Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pro-active Upgrade cost tracking and questions thread

Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FinalBoarding
An “official POUG” is defined (for the purposes of this wiki) as the rate that appears in red on the MMB/BA app. It is NOT the rate offered at the airport (please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ng-thread.html), or the rate offered when you click on the “Upgrade my class of travel with money” link from within MMB, or the “Upgrade to the next available cabin” blue/grey banner in the app.
  • All POUGs earn full TPs and Avios for the upgraded cabin, subject to the original booking being paid for with cash.
  • POUGs *ARE* offered on Hand-Baggage Only fares, if available
  • POUGs only become available after 48 hours of making your booking, until any time up to, and including OLCI. After being checked in you will not be offered a POUG.
  • POUGs do not seem to become available for travel agent bookings, until 2-3 days before departure (YMMV)
  • POUGs cannot be requested from Service Centres, except that occasionally BA.com will not proceed with a POUG online and display a message inviting you to call the Service Centre to complete the transaction.
  • After a POUG has been purchased, the ticket become non changeable and non refundable, apart from government taxes.

Please add to this list as required, and include the month/year when the POUG is offered to you.

LON to Europe from ET to CE (typically £59-£69 for Band 1, £69-£79 for Band 2, £79-£89 for Band 3 and £89-£99 for Band 4):
  • ACE - £105
  • AGP – £79 (£99/€119 Dec 2014)
  • AMS - £69 / £56 (£99 from HBO in Nov 2014)
  • ATH - £99 (£109 from HBO in Oct 2014)
  • ARN – £72
  • BCN – £79 (£89 for Silver/Bronze and £114 for HBO Blue Dec 2014 - same fight, two bookings) // Blue Feb 2015 - LGW - BCN - £89 / BCN to LHR £115)
  • BGO – £64 (£79 for HBO in SEP2014)
  • BRI - £119 / €144 (Dec 2014)
  • BRU - £69
  • BSL - CHF 85 for BSL-LHR (£55 at then exchange rate) (CHF120 in Dec 2014)
  • BUD - £79 (£89 and £105 Dec 2014)
  • CDG - £69 (£75 Dec 2014; CDG-LHR €115 Dec 2014)
  • CMF - £69 (Dec 2014)
  • CPH - £79 (£129 from HBO Nov 2014)
  • CTA - £119/€144 (both Dec 2014)
  • DBV – £79
  • DUB – £69/£56 (£99 from HBO Nov 2014, £80 Dec 2014)
  • DUS – £69
  • FCO - £170 (Dec 14)
  • FRA – £69
  • GIB - £72 (£140 Dec 14)
  • GOT – £79
  • GVA - £79/£89
  • HAJ – £69
  • HAM – £69
  • HEL – £89
  • INN – £89 out / €109 back (Dec 14)
  • IST – £89
  • JER – £69
  • KBP - £80 / USD 129 (BA is not currently accepting Ukrainian currency)
  • LCA – £89 (£190 Dec 2014 from LCA; separately £134 to LCA Dec 2014)
  • LIN – £79
  • LIS – £79 (£119 offered Nov 14, £99 and £145 Dec 14)
  • LUX - £69
  • MAD - £79
  • MAH - £69
  • MUC - £79
  • MXP - £119 (€89 MXP - LHR)
  • NCE - £140 (each way, 21/DEC/14)
  • ORY - £69
  • OSL - £79 (£64/640 NOK reported)
  • OTP - £79/€89
  • PMI - £69 (Dec 2014)
  • PRG – £79
  • PSA - £79
  • SZG - £114 (Nov 2015)
  • SOF - £89
  • STR – £69
  • TIA – £89 (£99 offered Dec 14 for TIA-LGW) (€119 TIA-LGW Dec 2014)
  • TRN – £79
  • TXL – £69
  • VCE – £79
  • VIE – £79 [£129 as of Nov14! GBP99 LHR-VIE + GBP99 VIE-LHR Nov14]
  • VRN- €139 (~£110) Nov 2014 - £89 / €109 Dec 2014
  • WAW – £69 (£110 Dec 14)
  • ZAG – £79
  • ZRH – £79 (£87 (CHF135) for ZRH-LHR): LCY-ZRH + v.v. £69 (offered 11/14)

