Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Romantic Weekend Break!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My top choice would be Tallinn after a heavy snowfall. Utterly beautiful and hugely romantic. Ceske Krumlov (couple of hours outside Prague) is also delightful.

Prague is lovely but always busy. St P is a remarkable place but doesn't feel romantic , dunno why. Venice is a heartbreakers but the weather could be very iffy in November and you'd need to check the tide tables. Paris is way overrated IMO.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
My top choice would be Tallinn after a heavy snowfall. Utterly beautiful and hugely romantic. Ceske Krumlov (couple of hours outside Prague) is also delightful.

Prague is lovely but always busy. St P is a remarkable place but doesn't feel romantic , dunno why. Venice is a heartbreakers but the weather could be very iffy in November and you'd need to check the tide tables. Paris is way overrated IMO.
Totall agree Swanhunter went to Paris years ago and thought its nice but far to hyped up in my opinion!

P
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Zamoyska
I think snow is better. I suggest a trip to the Alps/Rockies in Jan/Feb ...
He's going next month so finding snow might be a problem.

Athens is a great destination....it'll still be warm and considering my wife and I bought our wedding rings there and photographed them on the Parthenon during sunset I would have to say is very romantic as well.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
He's going next month so finding snow might be a problem.

Athens is a great destination....it'll still be warm and considering my wife and I bought our wedding rings there and photographed them on the Parthenon during sunset I would have to say is very romantic as well.
Athens? Now thats a good idea Hiddy i never thought of that plus like you say it will be warm and the Girlfriend will like that

I have so many suggestions now i dont no which one to choose
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:49 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Padmeister
I have so many suggestions now i dont no which one to choose
May I suggest you go back to basics and keep the "romantic" bit clearly in mind?

Many of the destinations suggested are amongst my favourites and you need to be clear that you said a place for a "romantic weekend" ... and that may be different from a favourite destination.

Of course large cities can be romantic but ..... sometimes somewhere a bit smaller and slightly less industrial and/or touristy might be better .........
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uk1
May I suggest you go back to basics and keep the "romantic" bit clearly in mind?

Many of the destinations suggested are amongst my favourites and you need to be clear that you said a place for a "romantic weekend" ... and that may be different from a favourite destination.

Of course large cities can be romantic but ..... sometimes somewhere a bit smaller and slightly less industrial and/or touristy might be better .........
Romantic is the thing here so Prague is still a strong possibilty plus cannes, st tropez the south of france that sort of thing, i am just trying to say that i have had that many suggestions now i dont no what best to choose from them all but i am so gratefull to everyone giving input
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Dont get me wrong i can look after myself anyway but i dont want the mrs to be upset if she gets something nicked out of her bag while were there as i hear far to many times that pick pockets are a big problem in prague
In that case, Bucharest is not recommended. Too many feral dogs and too high a risk of pickpockets and other (generally non-violent) crimes if you don't want any hassles. It's not very romantic either, and can be extremely cold in November (by British standard, not by Alaskan standard). I didn't really find pickpockets in PRG to be a big problem though.

I think HIDDY's suggestion of Athens is quite good. It's relatively warm (I could walk about quite happily without an overcoat at the end of November), and Grande Bretagne is a lovely hotel there. However, bear in mind they may still be having odd strikes and demonstrations continuing into November, causing disruption to your travel schedule. Same has been the case with France lately. Almost every recent trip of mine to France has been disrupted for one reason or another by industrial action and it spoils things a bit.

If you can cope with the cold, I'd recommend Krakow. I don't know if BA goes there, but it is a lovely (pretty) city and compact, great for a weekend break, and no strikes that I've heard of lately.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Oct 4, 2010 at 11:34 am
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:29 am
uk1
Suspended

Romantic is the thing here so Prague is still a strong possibilty plus cannes, st tropez the south of france that sort of thing, i am just trying to say that i have had that many suggestions now i dont no what best to choose from them all but i am so gratefull to everyone giving input
I love Cannes ..... and go two or three times a year and if you stay in a very good hotel (expensive) hotel in a suite it can be very good. But there can't be many places less romantic and depressing than if you stay in a small overpriced room in a secondary hotel! Cannes is only a place I'd go for a romantic weekend if the budget is a good one. I'm also not sure it's an easy place to eat at - it sounds daft but unless you travel out of Cannes into the hills it can be tough to find a nice romantic meal. Nice is less romantic but in my view is easier to find places to eat at ... but doesn't have many good hotels. Have you been to St Tropez?

