Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stowing electronic devices for landing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2010, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Don't forget the Crackberry-crowd...
Yeah although mine goes into flight mode before we take off and is then switched off along with my mobile (which is also in flight mode) till we reach cruising height.

Still can't understand the decision by RIM not to sell the 9100 in this country

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jun 15, 2010 at 2:07 pm
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Don't forget the Crackberry-crowd...
Yes On my flight from SFO-LHR there was a lady who deemed it OK to carry on a conversation that she started when we were still over London and continued until she was walking down the airbridge. Crew said nothing
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Blue
I like what AA do regarding mobiles. They say you can continue to use the phones on the round until they make an announcement, and then on landing they say we'll announce when you can use them again. In both cases they try to give you as much time as possible then a clear cut-off, which is a great way of doing it.

On take-off the cut-off is as the aircraft is reaching the runway, and on landing it's allowed once you're off the runway. Larger electronic items (laptops etc) still have to be stowed early as normal. With BA they say no mobiles from doors closed on take-off, and on landing until you've reached the gate, which is stricter and hence probably invites more chancers who think they know better.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
We do the same, however we just do it before we push back from stand:

"Ladies and Gentleman, we are now ready for departure, so all mobile telephones and electronic devices should be switched off. If you are wearing headsets or earphones, please remove them now. For further information about the use of electronic devices onboard, please refer to the 'Essentials' section in the 'Highlife' magazine in the seat pocket in front of you. Please now ensure your seat belt is securely fastened and do make yourself comfortable. Thank you."

Usually at the point, on short haul, that the flight deck door is closed a minute or two before push-back.

When we get the 10/15 minutes to landing call:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the Captain has turned on the fasten seat belt sign as we sill shortly be landing in XXX. Please return to your seat and ensure your seat belt is securely fastened, your tray table is folded away and your seat back is in the fully upright position with the arm rests down. All electronic devices should now be switched off and all headsets removed. I would like to remind you that mobile telephones must remain switched off till we have arrived at the terminal building and the engines have been shut down" etc...

So, we give clear cut off points.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 3:32 pm

Yes I agree, pretty clear cut-off points.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: AF FB Platinum, BA EC Gold, StarGold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Amex Centurion
All this fuss about shutting down electronic equipments is a total .........

I don't even understand why they keep using these old and sterile rules. It doesn't change anything that i keep working on my blackberry while taxiing for 20 mins in CDG or LHR.... Oh yeah you gotta follow the rule... Stupid and useless rule.

As said someone earlier, at least all the american airlines allow you to switch on your mobile phone as soon as you're off the runaway. And it allows people to start answering emails and handle work urgencies during a period of wasted time. I would REALLY like to know a good reason why we couldn't start using them as soon as we're off the runaway.

Same thing for using an ipod or the IFE during takeoff and landing. Any good reason apart from this "so called" security reason ? On Virgin America, they switch on the IFE while at the gate, and you can start watching your movie even when people are still boarding, and they switch it off once you're connected with the jetway.

Clear cut-off points, but absolutely non-sense...
Old Jun 15, 2010, 3:37 pm

You want the original for training purposes?

I agree with you however, I was wearing headphones so I might have missed the announcements, but as I said, the crew said it was ok...

Regarding said crew; I have seen a crew member only three or four times during the 12hr flight. The overall service was pretty p!ss poor as well.

Aircraft was falling apart too. That piece came off during takeoff and turbulence. Totally off. Potential hazard too.

These pieces aren't held on by too much actually. We sometimes have to take them off, to
a) manually move the seat, or
b) look for a missing silver toothpick... I kid you not!, or
c) a missing pen, piece of jewellery, credit card, or other things I can't remember right now.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by micus

I don't even understand why they keep using these old and sterile rules. It doesn't change anything that i keep working on my blackberry while taxiing for 20 mins in CDG or LHR.... Oh yeah you gotta follow the rule... Stupid and useless rule.

As said someone earlier, at least all the american airlines allow you to switch on your mobile phone as soon as you're off the runaway. And it allows people to start answering emails and handle work urgencies during a period of wasted time. I would REALLY like to know a good reason why we couldn't start using them as soon as we're off the runaway.

Same thing for using an ipod or the IFE during takeoff and landing. Any good reason apart from this "so called" security reason ? On Virgin America, they switch on the IFE while at the gate, and you can start watching your movie even when people are still boarding, and they switch it off once you're connected with the jetway.
How do YOU know it doesn't change anything??

I've been on the flightdeck for landing, wearing headphones, so I can hear the pilots chatter, and also any chatter from ATC or the tower. After we had landed, the chatter from whoever it was (maybe tower) was interrupted by that noise I used to get when my mobile was placed next my old answering machine...funny irregular beeping. They missed the chatter, and had to ask them them to say again. I then heard the cabin crew make an ad-hoc PA asking all passengers to keep their phones off. .. An extra PA to the regular after-landing one.

