Wiki Posts
Search

Why cant I have a cig at lhr?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Why cant I have a cig at lhr?

Like any prompt, considerate person...I intend to check-in at LHR, 3hrs before my BA longhaul flight tomorrow, then go through security and spend 2.5hrs, if lucky, sitting aimlessly in front of some duty free shops, until my flight.

I was told previously here it's against the law to have smoking areas anywhere in a UK airport, outside areas included...which chimed in from what I read about Virgin's roof terrace, where the website said it was non-smoking.

But last weekend I went through security at NCL & there were clearly marked signs for the smoking section (outside) on the 2nd floor. Was owned by 'Eagle Diner' & said customers only allowed.(but most weren't).

So can anyone tell me why us smokers are being treated like dirt basically? You can get drunk at 6a.m. in any of their bars, play the slots & buy scratchcards to your heart's content...so is a rather odd morality here, if is the case.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by tristan727
So can anyone tell me why us smokers are being treated like dirt basically? You can get drunk at 6a.m. in any of their bars, play the slots & buy scratchcards to your heart's content...so is a rather odd morality here, if is the case.
I'm off to get my popcorn and comfy slippers for this one!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Don't check-in so early then.

I've been smoking for over 40 years and I can do without a fag for longhaul flights. Yes it would be nice to relax and have one inside the terminal but the rules say no. Like it or lump it.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
I know this is stating the obvious, but once youve checked in, why do you need to go through security straight away. Simply step back outside the terminal and have your ciggie. Check the length of the security queues and youll probably have time for several more.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I will open with:

Because cigarettes stink and if you are too stupid to save your own life than BAA will do it for you.

(Ex smoker here, so I do sympathize but I am in favor of the prohibitions)
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:12 am
Original Poster

It's down to BAA, isn't it...the b'tards. I'd put my house on it that they have their own cozy little smoking areas for pilots, staff etc. All this time I'd thought it was the law...which helped to mollify the jangled nerves a tad...I mean 15hrs we're expected to go out without a cig...when only need be say 13...who the f*** are they to dictate to me like that?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henkybaby
I will open with:

Because cigarettes stink and if you are too stupid to save your own life than BAA will do it for you.

(Ex smoker here, so I do sympathize but I am in favor of the prohibitions)
Well I got a whole load of things I'd like prohibited...but unlike Labour I believe in giving people some freedoms. I'll smoke Menthol if will help the stink issue there.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
It's down to BAA, isn't it...the b'tards. I'd put my house on it that they have their own cozy little smoking areas for pilots, staff etc. All this time I'd thought it was the law...which helped to mollify the jangled nerves a tad...I mean 15hrs we're expected to go out without a cig...when only need be say 13...who the f*** are they to dictate to me like that?
Try nicorette gum (or whatever it is called in your jurisdiction of choice). The new flavors can be rather delicious, and used correctly, will satisfy any urge for a ciggi while flying across the world.

I think more airports should sell nicorette gum.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Well I got a whole load of things I'd like prohibited...but unlike Labour I believe in giving people some freedoms.
Yeah, but it is such a burden on the health care system to keep you alive for a couple of more years later on... So I don't think we should make it any easier for you to slowly kill yourself.

And it is not even Friday!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgxoxo
Try nicorette gum (or whatever it is called in your jurisdiction of choice).
Actually I'll be trying NCL instead, the next time, when needing a connecting airport to say Dubai...failing to see the commercial sense here...considering an outside area affects no-one who isn't smoking.

And boo to BA for apparently not helping us here & putting any pressure on BAA...why should I keep paying to fly BA from lhr & lgw...if am apparently entering major anti-smoking facist territory each time? May as well go from Exeter via AMS next time I go longhaul...I bet the Dutch aren't so up themselves, bout these things.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:26 am

Actually I'll be trying NCL instead, the next time, when needing a connecting airport to say Dubai...failing to see the commercial sense here...considering an outside area affects no-one who isn't smoking.

And boo to BA for apparently not helping us here & putting any pressure on BAA...why should I keep paying to fly BA from lhr & lgw...if am apparently entering major anti-smoking facist territory each time? May as well go from Exeter via AMS next time I go longhaul...I bet the Dutch aren't so up themselves, bout these things.
It's against the law to smoke indoors anywhere in the UK, you can use dedicated smoking areas outside the terminals at LHR if you wish.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
BRS also has an airside smoking area: a plain, paved 'yard' with no roof ... but it's good enough for the fix!

And boo to BA for apparently not helping us here & putting any pressure on BAA...why should I keep paying to fly BA from lhr & lgw...if am apparently entering major anti-smoking facist territory each time?
^+1: Big boos!

...I bet the Dutch aren't so up themselves, bout these things.
Indeed not! Both KL Crown Lounges at AMS have civilised smoking areas (by which I mean they aren't the ultra-confined, nicotine aquaria you get in some airports - they're actually just a normal part of the lounge separated with glass screens/doors. And you can even smoke in other (non-lounge) parts of Schiphol: notably, Murphy's Irish Bar in the (non-Schengen) D-pier (I'm not sure if you have to buy something to use the room, but I always manage a 'swift half', just for good measure).

Also, FYI, there's a thread in TravelBuzz about where in which airports you can smoke after having been through security: link!

-- Henry
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Yeah, but it is such a burden on the health care system to keep you alive for a couple of more years later on... So I don't think we should make it any easier for you to slowly kill yourself.

And it is not even Friday!
I think the tax raised from cigarettes looks after that, and then some.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Whenever I've been in the "normal" toilets in T5 (admittedly only a couple of times and a while ago), they've stank of smoke.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
I think the tax raised from cigarettes looks after that, and then some.
^^^ Who was it who had the slogan, "No taxation without representation?" Rings vague bells about a mad king who talked to trees and the British Transatlantic Colonies.

-- H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.