Community
Wiki Posts
Search

52,000 Avios for Amex Plat sign-up!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The spend is £2k now, but yes you can do what you say.

On a different note, I can't see the option to refer anybody anymore - has it gone for anyone else?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
On a different note, I can't see the option to refer anybody anymore - has it gone for anyone else?
It's still there for me.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mallangong
Due to a last minute job change I have been out of the country since my new Platinum card came through. I have just got back and am not sure I will meet the £1,500 spend required to trigger the MR bonus.

Is the best way to artificially spend more to load up a Paypal card?
You could also buy Tesco vouchers, Waitrose vouchers, that sort of thing, if it's somewhere you're likely to use them at.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by chistery
It's still there for me.
Ah, back again. Wasn't there earlier today
Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:41 pm

It's £1,500 because I am on the old 42,000 MR deal. Do Paypal do the card any more? I can't find it.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
No, not the one you can load up with your Amex.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Book refundable flight, let bonus hit, cancel flight. Your card account may be in credit but you can spend the money at your leisure,
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:03 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by hingeless
I called Amex today to close my play card and they offered me one of the the following options to keep it open:

£50 credit on my account
£100 Tesco Voucher
20k MR if I spend £5k in 3 month

Based on Raffles estimate of 0.75p per MR that works out at £150 value of 20K MR

Obviously the spend is only getting 1 MR per £ so i am losing 2.5k avios over putting the spend through the BA PP. But then again transfer bonus may come along soon. So I could spend the £5k and the close the account.

They woudn't reduce the £450 to £300. What should I do?
How much were you putting on the card?

I don't put any spend on the card really and was going to cancel, I have my renewal coming up soon and may keep the card, as I hire from Hertz semi regularly and the Amex discount has on occasion made a far bit of difference, so even at £450 it may be worth my while to keep it.

If I can call to cancel and get one of these offers It'll surely me worth it! Do you need to be a big spender to get offered one though?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:55 am

Thanks Raffles. Will Amex not reclaim the MR on purchases that are refunded though?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:56 am

They reclaim on the purchase, but not on the bonus
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
How much were you putting on the card?

I don't put any spend on the card really and was going to cancel, I have my renewal coming up soon and may keep the card, as I hire from Hertz semi regularly and the Amex discount has on occasion made a far bit of difference, so even at £450 it may be worth my while to keep it.

If I can call to cancel and get one of these offers It'll surely me worth it! Do you need to be a big spender to get offered one though?
How much discount does the Plat card provide? Is it more than the discount on the BA Silver CDP? Or various Hotel CDPs that you may be elligible for?
Or are you refering to the saving of not requiring CDW?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:14 am

I will probably just buy some Sainsbury’s vouchers then if the Paypal card is no longer available. I am trying to work out if once I have got the haribo if I should keep the Platinum or get the BA card.

So two questions, can my wife get the BA card and get the sign up bonus even though I added her as a supplementary Platinum card holder? I fear that may have been a mistake.

Also, I read that Amex sometimes give bonuses for converting MR to Avios. How often does this happen, is it worth holding out?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
So two questions, can my wife get the BA card and get the sign up bonus even though I added her as a supplementary Platinum card holder? I fear that may have been a mistake.

Also, I read that Amex sometimes give bonuses for converting MR to Avios. How often does this happen, is it worth holding out?
Yes, my understanding is that it is only being a primary cardholder that counts. I believe MR bonuses are relatively common in the USA but pretty rare over here.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR

1. Yes, did it myself. You can even get her her own Plat card even though she is already your supp Plat.

2. Between 2004 and 2010, never. Then a big rush - 40%, a whopping 100%, 40% (I think). Sadly for BA there is no going back on this, because Amex MR customers with BA balances will now be hoarding their points and waiting for another transfer.

Other airlines have been far stingier in their bonuses, and hotel transfer bonuses are almost non-existent beyond the odd token 'do any transfer in March and get 500 bonus MR points'-type deal.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
2. Between 2004 and 2010, never. Then a big rush - 40%, a whopping 100%, 40% (I think). Sadly for BA there is no going back on this, because Amex MR customers with BA balances will now be hoarding their points and waiting for another transfer.
I'm certainly hoarding about 130,000 MR points and awaiting a transfer bonus!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.