FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   British Airways Cabin Crew Off-Duty (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1129933-british-airways-cabin-crew-off-duty.html)

Phil the Flyer Sep 25, 2010 2:47 am

British Airways Cabin Crew Off-Duty

Just checking Trip Advisor reports - subsequent to my own - for the Barbados Hilton; here is what one person had to say (19 September 2010):

... beware that it is used as a stop over for British Airways cabin crew who treat it as a holiday and can be noisy, rude, selfish and an annoyance to paying guests. :eek:

Can't say I experienced this - at least not at the hotel. ;)

ComputerCommuter Sep 25, 2010 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 14784197)
Just checking Trip Advisor reports - subsequent to my own - for the Barbados Hilton; here is what one person had to say (19 September 2010):

... beware that it is used as a stop over for British Airways cabin crew who treat it as a holiday and can be noisy, rude, selfish and an annoyance to paying guests. :eek:

was it written by an R.Branson ?? :D

adrianjc32 Sep 25, 2010 3:34 am

Having stayed there I have not seen this myself. I can just see the next trip advisor thread - beware Club World, it is used by bankers who treat it as a holiday from work and are a nuisance to paying customers.......;)

Newyork001 Sep 25, 2010 3:50 am

Translated to, we made friends with them but still did not get our upgrade :p

Gumbieben Sep 25, 2010 3:52 am

But surely the BA Crew ARE paying guests?

BingBongBoy Sep 25, 2010 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Gumbieben (Post 14784445)
But surely the BA Crew ARE paying guests?

Yes. But not at the same rates as regular guests. Hence why most Hotel chains do not offer any recognition of hotel frequent stay programs when we stay as crew. Most don't offer points from the scheme for the room rate, although will for incidentals.

However, we are quite often "second class" guests... Some hotels put us in the oldest most tired rooms. Although there are certain requirements that hotels which have a contract to provide crew accommodation agree to when they take the contract, these often go out of the window after a few months. Things like we should not be in ground floor rooms, should not be next to lifts/cleaning store rooms etc...

But hey, we are airline crew and most hotels don't actually want us there, they only want the guaranteed room occupancy...

747-444 Sep 25, 2010 4:10 am

Who cares? But if he wants to complain - one should be worried that somebody in that part of the world was not having fun.

Phil the Flyer Sep 25, 2010 4:40 am

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy (Post 14784470)

these often go out of the window after a few months. Things like we should not be in ground floor rooms

If BA cabin crew are going out of the window :eek: it's probably best that you are on the ground floor. ;)

heartybob Sep 25, 2010 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 14784558)
If BA cabin crew are going out of the window :eek: it's probably best that you are on the ground floor. ;)

With the blinds open :D

Jenbel Sep 25, 2010 5:16 am

Originally Posted by 747-444 (Post 14784488)
Who cares? But if he wants to complain - one should be worried that somebody in that part of the world was not having fun.

He's having fun by complaining... sounds like one of those that like to get upset about others actions. He should be grateful that BA staff are obliging him! :D

Smirnoff Sep 25, 2010 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 14784197)

Having stayed at the Barbados Hilton, I can say this is complete rubbish.

The outdoor bar/seating area is quite small, and I recall the BA entourage sitting there drinking, laughing. SO WHAT?????

They are there on their rest time. Why shouldn't they relax, they are paying guests like everyone else? Some people just like to complain... :rolleyes:

Smirnoff Sep 25, 2010 5:53 am

As I recall, the wrong end of the hotel has rooms facing a fuel dump and a cemetary. I hope they don't stick you down there.

sunrisegirl Sep 25, 2010 6:06 am

OK I know it's not Barbados but I've often stayed at the same hotel as the crew in Kingston and have to say they've always been absolutely fine. They spend their days around the pool sunbathing, talking and laughing like any other holiday maker. The wildest thing I've seen them do is dive into the pool and have a swim.

In the evening you sometimes see a group of them heading to a local nightclub (there's usually a 2 or 3 night stopover) but they've never been a disturbance in the hotel when I've been there, and I've been on the same floor as them. One night they had a get together in one of the rooms and although talking and laughing could be heard in the corridor, the same could be said for people in other rooms.

As Smirnoff says some people just love to moan about anything. :rolleyes:

Oh, and they are paying guests. I further venture to suggest that by guaranteeing the hotel x number of rooms every night of the year, they bring in a lot more income than the person complaining.

TymnBalewne Sep 25, 2010 11:14 am

BA crew are, believe it or not, people! Some are nice and respectful while others are not. It's human nature.

There was the story many years ago of the BA crew at Bermuda's Hamilton Princess hotel (no longer the crew hotel but not because of this...) when a male member of crew had a bit too much to drink and was climbing the balconies of the hotel naked. IIRC he also did a streak through the lobby.

Miles Hunter Sep 25, 2010 11:16 am

Just did a qiuck return to Nassau and happened to have the same crew on their return as on the way out. They had had a nice layover and told stories about it. Sounds like they enjoyed it. Treated us like old friends. I can't imagine any misbehaving or they wouldn't have been so rested and relaxed. Most off duty BA staff I have met are both fun and well behaved. When I got stuck due to the volcano we where put in a Hotel that gets a lot of crew accomadation. The crew members all jumped in to help and the Hotel staff all said that BA crews are great guests. So let the man complain.

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy (Post 14784470)
Yes. But not at the same rates as regular guests. Hence why most Hotel chains do not offer any recognition of hotel frequent stay programs when we stay as crew. Most don't offer points from the scheme for the room rate, although will for incidentals.

However, we are quite often "second class" guests... Some hotels put us in the oldest most tired rooms. Although there are certain requirements that hotels which have a contract to provide crew accommodation agree to when they take the contract, these often go out of the window after a few months. Things like we should not be in ground floor rooms, should not be next to lifts/cleaning store rooms etc...

But hey, we are airline crew and most hotels don't actually want us there, they only want the guaranteed room occupancy...