I suggested Lucca earlier because it's a smallish intimate walled town that is particularly romantic at night. There's some wonderful small hotels and some really great food. There's also just enough to keep you interested for a weekend. For example there's a museum where they recreated all of Leonardo's inventions. It's small enough for you to get personal attention everywhere and you'll find it quieter whereras a town with a lot of bustle might seem different from a "romantic" point of view.

All of us have a different view of what a romantic weekend destination is but in my mind it's somewhere small and unhurried where you concentrate on each other rather than lot's of bustle.

Good luck with your decision and your weekend.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:43 am

My top choice would be Tallinn after a heavy snowfall. .
I visited there several times just after the Russians pulled out. I also went back with the wife a few years ago and saw that it had just become another stag weekend away type of place - which it always was with the Finns but has been further spoilt by the inebriated Brits courtesy of the lo-co airlines.
Prices have shot up as a result and a weekend there dodging the drunks isn't my idea of romance. Far better staying at home and going to Wetherspoons for a meal.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
What about Verona... BA fly direct from LGW. Can't beat the home of Romeo and Juliet :P
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I visited there several times just after the Russians pulled out. I also went back with the wife a few years ago and saw that it had just become another stag weekend away type of place - which it always was with the Finns but has been further spoilt by the inebriated Brits courtesy of the lo-co airlines.
Prices have shot up as a result and a weekend there dodging the drunks isn't my idea of romance. Far better staying at home and going to Wetherspoons for a meal.
The stag parties have largely moved on now...and there are some glorious hotels like the 3 Sisters. Much nicer than a JD.

Personally I am not an ATH fan. Too much concrete, not enough charm. But each to their own.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120)

The flight to Athens is 3 hours + 2 hour time difference. This makes it harder to be a weekend break unless its a long weekend break (feels like 5 hours to get there).
PRG just has 1 hour time difference so it will feel as if you have more time there.

In Athens, just allow time for traffic.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:01 pm

The stag parties have largely moved on now...and there are some glorious hotels like the 3 Sisters. Much nicer than a JD.

Personally I am not an ATH fan. Too much concrete, not enough charm. But each to their own.
I sometimes wonder if flying away for a weekend is worth it to be honest. Plenty of romantic places in the UK for a weekend away without the added hassles that flying entails nowadays.
Although I suspect the OP is after tier points more than brownie points from the girlfriend.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uk1
I love Cannes ..... and go two or three times a year and if you stay in a very good hotel (expensive) hotel in a suite it can be very good. But there can't be many places less romantic and depressing than if you stay in a small overpriced room in a secondary hotel! Cannes is only a place I'd go for a romantic weekend if the budget is a good one. I'm also not sure it's an easy place to eat at - it sounds daft but unless you travel out of Cannes into the hills it can be tough to find a nice romantic meal. Nice is less romantic but in my view is easier to find places to eat at ... but doesn't have many good hotels. Have you been to St Tropez?

I suggested Lucca earlier because it's a smallish intimate walled town that is particularly romantic at night. There's some wonderful small hotels and some really great food. There's also just enough to keep you interested for a weekend. For example there's a museum where they recreated all of Leonardo's inventions. It's small enough for you to get personal attention everywhere and you'll find it quieter whereras a town with a lot of bustle might seem different from a "romantic" point of view.

All of us have a different view of what a romantic weekend destination is but in my mind it's somewhere small and unhurried where you concentrate on each other rather than lot's of bustle.

Good luck with your decision and your weekend.
Hi uk1 no i have not been to st tropez yet but i would like to go there my boss has been he says its lovely.

Thanks for all your help and for wishing us a nice weekend!
what about venice is that not romantic?

Thanks

P
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

I sometimes wonder if flying away for a weekend is worth it to be honest. Plenty of romantic places in the UK for a weekend away without the added hassles that flying entails nowadays.
Although I suspect the OP is after tier points more than brownie points from the girlfriend.
hi again hiddy

after living in the uk all of my life i have visited most places both in my job and on a personal level so i have seen the best the uk has to offer so i need to go a bit further away so i thought within Europe would be good.

I am after both brownie points and Tier points even though i am still far away from silver!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.