LON to North America (price shown from lower cabin to mentioned cabin, e.g. WTP means price to POUG from WT to WTP):
  • ATL - WTP £189
  • BOS – WTP £189 (mid-2014) £219 (December 2014)
  • IAD - WTP £157
  • JFK/EWR – WTP £189 (can be as low as £133) / CW £443 / F £527 (F £599 02/08)
  • LAS - WTP £180
  • LAX – WTP £229 / CW £599 (CW £548 Jan 2015)
  • MCO– WTP £180
  • MEX – F £447/£525 / £229 WT-WTP (November 28 2015)/ 4640 MXN WT-WTP (December 14 2015)
  • MIA – WTP £209 / CW £525
  • ORD – WTP £171 / CW £525 / F £499
  • PHL – WTP £189
  • SAN – CW £599
  • SEA – WTP £199
  • SFO – WTP £170
  • YYZ – WTP £171 (return leg) / CW £425 / F £499
  • YYC - WTP £134
  • YVR – WTP £175 / CW £350

LON to South America (price shown from lower cabin to mentioned cabin, e.g. WTP means price to POUG from WT to WTP):
  • EZE – WTP £199
  • GRU – WTP £209 / F £499 / WT to CW £699
  • GIG - WT to CW £699

LON to Asia (price shown from lower cabin to mentioned cabin, e.g. WTP means price to POUG from WT to WTP):
  • BKK - WTP £126-£140 / CW £549 / F £
  • BOM - WTP £ / CW £450 / F £
  • DEL - F £499, subsequently reduced to £400
  • HKG – WTP £199 (offered £172 for a Nov 2014 flight) / CW £599 / F £599
  • NRT - WTP £199 / CW £ / F £525
  • ICN - CW £499
  • SIN - WTP SGD$320

LON to Australia and Oceania (price shown from lower cabin to mentioned cabin, e.g. WTP means price to POUG from WT to WTP):
  • SYD – WTP £170 / CW £399

LON to Africa & Middle East (price shown from lower cabin to mentioned cabin, e.g. WTP means price to POUG from WT to WTP):
  • AUH – F £499
  • CAI - WTP £121
  • DXB – WTP £179 / F £499
  • EBB - WTP £142
  • JNB - WTP £209
  • NBO - WTP £189

Non-LON routes (price shown from lower cabin to mentioned cabin, e.g. WTP means price to POUG from WT to WTP):
  • SYD-SIN – F £465
  • AMS-LGW - CE €79
  • BCN-LHR - CE £64
  • BRU-LHR - CE £105 (12.2014)
  • CDG-LHR - CE €79
  • DUB-LHR - CE €109 (£85.70-ish) from HBO booked 05.12.14, offered 08.12.14
  • BOM-LHR - F cINR40,000 (c£395)
  • JNB-LHR WTP - £189
  • TLV-LHR - F $600 (c£370)
Print Wikipost

Pro-active Upgrade cost tracking and questions thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Has anyone ever seen proactive upgrades offered on flights originating in the regions?

I've got an upcoming EDI-LHR-SFO and its looking pretty full:

F7 A3 J3 C0 D0 R0 I0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 Q0 G0 W2 E0 T0 N0 O0

I'm in WT+ and over the past couple of weeks I've been monitoring the W class which went from its original 9 to hit zero, went back up to 4 or 5 (Revenue Management I guess), went back to 1 and now sits at 2. Its obviously impossible to say if WT+ is overbooked but I suspect it might be and that revenue management have opened up some more seats and that there will be some upgrades on board.

However, I'd probably jump at the chance to pay a cash upgrade (no MFU availability) but I've never actually been offered a proactive upgrade before. Most of my flights originate in EDI.

