Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Worst ever Club Experience - AMS-LGW. Must crew store luggage overhead in Rows 1-5?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst ever Club Experience - AMS-LGW. Must crew store luggage overhead in Rows 1-5?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2010, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum, CX Diamond
Thumbs down Worst ever Club Experience - AMS-LGW. Must crew store luggage overhead in Rows 1-5?

Flew on the BA8118 tonight in Club and it is up there with one of the worst ever experiences I have ever had on BA, or in business class on any carrier.

To start (on a positive note), I should commend the two crew members, W and H, who did a fantastic job in making up for the Purser's (and other crew member's) inability to deal with customer requests and complaints.

It all started going downhill when we were held up for 20 mins at the boarding pass scanning desk, for 2 BA staff who were looking to travel on board on standby. The gate agent managed to keep almost 100 people waiting while sorting out jump seats for 2 BA staff members. While I understand that BA will look after their own, at what cost and inconvenience to a huge number of revenue passengers?!

On boarding, there were 5 rows of club seats and at least 2-3 rows of overhead bin space were taken up by crew luggage. Now, I understand that crew luggage must travel onboard, but why does it need to be in club?!

"where else would you like us to put it?" was the unapologetic response from a member of the crew.

Not less that 6 passengers complained, as most had to put their cabin baggage in the economy cabin and the purser was ill-equipped to deal with the situation. The junior crew member's response was also rude to at least 3 other pax.

I appreciate that on these short flights there is always a fight for storage in the overhead bins, but when paying a premium to fly in Club, why should a pax have to compete with Crew to store their belongings and receive rude and unapologetic service?

Anyway, rant over. Be interested to hear of other experiences and to know whether I am overreacting. (Incidentally, I didn't have an issue with the overhead space as I was carrying only a small bag, but felt the crew's reaction to other passengers was unjustified).
Old Sep 12, 2010, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unacceptable. Do write in including names. A poor show from the Purser and crew member.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 2:03 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Completely, totally and wholly unacceptable. (The crew member's attitude)
Old Sep 12, 2010, 2:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Same experience when flying club from AMS to LCY..
Crew bags in overhead bins should not inconvenience passengers, and I dare to say especially not premium passengers?

I believe Crew always has the option to check in bags with priority handling so as they leave the plane last their bags should be on the belt at arrivals anyway?

Now, I don't want to criticize BA crew as most of them do a great job, but this is a little bit of an issue.

Globalist
Old Sep 12, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globalist
I believe Crew always has the option to check in bags with priority handling so as they leave the plane last their bags should be on the belt at arrivals anyway?
I don't think shorthaul crew have that option (unless they are flying the 767).
I could be wrong...
Old Sep 12, 2010, 3:02 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Globalist
Crew bags in overhead bins should not inconvenience passengers, and I dare to say especially not premium passengers?
Not on shorthaul as crew don't follow the same route out of the airport as customers so can't always get to baggage reclaim (so there is a blanket rule)
Old Sep 12, 2010, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They sound a very lippy bunch....

They should have a cupboard for their bags.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Not defending, just informing.

I always put my bags further back... but...

At LHR short haul, we are not allowed to check in bags. We are only permitted to take cabin baggage. No matter what aircraft we are flying on. At around 50% of out stations, we do not follow the passenger arrival process and do not go through the baggage hall, i.e. DUS, TXL and CDG, we are bussed straight from the aircraft out of the airport.

At LGW, I am not sure if they are permitted checked bags on short haul or not.

At LCY, again, not sure.

On the flip side of this, there are lockers* that are noted as "Crew Only" which we do often take out bags out of to provide space for passenger baggage. So it is not all take take take...

* 1 on an A320 and 2 on an A321...
Old Sep 12, 2010, 3:36 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
What would happen if a CE passenger removed the crew baggage to make room for his and then asked "Where would you like me to put it?"
Old Sep 12, 2010, 3:48 pm

This was the situation on a LGW to JER flight last Monday row 1 and 2 no room for bags as all filled with crew bags, next time I will remove the crew bag put mine in and leave theirs on the floor. (probably not but i would like to) It seems to happen every flight in CE. Please Crew do not place your bags above row 1 as there is no under the seat in front option either!
Why can't Crew leave there bags out and put them away after passengers have sat down.
(I'm ready for the onslaught)
Joejet
Old Sep 12, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Why dont they put them over the very back row of seats, the crew are always going to be last off?

... of course if they blocked the bins in club until the premium pax arrived - thus stopping the folks from down the back filling them first, then moved the crew bags to let the premium pax in - it would be commendations all round from many members of this board!!

[By the way - on my DUS-LHR earlier this week, the bins over Club were closed on boarding, and the Y ones were open. I presumed to discourage the early dumpers.]
Old Sep 12, 2010, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by antichef

[By the way - on my DUS-LHR earlier this week, the bins over Club were closed on boarding, and the Y ones were open. I presumed to discourage the early dumpers.]
Were they full of crew bags when you opened them?

That seems a sensible idea to discourage those who shouldn't from putting their bags in there.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 4:51 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Were they full of crew bags when you opened them?

That seems a sensible idea to discourage those who shouldn't from putting their bags in there.
there was one in my row 2 locker!
Old Sep 12, 2010, 5:03 pm

At LGW we crew can check in bags for all rostered duties.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by pax agent
At LGW we crew can check in bags for all rostered duties.
Must be nice... I would kill to take some full size toiletries away with me...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.