Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

September 11, 2001: tell us your travel stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Im sure there must have been a thread about this in the past, did a search but couldn't find anything.

September 11 2001. How was your travel affected.

I was at home and just watched it unfold on the TV.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:32 pm

Programs: BA gold
I was on a geology field trip studying Orcadian sediments in the deepest and darkest corners of northern Scotland. I didn't hear about the event until about three days later
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:57 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I had left New York the day before, having stayed at the Marriott WTC. It all unfolded on a day I had come straight from the plane to the office as I was tired.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:07 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
You might want to read these threads from the FT archives:

Tragedy Roll Call - Please Sign In

Stranded FT assistance thread
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:52 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
You might want to read these threads from the FT archives:

Tragedy Roll Call - Please Sign In

Stranded FT assistance thread

Both these threads are very old, dating in fact from 11 September 2001 itself.

As many of our current members did not frequent Flyertalk nine years ago (me included) it would be interesting hearing about the experiences of our more current members.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:54 am

A world-changing day. May those who died on the day and the thousands who have died since as a result of that day rest in peace.

Do we remember how strange it seemed to see planes again in the air once they were allowed to resume? It was almost as if they no longer belonged up there. Looking back, it's incredible BA survived.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by MOR
Both these threads are very old, dating in fact from 11 September 2001 itself.

As many of our current members did not frequent Flyertalk nine years ago (me included) it would be interesting hearing about the experiences of our more current members.

I agree it would be interesting - but actually both those threads are worth a look too. Thanks tom911 for posting.

I was at home - but I remember quite a sad and sombre LAS on a business trip just a few weeks later
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:21 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I was on a BA flight LHR-LAX in F that got turned around near Canada. They turned off the map and the phones and said due to an International security incident we could not enter the US. We ended up at CWL.

BA went to book everyone in to hotels but myself and 3 others got a taxi back to Reading and listened to it all on the Radio. Only got to see it when getting back to the pub at about 10pm.

I was called by BA and put on the first LAX flight about 4 days later and it was very very quiet.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:25 am

Programs: BA Blue
I was only 17 at the time, but I remember watching BBC and they had a small message come up at the bottom of the screen saying a plane had collided with one of WTC. Shortly afterward, they interrupted the programme to go straight to BBC News.

I didn't know how a plane could accidentally crash into a tower, but after they talked about it for a while, I was thinking surely it wasn't an accident. Aircrafts just don't fly themselves into skyscrapers.

3 weeks before, my parents had come back from staying at the Marriot at WTC.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I flew that night, to LHR in fact. And I'm about to get on a plane today in a few hours. Terrorism will never stop me.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I was scheduled for a trip to BOS the next day. No need to explain that trip got postponed by a couple of weeks. The day itself work ground to a halt at my office as we all gathered around TVs and computer screens.

Ever since then I have for some odd reason been flying on 9/11. Same again today. Terrorism will never stop me either.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 2:23 am

I was on a JMC flight from santorini to lgw, it was a very strange quiet arriving at the baggage reclaim, and I was wondering why there were so many flights from lgw to lgw. I phoned my mum to tell her we were at the airport and she told me what had happened. It was a very strange atmosphere on the gatwick express, numerous people talking to us in Hebrew (my now husband was very tanned from the holiday) and saying how they had been turned away. A very strange experience. My thoughts are with families of those who lost their lives on that day.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 2:31 am

Programs: DL DM
On board a 9:10 AM US Airways flight pushing back from a gate at New York's La Guardia Airport. Needless to say, I didn't fly to my destination that day.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC
I wasn't flying that day. I had the day off work and had just returned home after going for a bike ride in the Peak District. What still sticks in my mind even today was watching the news and seeing people either fall out or jump from the towers and thinking to myself, whatever is going on up there must be awful for people to decide that the only option they had was to jump. On a side note when we talk about the events of 9/11, i think alot of people just remember the events that took place in NYC which is understandable and maybe forget about the people that died when flights AA77 & UA93 crashed.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I was flying from MAN-FRA on LH that evening. I considered not flying, but went ahead in the end.

I remember there was a big screen in T1 at MAN, and it was showing repeat after repeat of the planes hitting the towers. There was a big group of people watching in silence.

The flight was also very quiet. Nobody stood up for the whole flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.