Community
Wiki Posts
Search

52,000 Avios for Amex Plat sign-up!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 4:49 am

Programs: BA & A3 - Silver and fading
Originally Posted by Raffles
Not clear. 2 people have now reported being told their £30 is going to £150. No-one has yet been told their £0 is going to £150.
Hi Raffles,

The letter includes the following text:-

In view of the excellent value we believe the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card offers, we normally charge a fee for this card of £150 per year. Until now, we have offered the Card at a reduced price to Cardmembers who also held any other American Express Card, including any Credit Card or an American Express Green Card. This discounted rate will no longer be offered to holders of these Cards from September 2011 and this means from that date, the full annual fee of £150 will be payable for your Card.

Therefore it does not mention the Platinum Charge Card specifically so it looks like you may be exempt from these changes.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 4:58 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Baracus
Hi Raffles,

In view of the excellent value we believe the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card offers, we normally charge a fee for this card of £150 per year. Until now, we have offered the Card at a reduced price to Cardmembers who also held any other American Express Card, including any Credit Card or an American Express Green Card. This discounted rate will no longer be offered to holders of these Cards from September 2011 and this means from that date, the full annual fee of £150 will be payable for your Card.

Therefore it does not mention the Platinum Charge Card specifically so it looks like you may be exempt from these changes.
To me ... I read as a letter they are about to send me as a Plat Card holder.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 5:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by uk1
Pardon the pun but reading between the lines I agree uk1 it does indeed sound like that in the letter.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 5:14 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Hi Raffles,

Thanks for this... Just confirmed with my dad that his letter says the same. I would guess this applied to all cardholders? Have they changed T&Cs though?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 5:24 am

Programs: BA & A3 - Silver and fading
Originally Posted by uk1
Just on the phone to AMEX now and they tell me the only cards listed now with a reduction of the £150.00 will be the legacy holders of Gold, Platinum and Centurion Charge Cards.

As I don't hold one of these (my other card is a Plat Credit Card) I am bound by this change.

All my existing vouchers remain valid at the existing T&C's if I choose to downgrade to the fee free BA card instead.

Hope this helps others.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 5:24 am

Deleted in the light of Baracus's post above
Old Jun 24, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dewsburyborn
I have an Amex Platinum charge card - upon which I spent the required £1.500 and have received the 42,000 MR.

The MR are sitting in my MR account awaiting the next bonus before I transfer them to either BA or BD.

As I will no longer use the Amex Plat Charge, I am looking to close the account.

I do have an Amex BA P P credit card which is constantly active.

My question is - if I close the Plat Charge account will they claim back the MR points in my account ? ( I know I have earned them by satisfying the spend criteria - I am just concerned that them remaining there they look too easy to snaffle back )

Thanks
To add to the other responses, IIRC they don't stay alive. if you cancel the card and don't have another MR eligible card then you have lost the points. The Card and MR account is closed so you will not have access to the points and couldn't do anything with them. But if you subsequently open another MR eligible card within 6 months then they will give you the points back. So in the intervening time - they are not your points.

T's and C's state (my emphasis)

If a Cardmember has more than one American Express Card account enrolled in the Programme, voluntarily cancels any such Card account, and keeps at least one American Express Basic Card account (not including an Optima Card Account) enrolled in the Programme, any Points accrued in the Programme account as a result of charges billed to the cancelled Card account will remain valid in the Programme Account provided all other conditions set out herein have been met.

If a Cardmember voluntarily cancels Programme enrolment or cancels all Linked Accounts enrolled in a Programme, but keeps at least one American Express Card, the Cardmember will have up to six-months to re-enrol in a Programme in order to reactivate any Points previously accrued in the Programme account prior to such cancellation.

If a Cardmember cancels a Linked Account and cancels all American Express Cards all Points accrued in the Cardmember's Programme account and not redeemed at the date of cancellation will be forfeited, unless otherwise agreed at the time of such cancellation.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Just on the phone to AMEX now and they tell me the only cards listed now with a reduction of the £150.00 will be the legacy holders of Gold, Platinum and Centurion Charge Cards.

As I don't hold one of these (my other card is a Plat Credit Card) I am bound by this change.

All my existing vouchers remain valid at the existing T&C's if I choose to downgrade to the fee free BA card instead.

Hope this helps others.
But the way I read your quote from the letter states until now - no mention of legacy holding requirements ?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by E14 26C
But the way I read your quote from the letter states until now - no mention of legacy holding requirements ?
That was sort of my hope, that my PP amex wouldn't count, but my new platinum would and the legacy bit could come from the PP amex.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: British Airways
Offer still running?!

Hi, I was just wondering if the 42k miles for refs was still on offer? And if so could some one refer me?!

Thanks

Jon
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by jonnyh
Hi, I was just wondering if the 42k miles for refs was still on offer? And if so could some one refer me?!

Thanks

Jon
It most certainly is, and the list of referrers is on the first page
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jonnyh

Thanks

Jon
You should check Quidco and TopCashBack first, in case they have any cashback offers (was £60 previously), but if not, Raffles has very kindly collated a list of those who can refer in the first post in this thread.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Paralytic
You should check Quidco and TopCashBack first, in case they have any cashback offers (was £60 previously)
NO!

Whilst Quidco is still offering £60, this comes with ZERO MR points as a sign-up bonus!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by janed9388
the legacy bit could come from the PP amex.
Hi - can someone define legacy - as in how far back do you need to have held a Plat Charge card to be considered 'legacy' card, in order to get the reduction on a PP card?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 4:02 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), Hilton HHonors (Gold)
Duplicate post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.