Community
Wiki Posts
Search

52,000 Avios for Amex Plat sign-up!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by magyaar
Quidco can take months, but as long as you literally don't cancel immediately then I would expect it to get paid all the same.

One thing to bear in mind if you don't already use Quidco is that they charge £5 a year to use them so you need to deduct this from the cashback.
Personally, I would use Topcashback.co.uk which doens't charge a fee.

I was going to say it took months as well, then I saw the stats on the TCB page, average is 5 days to track, then 4 days to pay out. Seems a tad fast to me. Quidco say less than 5 months.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Amex are a pretty reliable and reasonably quick merchant for tracking.
But do note the warning: Nothing is guaranteed with cashback.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:50 am

Thanks. Anyone have any experience of changing the country of residence? I am most of the year out of the UK and would like to be covered when going to other countries.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by shayele
Thanks. Anyone have any experience of changing the country of residence? I am most of the year out of the UK and would like to be covered when going to other countries.
If you have an insurance question, ask Amex by secure message. You may get the right answer here, but it's always best to have it in writing from Amex that you'll be covered.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by shayele
You only have cover for trips of 90 days, and a maximum of 240 days per year.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:06 pm

The question is this: Im considering moving to Israel and I want to keep the card as I will still be working in the UK I dont really need the Insurance in Israel what I would like is the cover for flight leaving Israel or Holdays in the Uk Etc.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Priority Plus - really valid for THREE years?

Just received my Priority Pass membership card, "as a valued American Express Platinum Member". Mrs LF got exactly the same package, with no mention that she was a supplementary Amex cardholder, rather than principal.

Covering letters say each of us is entitled to free lounge visits for "you and one guest". IIRC, inclusion of a guest is the recently 'enhanced' (genuine, not BA-style) benefit recently introduced.

Best of all, expiry date on the membership cards (and confirmed when logging on to the Priority Pass website) is THREE YEARS away.

Funny thing is, I sent in the application for the free Priority Pass cards weeks, or more likely months ago (certainly so long ago that I can't remember!) - and now (within the last couple of weeks) I've just cancelled the Amex Platinum Card once the new increased (£450) annual fee appeared.

Does anyone know if the Priority Pass membership will be terminated, now the underlying Amex Platinum has been cancelled? I'm guessing that is most likely to occur if I took any "additional" guests into a lounge, causing the £15 "guest fee" to be charged automatically to my (now cancelled) Amex card.

But what about "free visits" by myself or Mrs LF? How do these work - do Priority Pass somehow bill Amex (who then absorb the cost, rather than charging me), or will I stay "under the radar" for the next 3 years?

[Not COMPLETELY off-topic - if there's a chance of getting THREE years lounge access for ONE Amex Platinum anuual fee (which can be further reduced by cancelling the Amex card and getting a pro-rata refund) some people might feel that tips the balance in favour of applying.]
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:30 pm
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by larryflyer
Does anyone know if the Priority Pass membership will be terminated, now the underlying Amex Platinum has been cancelled? I'm guessing that is most likely to occur if I took any "additional" guests into a lounge, causing the £15 "guest fee" to be charged automatically to my (now cancelled) Amex card.

But what about "free visits" by myself or Mrs LF? How do these work - do Priority Pass somehow bill Amex (who then absorb the cost, rather than charging me), or will I stay "under the radar" for the next 3 years?
I imagine that it will either be terminated, or Amex will send you a bill for the use of the card - the lounge operator charge priority pass, who then charge american express. I suspect that they have a system in place to make sure they get paid.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by DVT
I imagine that it will either be terminated, or Amex will send you a bill for the use of the card - the lounge operator charge priority pass, who then charge american express. I suspect that they have a system in place to make sure they get paid.
I doubt if Amex are that much on the ball, they will probably just swallow the cost.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
I doubt if Amex are that much on the ball, they will probably just swallow the cost.

Nope

The Priority pass is cancelled as soon as you cancel the AMEX.

if you go into the lounge you will be charged
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by blindman
Nope

The Priority pass is cancelled as soon as you cancel the AMEX.

if you go into the lounge you will be charged
Fair enough! How about the CX gold card, does that still work after you cancel?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, CX MP Gold, CO OnePass, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Fair enough! How about the CX gold card, does that still work after you cancel?
This is an excellent question.

I became an AMEX Platinum member last September, but didn't activate my CX Gold membership until January this year. Like many, I'm more than likely going to be cancelling my Platinum at the end of this month due to the sharp increase in the membership fee, so will my CX Gold be cancelled as well? If so, I think this is unfair in my opinion, as I will have paid a whole year for the AMEX Platinum which entitles me to 1 years worth of CX Gold membership, but I will have had only had 8 months use out of the CX Gold membership.

Any help appreciated.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Personally I think it is highly unlikely that most of the benefits (CX Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, etc.) will be pro-actively cancelled by Amex once set up so I think you'll get a full year out of them. Priority Pass is quite different given the ongoing billing relationship that they need to have in place, hence why it will cancel when your Plat card cancels, regardless of the expiry date on it.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Personally I think it is highly unlikely that most of the benefits (CX Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, etc.) will be pro-actively cancelled by Amex once set up so I think you'll get a full year out of them. Priority Pass is quite different given the ongoing billing relationship that they need to have in place, hence why it will cancel when your Plat card cancels, regardless of the expiry date on it.
Hhonors and SPG do not get cancelled (well did not 12 moths ago...). I imagine CX will be the same!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, CX MP Gold, CO OnePass, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks guys, that sounds encouraging.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.