Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Disabled Travellers, BA gets you to the plane and then abandons you.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disabled Travellers, BA gets you to the plane and then abandons you.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down Disabled Travellers, BA gets you to the plane and then abandons you.

BA is really good at getting disabled travellers to the plane but once they're onboard they are practically abandoned and their disabilities are not considered.

My friends parents were travelling from South Africa to England. In preparing for the journey they needed to book specific seats in accordance with Mrs Moore's disability and BA couldn't guarantee anything. They could however safely get them to the plane doors.

An eight hour flight with a woman only able to use one arm and a foot in a cast knows she has requirements. They were flying to their daughter's wedding at the time.

They tried contact BA staff and were lead a merry dance. In the end they just had to go to the airport and hope a stewardess would be kind enough to accommodate them.

This is something that needs to be reviewed. The flights reserved for babies were given priority over a disabled woman. How does that work.

Would be interested to get feedback on this one.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:52 am

More details would be helpful. Was the service on board actually bad? What did your friend want BA to guarantee?

What do you mean by 'the flights reserved for babies'?

Not a lot of sense is being made
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:02 am

Programs: Mixed Fleet CSM
Talking

Originally Posted by FlyingDiva
BA is really good at getting disabled travellers to the plane but once they're onboard they are practically abandoned and their disabilities are not considered.

My friends parents were travelling from South Africa to England. In preparing for the journey they needed to book specific seats in accordance with Mrs Moore's disability and BA couldn't guarantee anything. They could however safely get them to the plane doors.

An eight hour flight with a woman only able to use one arm and a foot in a cast knows she has requirements. They were flying to their daughter's wedding at the time.

They tried contact BA staff and were lead a merry dance. In the end they just had to go to the airport and hope a stewardess would be kind enough to accommodate them.

This is something that needs to be reviewed. The flights reserved for babies were given priority over a disabled woman. How does that work.

Sorry but what is the point of just posting this with no real info? Do you work for a competitor............
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:04 am

Agree that more details are needed. As far as onboard service goes, disabled customers that need assistance on board such as going to the loo, feed themselves etc., must travel with a carer. Crew are neither trained nor have the time to perform these duties I'm afraid.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:08 am

Programs: BA

BA, like most airlines, have a standard process for dealing with people who have a disability of any sort. If people have specific requirements, it would seem sensible to contact BA (or any other carrier) first to ascertain what they will and will not do. Booking a ticket and then being disappointed when they won't do what you wish is foolhardy.

This of course is a second hand story, so scant in detail that it is impossible to comment or 'get feedback' as the OP asks for.

Edit - Have just read the OP's username. Perhaps adds some context to the 'story'.

Last edited by baggageinhall; Aug 1, 2010 at 6:10 am Reason: See above
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:26 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Saltine
What do you mean by 'the flights reserved for babies'?
I am guessing she meant "seats" and it means they were trying to get a bulkhead seat where parents with young children are normally seated because of the bassinet. But that's just a guess.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:27 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Alright, sure, since you ask.

You're going to need to provide a lot more details if you want to get any sort of meaningful assistance or sympathy on this one. I know you're angry but in order to determine if your anger is justified (totally or partially) it would be really useful to know exactly what you think should have happened and what actually did and did not happen.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:32 am

Programs: Too many...
Speaking personally, when travelling with my disabled father the assistance given to me by BA prior to travel (through the call centre) and on board has been superb. The transport from check in and pick up from plane provided by BAA's service provider, not so good... Hence when we travel to YVR next month I will be very happily travelling with BA but taking my fathers own travel wheelchair and pushing it myself!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:11 am

Programs: BA gold
Personal experience on-board is completely the opposite of the OP's, so much so, I wondered if OP was writing about another airline.

The devil's in the details and I am really intrigued now.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:16 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber

And is your Friend also too disabled to post this thread themselves. Sorry a Friend of a Friend of Parents and a Negative First Time poster...
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Flyersj18
Speaking personally, when travelling with my disabled father the assistance given to me by BA prior to travel (through the call centre) and on board has been superb. The transport from check in and pick up from plane provided by BAA's service provider, not so good... Hence when we travel to YVR next month I will be very happily travelling with BA but taking my fathers own travel wheelchair and pushing it myself!
OCS the additional needs provider did perform poorly. As of today Omniserve have taken over this process at Heathrow for BAA and all carriers who use LHR.

Omniserve seem very on the ball and will also be introducing a new type of chair which is already used by them in many US airports and is the standard one in US hospitals (apparently). We are all very hopeful that the level of service delivered in the terminals will be satisfactory with this new provider.

As for the OP, I find it hard to believe that any crews would simply leave someone sat in a seat with no assistance! Certainly more details are needed to understand the complaint as it makes little sense as it is.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

ba.com has some information for the disabled traveller when on board.

Companions providing assistance will be required if you are unable to independently:

* lift yourself
* reach an emergency exit unaided
* communicate with the crew on safety matters
* unfasten a seat belt
* retrieve and fit a life jacket
* fit an oxygen mask

The crew cannot assist you with breathing apparatus, eating, medication or going to the toilet, although they will help you get to and from the toilet when there is an on-board wheelchair available.

Facilities on board the aircraft

* On-board wheelchairs are available on all flights over 5 hours.
* Adapted toilets with handrails on Boeing 747 aircraft. There are no adapted toilets or on-board wheelchairs on flights of less than 5 hours.
* A number of seats with lifting armrests for ease of access.
* We will do our best to allocate you a seat that is most suitable to your needs. We will not be able to seat you in an emergency exit or cross aisles which form part of an emergency exit, due to safety regulations.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:51 am
pb3

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
oh and...welcome to Flyertalk FlyingDiva
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:55 am

They "abandoned" her???

Did they not allow her to travel in the seat she paid for? Did they refuse her drink and food service? Tell everyone else not to talk to her?

Perhaps this is a case of someone discovering the world (and flight) did not revolve around them (and I will admit that I get irritated as can be when that happens to me too.).
Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Companions providing assistance will be required if you are unable to independently:
* communicate with the crew on safety matters
Interesting one that. I dare say that from time to time BA have passengers on board who speak neither English nor the language of any of the crew on board. But presumably BA can carry these passengers so what is the difference with disabled people not being able to communicate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.