Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do you not show your BP when getting onto an aircraft in the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond

A bit of a silly question really but I can't help notice the number of American Citizen who board aircraft in Europe and seem surprised that they have to show their BP's again when they step on board (the second check). This got me wondering why?

This morning from my comfy 1A I noticed a gentlemen being challenged after he walked past the crew. When asked to show his BP he replied that he had already done that at the gate and wanted to know why he had to again. Tumi case, laptop bag so presume he travels. A short [polite] explanation followed, check done and off he went down the back.

Last edited by ComputerCommuter; Sep 27, 2010 at 6:38 am
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:36 am

       

Last edited by ksharpe; Feb 2, 2017 at 2:39 am
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:37 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
No you don't show your boarding pass at the door on US carriers, nor do you show your passport/ID at the gate whilst boarding.

And by all means, showing your boarding pass at the boarding door isn't done by all European carriers, for example Swiss and KLM do not ask for it.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:39 am

These steps are mandated for UK registered carriers. Many other jurisdictions do not require this.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GVA
No you don't show your boarding pass at the door on US carriers, nor do you show your passport/ID at the gate whilst boarding.

And by all means, showing your boarding pass at the boarding door isn't done by all European carriers, for example Swiss and KLM do not ask for it.
I didn't realise it was "optional" as I've seen it every time on my "usual" carriers
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:41 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I think this must be a UK requirement for UK airlines (regardless of where the flight departs from). I am yet to fly a carrier where BPs are checked on board after being checked at the gate.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:49 am

Flying standby in the US last year I was given another passenger's boarding card who hadn't turned up at the gate and they wanted to close the flight and get away - !
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ComputerCommuter
I didn't realise it was "optional" as I've seen it every time on my "usual" carriers
It is not "optional". It is just not required. If you fly BA (or another UK carrier) from USA you will be asked for BP, however AA will not ask for BP (rather than for the purposes of helping you find your seat).

Last edited by Andriyko; Sep 27, 2010 at 7:00 am
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I think this must be a UK requirement for UK airlines (regardless of where the flight departs from). I am yet to fly a carrier where BPs are checked on board after being checked at the gate.
Indeed - BA and BD are the only airlines on which I've been asked to show my BP on boarding the aircraft.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CX, KA and SQ all require it though that may be for service reasons rather than because it is mandated.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
It is definitely a UK requirement for UK airlines.
Board an IB flight at T3 and you just whizz past a bored crew member.

Most non-UK pax who do not usually fly UK airlines would not know to keep BPs out after the gate agent checks this.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:05 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I didn't have to on LX LHR-GVA last week, but did on BA to TXL a few days later....so seems a BA (or UK airline) requirement. Although it seems strange it is just UK airlines, would make more sense if was for all airlines departing a UK airport

Don't forget the UK is the nanny state of the world. I'm sure someone, somewhere firmly believes this is a huge enhancement to security and the UK has lead the world having introduced this
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
I have to admit, after recently switcing to BA as my normal carrier, I have had to get used to this practice. In some ways it seems a bit redundant given you should have JUST had to show it to someone at the top of the jet bridge, however given human and computer error it can't hurt.

I once boarded a plane to IAH instead of EWR as there had been a last minute gate change after check-in and I was rushing to the gate after a little too much "lounging" in the lounge. Boarding passes were being processed manually due to a computer error and they wizzed me right through and on to the plane...wasn't until I notice my seat was occupied that the error was caught.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Imagine your shock if you would have landed at IAH...

AF and ME require them too.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Sorry - forgot to ask this in above post.

What does the crew look for?? In a split second they have time to look at flight details and seat number too? Plus think about where to direct you too...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.