Mis-connecting with BA on a QF ticket

Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Mis-connecting with BA on a QF ticket

Hi All,

Next week i'll be travelling from DUS-HKG via LHR. However I only have a 1hr layover in LHR, and understand there could be a possibility of missing the connection BA27. This is the last BA/QF flight of the day - is there any likelihood of being rebooked on flight CX254 or even VS200 later that evening, so will I be made to travel on the next available BA/QF flight the next day?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Put all thoughts of miss-connecting out of your mind. You have 1hr 20min to connect....my money's on you making it.
Chances are if you miss the BA flight you'll also be too late for the others so next day departure looks likeliest.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Welcome to FT, ddorfer86 ^

I agree with HIDDY on this. I've misconnected so many times at LHR, the best bet is to try not to worry about it. If you're inbound from DUS is on time, you're likely to make it though.

In your position though, I personally would try and travel without checked baggage, or at least to make sure you have supplies for a couple of days in your hand luggage.

Last edited by wiluk; Oct 21, 2010 at 3:24 am Reason: Grammar
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
I hope this is all on the same ticket...
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:46 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
I wont worry about it too much. the thing is you are connecting from BA to BA...and as far as I know either flight arrives and depart from terminal 5. So you should make it without problem if you incoming is on time.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. Yes, it's all on one ticket (though paper, not electronic if it makes a difference), so the risk its not mine as such. It's only a 1 hour break though, 20:25-21:25, perhaps the flights are timed differently on different days.

Out of interest, how long does it take to transfer from T5 to T3?

Fingers crossed
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Welcome to FlyerTalk. ddorfer86

The T5-T3 transfer sequence takes about 30-45 minutes but much of the this depends on how busy security is at the T3 flight connections centre.

Disembark and walk from gate to bus stop downstairs: 5 minutes
Wait for bus: 0-5 minutes
Bus journey: 10 minutes
Security: 10-20 minutes

Bear in mind though boarding for your QF flight may begin about 40 minutes before departure, so your connection looks very tight.

On the positive side, BA does provide assistance to passengers on short transfers - i've seen this in action on multiple occasions since this service was introduced earlier this month. You can read more about the new Transfer Support service on the oneworld site, see link below.

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/news/details?objectID=23140
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:02 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Prospero
Welcome to FlyerTalk. ddorfer86

The T5-T3 transfer sequence takes about 30-45 minutes but much of the this depends on how busy security is at the T3 flight connections centre.

Disembark and walk from gate to bus stop downstairs: 5 minutes
Wait for bus: 0-5 minutes
Bus journey: 10 minutes
Security: 10-20 minutes

Bear in mind though boarding for your QF flight may begin about 40 minutes before departure, so your connection looks very tight.

On the positive side, BA does provide assistance to passengers on short transfers - i've seen this in action on multiple occasions since this service was introduced earlier this month. You can read more about the new Transfer Support service on the oneworld site, see link below.

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/news/details?objectID=23140
He is on BA27 so it will be T5 - T5. Unlike me on a similar connection, he might even get his luggage.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by wiluk
In your position though, I personally would try and travel without checked baggage, or at least to make sure you have supplies for a couple of days in your hand luggage.
This is good advice on any flight. Checked baggage does go astray unfortunately. There are some on here (including BA employees) who whinge about people taking too much hand luggage but I'd take far less if I could be absolutely certain my checked baggage would arrive.

Originally Posted by ddorfer86
Thanks for the responses. Yes, it's all on one ticket (though paper, not electronic if it makes a difference), so the risk its not mine as such. It's only a 1 hour break though, 20:25-21:25, perhaps the flights are timed differently on different days.
Until the clock change there seems to be a 2025 arrival every day. As there is also an 1830 arrival and quite a few others from DUS, I'm amazed you risked such a short connection. Others will disagree including some who fly far more than me, but I would never risk such a tight connection when connecting short haul to long haul like this if I could possibly avoid it.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, Flyingblue Gold, Alitalia Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ddorfer86
Out of interest, how long does it take to transfer from T5 to T3?

Fingers crossed
I think you may want to read my post
http://subhi.com/publish/2010/06/19/...e-at-heathrow/
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If you do have to travel the next day remember that QF has a flight leaving at midday to HKG. So as long as that flight is not full you will not have to wait a whole day.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Bit of an update...having spoken to Qantas ticketing at FRA, they were able to rebook me on BA943 at ~18:00, so looks like all will be well. Strangely this was not an option when I booked.

Once again, thanks for your responses, it was very insightful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.