Transfer BA Miles

Old Jul 30, 10, 8:52 am
Company Representative - British Airways
Original Poster

Transfer BA Miles

Dear all

Just an early notice of an offer we are running from today.

Transfer some of your BA.Miles to a family member or friend until 31August.2010 and we'll add a 25% BA.Miles bonus to their account, which they can use right away.

You can do this by logging into your Executive Club account and selecting the sharing BA Miles section on the navigation bar.

Happy transferring

Best regards

Nicci
Old Jul 30, 10, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BA Executive Club View Post
Dear all

Just an early notice of an offer we are running from today.

Transfer some of your BA.Miles to a family member or friend until 31August.2010 and we'll add a 25% BA.Miles bonus to their account, which they can use right away.

You can do this by logging into your Executive Club account and selecting the sharing BA Miles section on the navigation bar.

Happy transferring

Best regards

Nicci
Ooops - appears like i jumped the gun on my post earlier this week.
(still not a very good deal thought!)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-ba-com.html
Old Jul 30, 10, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Transfer your BA miles and we'll include a bonus. Yeah, right...

This is the topic of an BAEC email I received 1 minute ago. 99% of the time the BA mails are appreciated and not too overly commercial. Unfotunately the latest attempt by BA to generate extra revenue has rubbed me the wrong way. What I figured as a nice gesture by BA turns out to be another revenue generator. They charge a rather hefty fee meaning you basically pay for the 25% bonus and a little extra. Not the kind of marketing I like to be insulted by.

Not BAEC's finest hour. What do you think?
Old Jul 30, 10, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I think it is a good offer. Often times friends who've only flown BA once will have thousands of miles sitting in a newly created account that are useless to them. If a friend has the miles you need, it is over 50% cheaper to pay to have them transferred from your friend, rather than buying them from BA. Plus you get a 25% bonus.

EDIT to provide example: I flew with a friend to Europe last year, and he accumulated over 18,000 miles on the trip. He flies BA once every five years. I'm very seriously considering buying those miles for $235, which will give me around 23,000 miles with the bonus. 19,000 miles purchased from BA would cost around $550.
Old Jul 30, 10, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AGSF View Post
I think it is a good offer. Often times friends who've only flown BA once will have thousands of miles sitting in a newly created account that are useless to them. If a friend has the miles you need, it is over 50% cheaper to pay to have them transferred from your friend, rather than buying them from BA. Plus you get a 25% bonus.
No, no, no... You already earned the miles. So they are yours. You pay for the transfer. That transfer fee is more than what the 25% bonus miles would cost. Much more. I am however glad that some people will think it is a good deal so it will generate a lot of revenue for BA. I view it quite differently.

It would have been ok if they simply said: you transfer x miles and you need to buy 25% additional miles at the normal price + 20%.

Lets say you transfer 17.500 miles. That will cost you €160 for which you friend gets 4375 miles extra, whilst 5000 miles cost €139. BA is not paying anything. I am. For €300 more they can buy 19000 miles and I can keep mine.

Last edited by henkybaby; Jul 30, 10 at 12:41 pm
Old Jul 30, 10, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
No, no, no... You already earned the miles. So they are yours. You pay for the transfer. That transfer fee is more than what the 25% bonus miles would cost. Much more. I am however glad that some people will think it is a good deal so it will generate a lot of revenue for BA. I view it quite differently.

It would have been ok if they simply said: you transfer x miles and you need to buy 25% additional miles at the normal price + 20%.
I can see how it might be viewed as annoying to "pay" for miles that have already been earned, but my point is this: If my friend has 19,000 miles, and I need 19,000 miles, without this offer (and assuming I don't have an AMEX account or something like that), my only option would be to purchase those 19,000 miles from BA for $550. With this offer, I can get the 19,000 miles plus a nice bonus for $235. True, the miles have been earned, and true I am paying for them, but if they are useless to my friend, and useful to me, it is a good route to go for the miles I want.
Old Jul 30, 10, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can see how it might be viewed as annoying to "pay" for miles that have already been earned [snip] and useful to me, it is a good route to go for the miles I want.
I am not debating the usefulness of it, my objection is with the tone of voice of the action. BA is not 'giving 25% miles extra', I am, since I am paying for them (and a rather high price too).

Sorry Nicci, I am sure it was all meant well and maybe it is just me....
Old Jul 30, 10, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6

EDIT to provide example: I flew with a friend to Europe last year, and he accumulated over 18,000 miles on the trip. He flies BA once every five years. I'm very seriously considering buying those miles for $235, which will give me around 23,000 miles with the bonus. 19,000 miles purchased from BA would cost around $550.
Wouldn't it be better for your friend to top up the miles for a relatively few dollars and get a redemption ticket on AA? For that matter, move / borrow some AMEX points so they don't have to put out the cash?

I agree with Henky - this is an expensive way to get miles even with the bonus.
Old Jul 30, 10, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bernardd View Post
I agree with Henky - this is an expensive way to get miles even with the bonus.
The only miles you actually 'get' are the bonus miles and they are 25% more expensive than normally purchased miles.

Unless accounting principles have radically changed recently...
Old Jul 30, 10, 12:59 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
The only miles you actually 'get' are the bonus miles and they are 25% more expensive than normally purchased miles.
Very well put!

N.b. it would frequently be better for your firend to buy more miles and just book for you.
Old Jul 30, 10, 1:05 pm

Programs: Platinum Amex, BAEC Blue, BA PP Amex, Club SLH, Avis Wizard
I haven't posted for a while but I had to say something about this. What an absolutely shameful con! This is quite obviously aimed at those who don't bother to do the simple maths in working out the prices.

Very poor show BAEC, poor show
Old Jul 30, 10, 1:08 pm

Programs: BAEC: SILVER. BMIDC SILVER
So I take it there's no point in transferring miles between HH accounts?
Old Jul 30, 10, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andygeog View Post
So I take it there's no point in transferring miles between HH accounts?
None whatsoever. Not allowed per the conditions of the offer either.
Old Jul 31, 10, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by PointsMeanPrizes View Post
I haven't posted for a while but I had to say something about this. What an absolutely shameful con! This is quite obviously aimed at those who don't bother to do the simple maths in working out the prices.

Very poor show BAEC, poor show
Totally agree, an utter shambles. Do they think people are number blind?

If BA truly wanted to help those stuck with a small tranch of effectively unuseable miles and at the same time reduce the vast "miles lake" they should have done exactly the opposite. Let those who are "miles rich" transfer unlimited miles and waive the fee, but devalue all miles transfered by 25%.

Pirate
Old Jul 31, 10, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pirate22 View Post
Let those who are "miles rich" transfer unlimited miles and waive the fee, but devalue all miles transfered by 25%.

Pirate
Excellent suggestion and much less transparent.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: