Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

TR: A Final Farewell: The Last British Airways 757 Flight (w/pics+vid)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TR: A Final Farewell: The Last British Airways 757 Flight (w/pics+vid)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Thanks Genius1 ^

As usual a very good TR. One thing that I find confusing though, is the middle seat used in CE when UK Domestic? It seems so from your picture.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Lobengula
Thanks Genius1 ^

As usual a very good TR. One thing that I find confusing though, is the middle seat used in CE when UK Domestic? It seems so from your picture.
Yes. The aircraft is a 3+3 configuration throughout on domestic services.

Making a maximum domestic configuration of:

A319 - 132
A320 - 162
A321 - 188
B767 - 252

Now Retired:
B757 - 186
Old Oct 30, 2010, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Genius1
The fireworks were part of halloween/early bonfire night celebrations. There were lots of them.

Those shoes are actually not that old. I think they were purchased mid-2009. I do seem to wear them a lot on flights, though.
I was pulling your leg about the fireworks.

As for the shoes.....my wife is always saying to me "you're not wearing that pair again are you....you've got lots of shoes".
Old Oct 31, 2010, 3:21 am

Programs: BA
Thanks Genius1 for a well written trip report, as usual.

The first photo made me feel rather nostalgic. Though not on the 757, it was on a combination of 747's and Tristars in the Negus and Negus livery that I first flew BA. It remains my favourite.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold - so flying too much again... plus AA, LX, VS and too many hotel programmes to mention
Originally Posted by HIDDY
As for the shoes.....my wife is always saying to me "you're not wearing that pair again are you....you've got lots of shoes".
HIDDY, Are all your shoes made from capybara leather? Like the ones you were wearing in the 64A thread? hhttp://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...what-seat.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capybara

Seriously though - I was given a bag made from that kind of leather after giving a lecture at a conference near Buenos Aires a few years ago. My enthusiasm for the bag somewhat waned when I was told that it was 'the largest species of rat in the world' though. My host's limited English (and my non-existent Spanish) made further clarification impossible.
Your comment made it possible to identify the actual species (so the bag might get used if I can find it) Thanks!

Back on topic now - Genius1 - thanks for the TR. I do remember excitedly visiting the flight deck of the (then new) 757 on the way to Portugal on holiday with my Dad many years ago - makes me feel quite old to see that they're retiring...

Last edited by FlyingDentist; Oct 31, 2010 at 5:04 am Reason: add link to HIDDY's footwear!
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

A very nice and most fitting tribute to the 757 by BA. Many thanks, Genius1 for recording the final flight so eloquently. ^
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Excellent work Genius1 thanks for a great TR and i must say it was very touching in places, and a great send off for the 757 from BA i must admit
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Fantastic trip report.

The 757 sounds very like the 767, engine roar and all that.

Does anyone know what will happen to the pilots? Are they being/have retrained to another type?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:47 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Excellent Trip Report there Genius1, well done ^

It's an awful pity nothing ever came of the discussion & ideas being bandied about on here some time ago about a special FT farewell flight of the 757. I for one would most definately made the journey over to the UK to participate in that, having never, ever, set foot on a 757 in all my travels.

Anyway, never mind.

Farewell to BA's 757's
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Thanks for the comments so far

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I was pulling your leg about the fireworks.
I thought you were. However, when I wrote that comment it was 1.30am and I had been staring at YouTube upload screens for the last hour, so forgive my stupidity.

Originally Posted by johnny5a
Does anyone know what will happen to the pilots? Are they being/have retrained to another type?
They are type rated on both the 757 and 767, and will trained to fly the 787 - according to a member of the flight crew who was talking to pax in the cabin on the flight.

The 767s will be receiving upgraded 767-400 style interiors in the next year.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:25 am

The 767s will be receiving upgraded 767-400 style interiors in the next year.
I was quite drunk at the time having had several G&T's on the way up, and several more on the return leg, so by the time that the training captain came out to talk to us I was quite merry, but didn't he say that the upgrades were going to start from next year?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Dave_C
but didn't he say that the upgrades were going to start from next year?
Very possibly, I was a couple of rows behind where the Training Captain was talking to some other passengers, and overhead snippets.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:38 am

Very possibly, I was a couple of rows behind where the Training Captain was talking to some other passengers, and overhead snippets.
That was me, we were in 6ABC on the way back.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
The Training Captain was talking to me on the flight up from LHR to EDI and he said that the main reason that the 757 was being retired (when in fact G-CEPT is only 12 years old) - is that they consume 20% more fuel than an A321.

Given that the 757 and 767 were developed for compatibility - would the 767s be just as inefficient - I guess unlike the 757 though - there is no direct replacement available until the 787 arrives.......
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Such a shame about this being the last flight!

I used to love flying on the 757, it made be feel I was going Long Haul, with the toilets mid cabin! Shame it was only the shuttle MAN-LHR

Oh well....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.