SYD-SIN in F, What to Expect?

Old Sep 4, 10, 9:18 am
Original Poster

SYD-SIN in F, What to Expect?

Sorry to add to the plethora of "what to expect" questions, but I have not flown BA for many years and am wondering what to expect from BA's First Class service on this segment.

From these threads there seems to be a consistent concern about the degradation of cabin service, and based on these comments I have a few questions.

This is an 8 hour flight leaving at 16:25; will there be two meal services and what are those meals apt to be?

Will the 773 interior likely be old and tatty with inoperable IFE?

Will I have made my wine selections from the menu only to find the wines were not loaded and unavailable?

Should I expect the cabin crew to be courteous and helpful or rude and perfunctory?

There are other matters such as scorpions and raw sausages which I assume are such rare events as to not be a worry.

I am really looking forward to flying BA again after all these years (and I know it ain't what it used to be) but if I know what to expect then I won't be disappointed.

Your comments would be most appreciated.
Old Sep 4, 10, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, former Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Diamond, Caesars Diamond, Momentum *SOAR*
Originally Posted by jrussell View Post
Should I expect the cabin crew to be courteous and helpful or rude and perfunctory?
If I tell you they will be "rude and perfunctory" are you going to cancel your BA ressie and re-book on SQ?
Old Sep 4, 10, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Sorry to add to the plethora of "what to expect" questions, but I have not flown BA for many years and am wondering what to expect from BA's First Class service on this segment.

From these threads there seems to be a consistent concern about the degradation of cabin service, and based on these comments I have a few questions.

This is an 8 hour flight leaving at 16:25; will there be two meal services and what are those meals apt to be?

Will the 773 interior likely be old and tatty with inoperable IFE?

Will I have made my wine selections from the menu only to find the wines were not loaded and unavailable?

There are other matters such as scorpions and raw sausages which I assume are such rare events as to not be a worry.

I am really looking forward to flying BA again after all these years (and I know it ain't what it used to be) but if I know what to expect then I won't be disappointed.

Your comments would be most appreciated.
you'll probably find its perfectly fine.

crew can be a mixed bag but i've never had a bad crew (i have experienced the not exactly friendly but perfectly professional crew which is ok but i prefer people you can have a chat and joke with)

the seat may be a bit tired - i'd be very surprised if you will get new first as its never been on the kangaroo route so far (someone may prove me wrong on that one as i havent looked recently)

IFE can be a mixed bag - personally i'll take my macbook loaded with films as most of the IFE Selection i've seen or dont want to see and i find the screens pretty poor quality - even on the newer AVOD systems.

you should be able to dine when you like, i've never had a problem with First not having my wine selection available (but the champagne quality is nowhere near what it used to be).

2 meal service (ish) wil be dinner and breakfast - im sure someone can post the full menu for you.

The last few years i have never been wow'd by the FIRST experience but then i've never been truely disappointed or generally let down by it....i'd say on a scale of 1 to 10, my experiences vary from 3 to 8 (3 being cabin too hot, poor service - had to get up and ask for stuff a few times, seat tatty and AVOD not working at all to 8 being v good attentive crew, frequent drinks, clean cabin and fully working seat and 1a/k)

hope this helps
Old Sep 4, 10, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SYD - SIN is dinner and light meal iirc. Wines in F are generally as advertised (it is Club that suffers from the randomiser effect). 90% of BA crew are competent to excellent but the other 10% do let the side down. There is less chance of encountering the 10% in F as the cabin is toothy like hard work the lazy.

Plane will be a 772 with the normal sized screens for the IFE.

You'll have an experience that will be somewhere between perfectly decent and truly enjoyable so relax and don't stress.
Old Sep 4, 10, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
I did it last year. You can read my trip report here if you have nothing better to do.
Old Sep 4, 10, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I would also suggest an early arrival at the airport at SYD and enjoy lunch at the QF First lounge to make the most of our trip.
Old Sep 4, 10, 2:16 pm
Suspended

IME BA flights on this segment are a bit haphazard when it comes to service standards. If heading outbound, crew should be fairly jolly as it's meant to be a treat for them to get positioned to Australia. That may have a negative effect: that they're so excited that they spend all their time yacking in the galley rather than looking after pax.

Personally, if I had the choice, I'd switch to a QF-op service on this route - the crews are generally jollier and the food superior to BA's. But just my opinion.
Old Sep 4, 10, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nth_utsera_sth_utsera View Post
IME BA flights on this segment are a bit haphazard when it comes to service standards. If heading outbound, crew should be fairly jolly as it's meant to be a treat for them to get positioned to Australia. That may have a negative effect: that they're so excited that they spend all their time yacking in the galley rather than looking after pax.
Yes, given the opportunity again I would fly with QF in F. My experience on the SYD-SIN flight was mixed. I did like the 777 F cabin and the views of Australia below. The food and service however was pretty pathetic to be honest so I suggest the OP eats as much as possible in the lounge...just in case. Our "mature" F cabin crew were still in a holiday mood and according to what they told me were very much looking forward to another break in SIN.
Hard life eh?
Old Sep 4, 10, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the candid responses. Unfortunately I am on an award ticket and QF F is not available. I have had advice that even QF J would be preferable to BA F but alas QF J is unavailable as well.

