Community
Wiki Posts
Search

52,000 Avios for Amex Plat sign-up!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
A quick question please.... transfers from Amex MR to BA Avios. I know the minimum is 1,000 MR but is there any restriction apart from that, ie do they have to be in 1,000 MR increments, 500 MR increments etc?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:17 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
And the answer is minimum 1,000 in increments of 500....
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by magyaar
Makes sense, I forgot that PP is an intermediary. I suppose £15 isn't too bad if you are going to be in a lounge for a couple of hours. Bit of a sting if you thought it was going to be free and you just popped in for a coffee!
That happened to me in LAS recently, went up to the Delta lounge to see if I could get me and a friend in, showed my PP card and Amex Plat, she said the PP would allow me to get in a desk, no mention of cost, but a £15 charge, for a glass of OJ, Coffee and a Bagel!

I guess with both of us in there £15 wasn't too bad, considering it was comfy enough, £7 in starbucks would have probably got me nicer fayre though!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by redshift27
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

If done correctly you will see the expected BA earning showing in MMB but will also get OW Sapphire or Emerald on your BP. The bookings will NOT show in the BA iPhone app but will show up when you are logged into BAEC on the standard website. Checkmytrip will show both BA and CX numbers.
Many thanks for this. I had to speak to BAEC about something else so I asked the agent to look into doing this for me.

She said "i can try" and she did and it worked. Booking is still in MMB, and checkmytrip shows both membership numbers - although the CX number is before BA - not sure if that is anything to worry about~?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by happeemonkee
Mmmm...

Amex must be trying to soften me up before my Platinum Card renewal next month (which I will cancel if my CX card isn't renewed in September when it expires).

They've just sent me 2 Heathrow fast track vouchers and 2 £10 World Duty Free vouchers. Anyone else received anything?
Me too. Not only that but I got another set from my BA Amex PP today . The 4x fast tracks are no use to me, but the £40 of duty-free vouchers certainly are.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: Le Creuset 26cm square grillit club, laithwaites red club
Originally Posted by SteveF
Me too. Not only that but I got another set from my BA Amex PP today . The 4x fast tracks are no use to me, but the £40 of duty-free vouchers certainly are.
I only got round to spending last years vouchers this month. I got a bottle of vodka for making cocktails for £3.99. I gave one to mother for her tipple.

I shall be spending these ones quicker.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by SteveF
... I got another set from my BA Amex PP today .
indeed.

I've not been using my Plat for a few months - in addition to the 'enhancement' problem there was an issue with missing MRs which took an age and a half to resolve - but got the plat tokens, however the BAPP has been working overtime recently. I hope this doesn't disqualify me from an unexpected bonus.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Roger
indeed.

I've not been using my Plat for a few months - in addition to the 'enhancement' problem there was an issue with missing MRs which took an age and a half to resolve - but got the plat tokens, however the BAPP has been working overtime recently. I hope this doesn't disqualify me from an unexpected bonus.
That's a good point; I haven't been using my Plat or BAPP for three months (I wonder why? ) so maybe that's why I got both.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
That happened to me in LAS recently, went up to the Delta lounge to see if I could get me and a friend in, showed my PP card and Amex Plat, she said the PP would allow me to get in a desk, no mention of cost, but a £15 charge, for a glass of OJ, Coffee and a Bagel!

I guess with both of us in there £15 wasn't too bad, considering it was comfy enough, £7 in starbucks would have probably got me nicer fayre though!
Have you contacted the Amex UK Twitter team about this? My impression is they're doing their best to look sympathetically on those who have had lounge entries since the literature went out but before the new benefit comes into effect...
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
The glass-half-full in me - not often experienced with AmEx these days - makes me think they may be taking the matter seriously.

I wrote to a named AmEx person at the beginning of May about this. They treated my letter as a complaint, so the complaints team got back to me promising they would investigate and get back to me within a month. A month later, I got another holding letter saying they were still investigating and would get back yakety yak.

Who knows? Perhaps they really are investigating.
After receiving a 2nd delay letter, I've just had the final resolution letter through... Complaint not upheld. Card is good value as it provides products valued at nearly £1500. Marco Polo is for a year but at the discretion of Cathay Pacific if they extend. The increase is more than justified by the extra benefits. Now go away.

No call back to discuss like I requested, no mention of marketing spin or apology for poorly worded literature.

So it's what I expected but still annoying.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by chistery
After receiving a 2nd delay letter, I've just had the final resolution letter through... Complaint not upheld.
Yes, me too.

The notional £1,500 value for equivalent insurance and concierge benefits is clearly nonsense (unless you make superhuman use of the concierge service). Benefits reduce but at higher cost.

The letter mentions 'entry to over 1,000 airport lounges'. Prioritypass.com lists 'over 600'. I wonder where the extra 400 are? It won't be the bmi lounges. Is this an unannounced benefit of using AA, DL etc lounges when flying those airlines, something which I've never seen as an official benefit of AmEx UK cards?

The misleading promotional bumf describing CX gold and HH gold, the reason for my writing, is overlooked.

The 'Executive Customer Relations Consultant' offers FOS referral. Don't the ASA and the OFT deserve a look in?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver
Originally Posted by chistery
After receiving a 2nd delay letter, I've just had the final resolution letter through... Complaint not upheld. Card is good value as it provides products valued at nearly £1500. Marco Polo is for a year but at the discretion of Cathay Pacific if they extend. The increase is more than justified by the extra benefits. Now go away.
Extra benefits being...? Sorry still don't see it.

The benefits that are actually worth something to me are:

- travel insurance, which is probably worth £100 max (it is in fairness quite good)
- ongoing SPG, Carlson, Accor Gold/Plat membership. I travel quite a lot but corporate travel policy prevents me being particularly loyal to any hotel, so this is quite good. Hard to value, but let's call that £100 too.
- access to Priority Pass lounge. I rarely use these, but my wife does, and let's be generous and call it six times a year x £15 = £90.

So I kind of got that this was worth £300 to me. Quite how this can stretch to £450 I have no idea.

I simply don't get who Amex are now marketing this to. I should be a perfect customer, I have a pretty good salary and spend too much of it. I travel a lot on business and when I travel for leisure I am at the higher end. More likely a Sheraton than a Savoy, but then again this is Platinum we're talking not Centurion.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:40 am

The 'Executive Customer Relations Consultant' offers FOS referral. Don't the ASA and the OFT deserve a look in?
Sadly, no. The ASA's web site says:

Financial advertising

We have powers to investigate financial advertising on TV and radio, but complaints about product-related claims in non-broadcast ads for mortgages, general insurance, investments, pensions, cash savings and bank accounts are dealt with by the Financial Services Authority.

OFT is more about anti-competitive behaviour, unfair terms in contracts, that sort of thing.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:45 am

In reality I think there is only one thing anyone can push Amex for here, and that is an extension to the CX or Hilton on grounds that 'had you known it was just for one year, you would have waited to apply'.

All that the FOS would do is look to put someone in the position that they would have been had the error not been made, and this would appear to do that.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AMEX Plat and all that comes with it.
They did send me some fast track vouchers today..lucky I opened it as I normally through AMEX post in the bin!

One extra benefit I guess

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.