So, has anyone actually seen a pro-active upgrade offer when the flight originates in the regions, and where on MMB does it actually appear? Also, is there such a thing as an typical WT+ -> Club pro-active upgrade price for this route?
I am hesitant to put forward a black and white answer. In my experience, which relates exclusively to trips ticketed from EDI to short haul European destinations and booked in discounted economy, none of these tickets were eligible for POUG. This, I have been told by BA, is due to the rules that apply to these specific fare combinations, with emphasis on the adjective specific.

I think if any POUG proposition is going to be made available to a ticket containing UK domestic feeders it may be those with a fare combination that work within the existing MFU mechanism. Thus, in theory, a EDI-LHR-SFO booked in T class with domestic sectors booked in J may well be eligible for POUG (subject to availability). Whether MMB has been primed to offer this is a different issue.

Just my musing on the subject.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:35 pm

I booked a WT fare on ba.com earlier today. I was hoping to upgrade. I went to MMB and under Change booking I can't see:

* Upgrade my class of travel with money; or
* Upgrade my class of travel with miles

However, I can see:

* Change date/time of my flight
* Cancel/refund my flight

I suspect I've dropped another clanger...

What have I done wrong?

Palmer
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Prospero
I am hesitant to put forward a black and white answer. In my experience, which relates exclusively to trips ticketed from EDI to short haul European destinations and booked in discounted economy, none of these tickets were eligible for POUG. This, I have been told by BA, is due to the rules that apply to these specific fare combinations, with emphasis on the adjective specific.

I think if any POUG proposition is going to be made available to a ticket containing UK domestic feeders it may be those with a fare combination that work within the existing MFU mechanism. Thus, in theory, a EDI-LHR-SFO booked in T class with domestic sectors booked in J may well be eligible for POUG (subject to availability). Whether MMB has been primed to offer this is a different issue.

Just my musing on the subject.
Mr H travelled MAN-LHR-BOS in J domestic, T transatlantic but was not offered an upgrade on MMB. Several people were op upped WT+ to CW on the flight, but not him.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by HilFly
Mr H travelled MAN-LHR-BOS in J domestic, T transatlantic but was not offered an upgrade on MMB. Several people were op upped WT+ to CW on the flight, but not him.
So on my EDI-LHR-SFO where no PAUG was offered on MMB, i was upgraded at EDI bag-drop, so it doesn't rule out upgrades.

BA is losing money by not offering POUGs from flights started in the regions as I'd likely have paid a reasonable amount.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:41 pm

So on my EDI-LHR-SFO where no PAUG was offered on MMB, i was upgraded at EDI bag-drop, so it doesn't rule out upgrades.

BA is losing money by not offering POUGs from flights started in the regions as I'd likely have paid a reasonable amount.

The staff at the ticket desk at MAN claimed they couldn't do upgrades. His MAN-LHR flight was late so he didn't have time to try and do anything at LHR.

It was doubly annoying seeing so many people op upped. (He overheard them and chatted to some of them at the gate - this is how he knew.) This was a trip that was originally booked as WT+ MFUd to CW. When the dates had to be changed there was no CW availablity for upgrade, but they told us to keep on trying. Checking MMB and calling BAEC proved fruitless, but they told him he'd be able to do it at the the airport. Seems strange that someone can be begging to use miles or money for an upgrade but instead people get op upped.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver
The staff at the ticket desk at MAN claimed they couldn't do upgrades. His MAN-LHR flight was late so he didn't have time to try and do anything at LHR.
To be clear, my flight was competely ful and I suspect heavily oversold, so it wasn't the EDI agent that upgraded me, but the upgrade had been processed by BA by the time i came to drop off my bag in EDI.

It was doubly annoying seeing so many people op upped. (He overheard them and chatted to some of them at the gate - this is how he knew.) This was a trip that was originally booked as WT+ MFUd to CW. When the dates had to be changed there was no CW availablity for upgrade, but they told us to keep on trying. Checking MMB and calling BAEC proved fruitless, but they told him he'd be able to do it at the the airport. Seems strange that someone can be begging to use miles or money for an upgrade but instead people get op upped.
Does MrHiFly have status? If not, then its unlikely he'd ever have been op-up'd- status passengers will invariably come first.