I don't know about you, but I don't want any communications to the pilots interrupted.

Is it really that hard to hang on for a few minutes???
Old Jun 15, 2010, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Yes On my flight from SFO-LHR there was a lady who deemed it OK to carry on a conversation that she started when we were still over London and continued until she was walking down the airbridge. Crew said nothing
Were the crew aware?... do you think they knew?.. I'm not defending, only asking.

Last edited by flygirl68; Jun 15, 2010 at 3:58 pm Reason: 'cos I'm silly!
Old Jun 15, 2010, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clear cut-off points, but absolutely non-sense...
If you wish to complain about the rules, contact the CAA, they are ultimately in charge of such things. Let us know what the reply is and best of luck.

Edit: May be a useful starting point for contacting them: CAA Website
Old Jun 15, 2010, 4:03 pm

Programs: AF FB Platinum, BA EC Gold, StarGold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by flygirl68
How do YOU know it doesn't change anything??

I've been on the flightdeck for landing, wearing headphones, so I can hear the pilots chatter, and also any chatter from ATC or the tower. After we had landed, the chatter from whoever it was (maybe tower) was interrupted by that noise I used to get when my mobile was placed next my old answering machine...funny irregular beeping. They missed the chatter, and had to ask them them to say again. I then heard the cabin crew make an ad-hoc PA asking all passengers to keep their phones off. .. An extra PA to the regular after-landing one.

I don't know about you, but I don't want any communications to the pilots interrupted.

Is it really that hard to hang on for a few minutes???
I have indeed been a LOT of time in the flightdeck as well during both take off and landing. And i insist on what i said, i am a private pilot myself + have lots of friends pilot for BA, AF, AA, and have experienced take off and landings in various planes from each of these companies in the flightdeck.

All of my pilot friends in these airlines don't even shutdown their own mobile phone during takeoff/landing... I even recall a LHR-CDG flight on BA, where the captain picked up a phone call while they were on final approach...

I hate to say this, but the crackup you heard on the radio transmission between the flightdeck and ATC was probably not coming from the mobile phone of the gentleman behind, but could come from anything. In aeronautics we are using VHF/UHF... which can be impacted by almost anything electomagnetic. Even a lightning, you will hear a crack in the radio...
Old Jun 15, 2010, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
If you wish to complain about the rules, contact the CAA, they are ultimately in charge of such things. Let us know what the reply is and best of luck.

Edit: May be a useful starting point for contacting them: CAA Website

My understanding is that sadly it's not coming only from the CAA or the DGAC in france... but more from EUROCONTROL since these rules are the same everywhere in the EU.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have indeed been a LOT of time in the flightdeck as well during both take off and landing. And i insist on what i said, i am a private pilot myself + have lots of friends pilot for BA, AF, AA, and have experienced take off and landings in various planes from each of these companies in the flightdeck.

All of my pilot friends in these airlines don't even shutdown their own mobile phone during takeoff/landing... I even recall a LHR-CDG flight on BA, where the captain picked up a phone call while they were on final approach...

I hate to say this, but the crackup you heard on the radio transmission between the flightdeck and ATC was probably not coming from the mobile phone of the gentleman behind, but could come from anything. In aeronautics we are using VHF/UHF... which can be impacted by almost anything electomagnetic. Even a lightning, you will hear a crack in the radio...
You can insist as much as you want, but the rules are still there and are applicable to everyone, not just those who choose to abide by them.

And do you not think that as a pilot yourself, irrespective of your belief as to whether something is a genuine reason or not, you would be more inclined to comply with the rules. Do you come across something you do not like when you are flying and just ignore that too because you do not think that it should be so? If that is the case, please also contact whichever authority issues your license and have them take it away from your forthwith...
Old Jun 15, 2010, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My understanding is that sadly it's not coming only from the CAA or the DGAC in france... but more from EUROCONTROL since these rules are the same everywhere in the EU.
Well, a bit more googling for web site contact details required to start your one man crusade to get the rules changed then... best set aside some time, I have a feeling it may take a while to do this alone.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
You can insist as much as you want, but the rules are still there and are applicable to everyone, not just those who choose to abide by them.

And do you not think that as a pilot yourself, irrespective of your belief as to whether something is a genuine reason or not, you would be more inclined to comply with the rules. Do you come across something you do not like when you are flying and just ignore that too because you do not think that it should be so? If that is the case, please also contact whichever authority issues your license and have them take it away from your forthwith...
Did you ever see me mention that i don't follow the rules ? I just stated i consider them useless and from another age.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.