Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

MIA International connections - no need to collect bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As a reminder, intl-intl connections at MIA allow you to check the bags through to the final destination.

Not only that, but we were pleasantly surprised that with an 20 hour overnight connection (BA arriving 1350, AA departing 1015 the next morning) our bag tags automatically printed at T5 with the final destination, and the BA check-in lady added an additional big red tag "Transfer Bag - Do Not Restore to Passenger Within USA".

We were convinced the bags would get returned at MIA but they didn't. And then even more convinced that the bags would never reach the onward flight to LIR, but they did. So big thumbs up, and worth bearing in mind if you are planning a trip through MIA with an overnight connection.

Although a long walk from plane to immigratrion, we cleared immigration, customs and were checked in at the MIA Airport Hilton about 45 minutes after landing.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
As a reminder, intl-intl connections at MIA allow you to check the bags through to the final destination.

Not only that, but we were pleasantly surprised that with an 20 hour overnight connection (BA arriving 1350, AA departing 1015 the next morning) our bag tags automatically printed at T5 with the final destination, and the BA check-in lady added an additional big red tag "Transfer Bag - Do Not Restore to Passenger Within USA".

We were convinced the bags would get returned at MIA but they didn't. And then even more convinced that the bags would never reach the onward flight to LIR, but they did. So big thumbs up, and worth bearing in mind if you are planning a trip through MIA with an overnight connection.

Although a long walk from plane to immigratrion, we cleared immigration, customs and were checked in at the MIA Airport Hilton about 45 minutes after landing.

Good to see a common sense approach. Couldn't believe ATL arrivals last night. We cleared immigration and customs, then had to go through incoming security where we were screened again as you would be at departure (x-ray, metal detectors et al). Those who had checked baggage had to retrieve it then deposit it again for full inspection also. Crazy system!!
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:46 am

Thanks for the timely reminder, Smirny. However, let's be absolutely clear that "I T I" ("International Transit Interlining") only works for onward destinations outside of the USA and Canada. If you are travelling onwards within the USA or Canada, you must clear customs at the first point of entry before re-depositing your bags at the transfer area.

I would add that Continental in Houston (IAH) also have this facility for Mexican / South American and non-USA Pacific destinations (Hawaii being a "US State" and Guam (GUM) also classed as US property) transit bags, although it is pretty rare nowadays for us to see anyone through-ticketed BA on to CO.

I would add a reminder that you should watch for the check-in agent to place orange "I T I" tags on to your baggage. These help make certain that your bags don't end up on the main baggage carousel in MIA or IAH!
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
That's good news because in the past we have had good and bad experiences of this so will look forward to my next TP run via MIA
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by bealine
However, let's be absolutely clear that "I T I" ("International Transit Interlining") only works for onward destinations outside of the USA and Canada. If you are travelling onwards within the USA or Canada, you must clear customs at the first point of entry before re-depositing your bags at the transfer area.
I was about to make the same point before people get excited that travelling to the US a final destination has been made easier.

Still useful information on International to International though.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks for the timely reminder, Smirny. However, let's be absolutely clear that "I T I" ("International Transit Interlining") only works for onward destinations outside of the USA and Canada. If you are travelling onwards within the USA or Canada, you must clear customs at the first point of entry before re-depositing your bags at the transfer area.
That wasn't my experience at the end in July of this year. We got our bags checked through LHR-MIA-PLS (Caribbean) on the way out, but on the way back, although they were tagged all the way through, we had to collect them in MIA and take them to the baggage transit area

This was a single BA/AA itinerary and although the AA checkin agent at PLS initially said they'd be automatically sent all the way through, she didn't seem sure so we got her to check and she came back and say we had to collect them at MIA.

So, i'd definitely get the checkin agent to double-check, just in case.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 12:57 pm

bealine, do you know if the Bahamas are treated as an international destination from MIA or not?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
bealine, do you know if the Bahamas are treated as an international destination from MIA or not?
From AA's perspective, they treat the whole of the Caribbean as 'domestic' in many aspects. Wouldn't surprise me if it impacted the baggage handling in this case as well.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 3:38 pm

Yes. I have done CDG-MIA-FPO a few times and my bags were checked through, no need to pick them up at MIA
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:13 pm

As aurelien75017 discovered, the Bahamas is fine for interlining.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Goodness it is a very long walk, isn't it? I mean, I love having a stretch after a long flight but at MIA it can be more like a marathon.

I would add that Continental in Houston (IAH) also have this facility for Mexican / South American and non-USA Pacific destinations (Hawaii being a "US State" and Guam (GUM) also classed as US property) transit bags, although it is pretty rare nowadays for us to see anyone through-ticketed BA on to CO.
Do the quotation marks for Hawaii imply anything, or was that just a "stylistic" use of "punctuation"?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Do the quotation marks for Hawaii imply anything, or was that just a "stylistic" use of "punctuation"?
No, it' just that the Hawaiian islands being so far away from the US mainland and not so typically American, it is the one US state I always used to forget in Geography tests at school! (Longer ago that I care to think about - indeed, in today's geography lessons, capital cities of the world and US states don't seem to be taught at all!)

I would wager that a good many Europeans who first start considering Hawaii as a venue for a wedding, honeymoon or chill-out holiday do not realise it is a US State when they first start making their plans!

(............and if you are considering a vacation in Hawaii, please think about visiting some of the other islands too! Everyone goes to Oahu (Honolulu) or Maui (for weddings) but the other islands all have their unique charms too!)

http://www.gohawaii.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.