If I base my expectations (mirroring Hiddy's experience) on inedible food and indifferent service provided by a male flight attendant wearing pink lipstick then I suppose there's a chance I may be pleasantly surprised.

In any case the remainder of the trip from SIN to HKG and then transpacific to LAX is on CX F (with which I am very familiar) so I definitely will have something to look forward to.
Old Sep 4, 10, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
It's F. You should expect an early dinner service followed by a light meal prior to arrival into Singapore. The 777s are a bit tired in F, but the IFE does seem to have settled down compared to last year -I may have been lucky this year, but it's been working on all bar one of my flights. The only problem I have with the IFE is that the content doesn't change enough and there's not enough of it -a few flights and I've watched everything that interests me. Having said that, I think that people tend to bring their own entertainment these days. I know it's a cliche but the iPad was the best purchase I ever made. It's great for longhaul flights and I take it in my hand luggage instead of my laptop. Anyway, I digress.

Don't knock BA service until you've tried it. I think the media and public knock BA far too much. Yes, there are some crew who don't make much of an effort or are having a crap day. I actually think that BA crew in F are offering better service than ever -again, it may just be that I'm actually paying more attention or maybe it's just fluke, but I really think that things like name recognition etc are done far more frequently these days. I also find, ironically, that the CSD is more visible than ever in the F cabin!!

Go in expecting mediocre food, professional service and a small IFE screen and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. BA is still a really good choice.

I'm very jealous -I've got loads of work to do this week so I'll swap you if you like
Old Sep 4, 10, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I base my expectations (mirroring Hiddy's experience) on inedible food and indifferent service provided by a male flight attendant wearing pink lipstick then I suppose there's a chance I may be pleasantly surprised..
Indeed....it'll be fine I'm sure. Everyone has a different opinion when it comes to reviewing a flight. However,we are both easy pleased and even my wife thought it was a poor flight.....doesn't mean to say yours will be though. I was just a bit miffed because it was a all male cabin crew in the F cabin. I like the feminine touch.
Old Sep 4, 10, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN View Post
I actually think that BA crew in F are offering better service than ever -again, it may just be that I'm actually paying more attention or maybe it's just fluke, but I really think that things like name recognition etc are done far more frequently these days. I also find, ironically, that the CSD is more visible than ever in the F cabin!!
And your experiences are to be taken far more seriously than mine....good to hear you are seeing a better service.
Old Sep 4, 10, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Gentlemen thank you again for your comments. When I said I was looking forward to my first BA flight in many years, I truly meant it, and the experiences related here only serve to reinforce that thought. The flight isn't until the end of next month but I promise to come back with a full report. I bet you will be hearing the story of a pleasant and enjoyable flight.
Old Sep 5, 10, 2:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold & Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN View Post
I actually think that BA crew in F are offering better service than ever -again, it may just be that I'm actually paying more attention or maybe it's just fluke, but I really think that things like name recognition etc are done far more frequently these days. I also find, ironically, that the CSD is more visible than ever in the F cabin!!

Go in expecting mediocre food, professional service and a small IFE screen and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. BA is still a really good choice.
After reading the various BA FIRST threads I had my expectations set at that level and was pleasantly surprised on a LHR-EWR flight in July.

Crew were attentive, the flute of Kir Royale was never less than half full and the CSD came around before landing to thank each passenger for their custom. And the pyjamas and Anya Hindmarch amenity kit are probably some of the best out of there at the moment.

I don't fly BA that often but that flight certainly left a good impression.
Old Sep 5, 10, 7:12 am

Programs: BA GGL Gold, HHonors Diamond
Currently 3/4 way through a F trip to SYD via SIN. Will put up more details when not on holiday but quick summary.

I left at 1530 landed at 2145 all on time. At check in you get a fast track security which took 5 mins max. The SYD lounge had amazing food as always - included in a dessert which had candy floss (but a bit posh). I had a proper 30 min massage in lounge too.

Boarding was quick as I was called for lounge at 2:45 and economy was all on board by looks. The crew were fab - as bit tired but its a long one. There were only 4 off us in first so rather than be lazy and slope off they turned to magic moment creation mode. The CSD even did a quick pop round to say hello.

The wines were top notch and bubbles flowed. The food was fab. The purser decided to created a taster plate of deserts for me. Then decided to insist we tried to cheese - "Even if we just nibbled".

I had no intentions of sleep so crew kept we filled up with wine and exspresso shots. The inslight choices were pleenty to keep me amused. Crew also made up my bed and checked with us that the temperature of cabin was ok.

Couple of hours before landed had some lovely afternoon tea with delightful sannies and naughty but very nice cakes - think little pink fancies!

The cabin in slightly dated but refresh is on way - quite frankly with service and soft product I rate it as better than my middle eastern carriers who insist on shutting me into an MDF shuttered coffin.

The type of flights that remind you that BA is top notch and even more so that CREW can turn average product into extraordinary experience!

PS I have to fly Jetstar tommorow grrr I think alchol may be required even if its just 2 hours and I have an extra leg room seat.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: