Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Show of hands... worth upgrading from WTP to Club world HKG - LHR for £399?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI

Hi,

I've just checked MMB and they are offering me an upgrade from WTP (T class) to Club for 399 pounds one way.

I guess it's up to personal opinion but would you say it's worth it? I think I'll give it a miss this time as I am coming up to the end of my membership year (still on blue) and therefore any tier points I make travelling in the next two months will be lost and wasted.

I've already upgraded the outbound flight on a pro-active upgrade so my total flight (WTP both ways) has currently cost me 835 pounds. If I did take up the offer the total flight would cost 1234 travelling out WTP and back club to HKG doesn't sound too expensive but perhaps too much in the era of austerity (I'm going for leisure but landing and going straight to work to save holidays - although I've done this a number of times before from hkg, even travelling in Y!).

Jon
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I'd do it but that's because I like the flat bed.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by monkeymagic
Hi,

I've just checked MMB and they are offering me an upgrade from WTP (T class) to Club for 399 pounds one way.

I guess it's up to personal opinion but would you say it's worth it? I think I'll give it a miss this time as I am coming up to the end of my membership year (still on blue) and therefore any tier points I make travelling in the next two months will be lost and wasted.

I've already upgraded the outbound flight on a pro-active upgrade so my total flight (WTP both ways) has currently cost me 835 pounds. If I did take up the offer the total flight would cost 1234 travelling out WTP and back club to HKG doesn't sound too expensive but perhaps too much in the era of austerity (I'm going for leisure but landing and going straight to work to save holidays - although I've done this a number of times before from hkg, even travelling in Y!).

Jon
Personally, I'd jump at that offer!
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Take 50% off it and I might push the boat out.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Definitely would.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I think you have answered your own question.

For me, I might pay the £399 for the extra comfort but as many will tell you, that buys a lot of meals etc whilst away or for boring things like mortgages at home.

The upgrade to WTP was, IMHO, a good move, however.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
I wouldn't hesitate 1 second, YES

Especially since you are Blue: Lounge and extra luggage.

The flat bed takes all the stress out of travel, depending on arrival time you can access the Arrivals lounge for a good breakfast and a shower.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:55 pm

Yeah, reckon I'd go for it ... Only just though. Sub-300 is no-brainer territory. Enjoy the journey, whichever way you go!
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I'd do it. If you don't the indecision will nag you the whole flight.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Lobengula

The flat bed takes all the stress out of travel, depending on arrival time you can access the Arrivals lounge for a good breakfast and a shower.
as a blue i would, as a silver(or gold) i would reconsider...
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI
Originally Posted by Lobengula

I agree with you and under normal circumstances I would jump at the chance.. I'm still pondering but my sensible side is saying "put away the credit card!".

My partner is in HK for 12 months working and my regular visits for long weekends (next week will be my 5th visit in 3 months) are starting to take a toll on my bank balance. I love flying anyway, obviously more when turning left on boarding but either way I normally board, zonk out for a number of hours then wake up and go.

I've flown business on most of my trips so far (using VS miles or BMI star alliance miles) but my reserves of miles are starting to dwindle so I decided actually to pay for a flight on BA for a change! It's turning out to be quite good value.

It's definitely a good offer which is why I thought I'd post it in case other people want to check their MMB to see if they get the same offer. Because of my circumstances, I'm travelling light (hand luggage only), probably skipping the meal (eating together at the airport beforehand) and may miss out on the lounge (as we will be spending out final moments saying bye.. although if I were allowed access to the CX lounge I'd probably say bye earlier so that I can visit it!).

Here's hoping that it will come free for a mileage upgrade and then I can upgrade guilt free!

Jon
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I'd do it. But then again, I wouldn't book at WT+ unless I could MFU it at time of booking.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by monkeymagic

Here's hoping that it will come free for a mileage upgrade and then I can upgrade guilt free!

Jon
The mileage upgrade would be the best of course. I have to admit I bit on a paid upgrade offer on an AC YYZ-YYC for about half that amount. I'm a nobody on AC. Flight was only 4.5 hours but it was an ongoing international flight so I got the flat bed. Normally I wouldn't do it but in this case I thought it was worth it. I place the value of the flat bed at about $75/hr if I'm paying for the upgrade..
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Does the £399 include seat selection and taxes/fees? When you go to book it and choose a seat, does the cost remain there, or does it really rise up above £500?
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:18 pm

Programs: BAEC: SILVER. BMIDC SILVER
I think £399 is good value for money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.