AA award stopover rule?

Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
Just finished my booking for 25K + $37.70 and 52 minutes.

EWR-DFW (stop-over) DFW-NRT

The phone agent couldn't see the availability EWR-DFW at all, so I gave her AA flight number, which did the trick.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by nydad
Just finished my booking for 25K + $37.70 and 52 minutes.

EWR-DFW (stop-over) DFW-NRT

The phone agent couldn't see the availability EWR-DFW at all, so I gave her AA flight number, which did the trick.
52 minutes!! What on earth were you talking about for that long?!

Glad to hear you got the flights you wanted after all that though.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by where2travel
52 minutes!! What on earth were you talking about for that long?!
As a start, I had to tell the agent that AA does indeed fly from DFW to NRT; she insisted that only CX and JL fly to Tokyo. I also had to tell her that BA does allow stopovers if those stopover points are on the most direct routing. To make the matters worse, the agent couldn't finish the ticketing automatically and had to wait for the ticketing department to finish it manually. I am glad that it's finally over.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:22 am

How long is a stopover allowed to be? I know on AA it can be indefinite (as long as travel is completed by 1 year from date of ticket issue) and have ben told on BA it is max 3 days. Is that info from BA correct?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Tumbleweed666
Better to ask on the AAvantage forum but my understanding is yes, because DFW would be the international gateway in this case. AIUI there are two exceptions to no stopovers, and one is international gateway. Try this thread.
What is the second exception?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mserle
How long is a stopover allowed to be? I know on AA it can be indefinite (as long as travel is completed by 1 year from date of ticket issue) and have ben told on BA it is max 3 days. Is that info from BA correct?
My stopover is over a week.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:05 am

What is the official policy concering the number of stopovers? Are multiple stopovers allowed or does one have to play call center roulette? If I book something like SFO-USH, can I go SFO-LIM-EZE-AEP-FTE-USH with a stop in both EZE and FTE (the AEP-USH flight often goes through FTE)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.