He should not have been told that he would be able to upgrade at the airport; you cannot MFU at the airport and I guess they were trying to indicate that he could ask about a paid upgrade.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:14 pm

To be clear, my flight was competely ful and I suspect heavily oversold, so it wasn't the EDI agent that upgraded me, but the upgrade had been processed by BA by the time i came to drop off my bag in EDI.

Does MrHiFly have status? If not, then its unlikely he'd ever have been op-up'd- status passengers will invariably come first.

He should not have been told that he would be able to upgrade at the airport; you cannot MFU at the airport and I guess they were trying to indicate that he could ask about a paid upgrade.
Mr HilFly is silver. He wasn't trying to MFU at the airport - he was enquiring about paid upgrades. Over the phone he was trying to MFU or pay for a cash upgrade, but the only price he was offered was the difference between his T fare and a C fare.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Palmer
What have I done wrong?
You have failed to book the cabin in which you actually want to travel.

You know these things are not guaranteed. They're nice if they happen, but relying on their availability is a certain route to frequent disappointment.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
You have failed to book the cabin in which you actually want to travel.

You know these things are not guaranteed. They're nice if they happen, but relying on their availability is a certain route to frequent disappointment.
I was trying to retrospectively upgrade with miles. However, I found this a little later in the Ultimate Guide, under Spending Miles

You can only upgrade from Economy to WT+ if your ticket is a Y B H fare. You CANNOT upgrade from a cheapy economy fare to WT+
Oh well, I've bagged 28J and 51J - that'll teach me..!

Palmer
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Couple of questions re these special MMB upgrades...

1. What fare bucket do WT to WT+ upgrades book into? And is this regardless of what the original Y fare bucket was.

2. if the answer to the first is that the upgrade is booked into a regular revenue fare bucket then what happens with redemption bookings? Does choosing the upgrade change them to a normal miles/tier points earning booking and therefore also change the T&C of the ticket?

3. Is it common to get a double offer, i.e. first from Y to W and then get an offer to J?

Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
1. Our G went to P, which is a non-upgradeable code, i.e. no further upgrade.

2. Earns miles and TPs as WT+. I guess the original T+Cs apply.

3. No, just one class up. Of course, you may be op-upped, as has happened to FTers.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Roger
3. No, just one class up. Of course, you may be op-upped, as has happened to FTers.
Yes, I did a £115 upgrade to BOS recently from WT to WTP, got an exit row at OLCI and then got an OpUp to Upper Deck CW at check-in. From cattle to upstairs for just over a hundred quid. Great bargain!
Old Oct 12, 2010, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Cheers guys.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I recently flew SYD-BKK on BA10. Booked into Y, I was offered AUD349 for an upgrade to WT+, and AUD1000 for an upgrade straight to J. So it seems in this instance it was possible to upgrade by more than one class.

I suppose AUD1000 used to be roughly GBP399, but with the current exchange rates it's an awful lot more than that!

I took the $349 upgrade to WT+, though for some reason only the original Y points and SCs (I'm a QF FF, not BAEC) have been credited. I'll give it another day to sort itself out and then give QF or BA a call.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
PHX-LHR WT to WT+

Ok I just read the whole thread and it looks like BA does offer upgrades at most of time reasonable prices. I'm wondering if the upgrade is worth it on the flight. I haven't seen anyone post the same route I plan on taking. So is the upgrade worth the price?

Originally Posted by HighlandPark
I wonder if it might be worth trying to compile a list of MMB upgrade prices as it might be helpful for anyone looking for TPs who is prepared to buy a cheap economy return and gamble on an MMB upgrade being available.

My contribution to the list is that on MMB recently I have seen £80 for LGW-MRS (£160 for a return) and £100 for LGW-NAP (£200 for a return).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.