52,000 Avios for Amex Plat sign-up!

Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:45 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
I am also able to refer anyone...PM me if interested
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
I am having the problem now. IE crashes every time I try - and it even takes down other IE windows (not tabs, whole different windows) which is very rare.
Yup - me too. Amex tried while I waited on the phone and crashed themselves so I got my own back!!! Now they say they will email me when the bug's fixed.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:47 am

also happy to refer if you get this far and haven't found anyone else you like the look of !
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by philco
Yup - me too. Amex tried while I waited on the phone and crashed themselves so I got my own back!!! Now they say they will email me when the bug's fixed.
Worked fine for me (Mac/Firefox) when i did a dummy referral.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:10 am
me2

Programs: BA SPG Gold
Hi

I am thinking about doing this - weighing up the costs vs insurance benefits

any thoughts ?

thanks

Last edited by me2; Sep 30, 2010 at 4:19 am
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Platinum, BA Amex PP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alexwuk
A thought for Gold Card holders wishing to cancel: don't forget that you'll lose your MR balance when the card is terminated, so make sure you transfer your MR points to your airline of choice before you ring Amex to cancel.
Thanks Alex,

MR transfer process has started. Once complete, I will cancel and then apply for the Platinum.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA bronze
I would also be very happy to refer anyone wishing to take advantage of the 42 000 bonus points promo.
Feel free to PM me to arrange / discuss.
Al
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:24 am

Programs: VS Silver, QF Club, SPG Gold, Amex Plat, HHouners Gold.
Originally Posted by David-A
Likewise, happy to refer anyone!
Also very happy to refer............
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The referral system was working ok with Firefox last night, haven't tried it again on IE yet.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA silver
Hi,

I am still not sure whether I should take advantage of this promotion or not...

Cons:
- my BAEC account is not UK-based so I can't convert the reward points into BA miles;
- I already have travel insurance for the next 10 months so I don't need it.

Pros:
- I might use the points for hotels;
- I don't have any other amex at the moment (only HSBC premier).

I'm curious to hear from those of you who already have this card, are you happy with it? Is it really so special compared to other credit cards? What would you do in my situation?

Thanks

P.S. great forum! I hope I'll be able to contribute in the future
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by me2
Hi

I am thinking about doing this - weighing up the costs vs insurance benefits

any thoughts ?

thanks
Originally Posted by FF4Fun
Hi,
I'm curious to hear from those of you who already have this card, are you happy with it? Is it really so special compared to other credit cards? What would you do in my situation?
Welcome aboard FF4Fun

For me..
- Comprehensive Annual Travel Insurance for myself and wife
- Rental car excess insurance worldwide (inc US)
- Lounge access to BD,CO, US & DL lounges + priority pass

I used to buy the first two products and my monthly trips to DUB didn't quite stack up to BD*S renewal but I still wanted lounge access. So it was an easy decision. As you are issued with two platinum cards, two people can benefit from the package (not sure if that applies to the rental car excess).

I've made one claim on the travel insurance to cover alternative travel plans during the volcano ash period which most insurers would not have covered and AMEX paid out (Ł400), so all in all a happy customer (even though I got no bonus for signing up when I did ).

I already had BA AMEX card fee waived - not sure if they are still doing that - but if they are then there is another bonus.

Other perks include instant Gold level status (or similar in various hotel programs), no good for me - but might be for you.

Now you're convinced I'm ready to refer
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Hi FF4Fun, welcome to Flyer Talk!

Originally Posted by FF4Fun
- my BAEC account is not UK-based so I can't convert the reward points into BA miles;
Firstly, you could always build up the Amex MR points and then move your BA EC account to the UK at a more convenient time in your membership year. (I.e. six months in the middle, clear of your year ends).

However, has it actually been confirmed that not having your BAEC account in the UK is even necessarily a problem?

N.b this is not the same setup as the BA Amex cards, where it is BA miles you earn directly with the card and where they are transfer to BA month by month.

- I already have travel insurance for the next 10 months so I don't need it.
Are the Amex Plat insurance benefits any better than what you have, even though you have insurance already. Many people value aspects of the hire car cover etc, I believe. Although personally, the insurance benefits arn't the attraction for me.

- I might use the points for hotels;
I think that would probably be a very poor use of them, compared to airline options. For specific advice, was there a particular hotel scheme you were interested in?

- I don't have any other amex at the moment (only HSBC premier).

Do you have a card that pays you something (loyalty points, cashback, airline miels, etc) on your spend? If not you REALLY should have one, assuming you pay your bills off in full it really is money for nothing and you will be surprised how much value you can get out of it over the year.

The next question then is which one you should have, as they can vary enormously in terms of how good they are. And whether you are going to be able to use the spcific scheme to your advantage or not.

Does your HSBC Premier come with Full Priorty Pass membership? Keep in mind the Amex Plat comes with that as a benefit, and like the other amex plat the fee cover the beneifts for both the card holders, so your second card holder can get their own Priorty Pass.

Have you thought of BMI diamond club as a home for the miles? If you are looking for any redemption bookings in the near future it could still make enormouse sense because the scheme is so generous.

Indeed, if someone said they didn't have any loyalty paying cards, there are only two card opportunities I tell them not to miss: 1. this time Amex Plat offer. And 2: The bmi paid card (with its own 24k BMI DC miles sign up bonus).

Whilst I wouldn't encourage people to go around just opening accounts for bonuses, I would say don't miss this bonus (and do it first) then go do the bmi card bonus before it goes.

[Would be happy to refer you for the Amex Plat if interested, but please don't feel obliged. Do your own calculations to see if it represents value for you. But make sure you have a card that pays you something... - in a scheme you will be able to use to YOUR advantage.]
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by rupert_s
- Lounge access to BD,CO, US & DL lounges + priority pass
And on Eurostar...
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA (Silver), SPG, Hilton, GoldPoints Plus
Also happy to refer (although I'm pretty sure by now there are more than enough!)
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:34 pm

i am thinking of getting the platinum card but have a couple of questions:

- does the travel insurance apply only if booked using the platinum card or is it a stand alone policy?
- you can have up to 5 additional cardholders who all benefit from the travel insurance - does anyone know ehere the t&cs are for this. I'm trying to work out whether these additional people need to (a) reside at same address and (b) whether there are any age restrictions (e.g. will they insure somneone who is 80 years old)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.