
I recently accidentally paid my Amex Gold card bill twice, ending up with a credit of over 1000 on it, without any problems. Any subsequent charges just reduced the balance.

That is a charge card though, so it may be different, but i'm sure i've gone credit on one of my Amex credit cards before too. Why not just try it - it'd take a few days but the worst that can happen is that the payment is rejected.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
The online system does prevent you from paying off more than the balance, however, ignoring your statement balance for a minute, you can pay off your current balance at any point in the month (ie. spend since last statement). I don't see why you could not for example order some stuff from M&S or JL, wait for it to hit your statement, pay off your interim balance and then return the items for a refund. I'd have thought that would result in a credit balance left on the card?

Edit: Just checked my account online, whereas I have paid off the statement in full last week so the payment due is nil - it does show I can pay off the 1000 ish spent since then today if I want to.

Last edited by usually sat at the back; Nov 2, 2010 at 7:21 am Reason: checked my own account
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
I had a smilar problem last year when my wife and I flew out to Australia. I rang AMEX first
before buying the tickets to confirm that the transaction would not be declined. I explained
to her that we had the money in the bank and that the account would be paid in full, as usual.
The woman explained to me that it would not even though we were going over our credit limit
by about 2,000. She did, however, point out that we would be charged a fee for going over
our limit. I remember telling her, "Yeah, considering how much we are spending, I doubt the
fee will break the bank." She just laughed

Perhaps it may be worth to seek a similar clarification before you buy. Either that, spread out
the flights over the billing cycles.

H
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
I have the same problem on Mrs BBA's BA Amex. Low limitm, and the need to push 10k through it quickly. I've transferred money onto the Amex card directly from my bank, and never has a transaction been declined, even when it took the balance into positive. As Paralytic says - just try it.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by usually sat at the back
The online system does prevent you from paying off more than the balance
Yes, just tried it for a credit card via the Amex website and got:

The amount you attempted to pay exceeds the Total Balance on your account.Please reenter a payment amount that does not exceed this value.

However, As BlackBerryAddict said, the OP may be able to transfer direct from a bank account to the credit card.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: Tesco Blue, Library Card
I have some experience in this area, you can put your account into credit with a bank transfer. However AMEX will not allow a transaction larger than your credit limit even if the account has enough credit. The only solution is to call Amex and ask for a temporary extension to your credit limit.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theaxe
I have some experience in this area, you can put your account into credit with a bank transfer. However AMEX will not allow a transaction larger than your credit limit even if the account has enough credit. The only solution is to call Amex and ask for a temporary extension to your credit limit.
Thank you for the clarification. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.