Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Codeshare flights - which airline's checkin desk??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond

OK, so probably a silly question , but despite having flown hundreds of sectors totalling more than a million miles in the last 8 years, I have never had a codeshare flight. However in a few weeks I'll be bumbling down to SYD on the QF A380 but on a BA issued ticket as BA7372. So, can I check in (I'm assuming BA MMB will not work for this) and dump bags at the BA desks, the QF desks or either?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:00 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Operating carrier - so in this case QF.

Last edited by FlyerTalker6245; Jun 2, 2010 at 2:46 am
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:06 am
Company Representative - British Airways

Hi,

ba.com MMB will work for your BA issued ticket.

Kind regards,

Dilly
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Always operating carrier.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:00 am
Original Poster

OK, many thanks to all for the quick replies looks like MMB checkin then the QF desks for bags & BP
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by r22r44bell47
OK, many thanks to all for the quick replies looks like MMB checkin then the QF desks for bags & BP
Don't forget: QF's baggage policies apply.

BD
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by BD1959
Don't forget: QF's baggage policies apply.

BD
Which is substantially less than BA's, so watch out - and you will be charged for every kg over too (you will not get away with being 1kg over without paying excess baggage charge - about AUD 50 / kg for LHR-SYD).
Old Jun 3, 2010, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC
I have the reverse situation coming up shortly: flying LHR-SYD on BA metal but a QF flight number. So presumably I will check in with BA at LHR. Will I get the (more generous) BA luggage allowance? And, if so, does that allowance follow through onto the QF domestic connection I have from SYD (which is on the same ticket)?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by ba.com helper
ba.com MMB will work for your BA issued ticket.
If you're lucky.
Last time I was on a codeshare it was an BA ticket and IB operated: I couldn't check in on ba.com (even though I'd been able to do advance seat selection there) but I could on the Iberia site.

But in terms of desks, as per the OP, always the operating carrier like Swanhunter says.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Which is substantially less than BA's, so watch out - and you will be charged for every kg over too (you will not get away with being 1kg over without paying excess baggage charge - about AUD 50 / kg for LHR-SYD).
Good point - though I rather doubt I'll blow 30kg for a one week business trip! Now if it was a diving holiday, that would be more worrysome and some of the hand luggage would be suspect too
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
If you're lucky.
Last time I was on a codeshare it was an BA ticket and IB operated: I couldn't check in on ba.com (even though I'd been able to do advance seat selection there) but I could on the Iberia site.

But in terms of desks, as per the OP, always the operating carrier like Swanhunter says.
Ah, again the reverse. Was able to shift seats happily on the QF flight via the Qantas MMB tool (several times, and still not decided where to sit), but had to 'phone the good folks at BAEC as their computers were playing silly buggers. However, the very nice man in Newcastle popped me into 64K so all was well
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Maybe someone can refresh my memory here. Before OneWorld in the early 90ties, I remember BA codesharing with SK ARN-LHR.

It was very silly, if I bought the ticket with BA. I would check in at T2 and then bussed to T5 to board the SK flight. SK pax checked in at T5.

On one occasion I decided to skip the T2 check in and went directly to T5. It was a mess as the check in agent told me I had a BA ticket and should check in at T2. After some discussions they allowed me to check in and board the plane at T5.

Those were the days But today it's easier, always check in at the operating carriers desks.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Lobengula
Maybe someone can refresh my memory here. Before OneWorld in the early 90ties, I remember BA codesharing with SK ARN-LHR.

It was very silly, if I bought the ticket with BA. I would check in at T2 and then bussed to T5 to board the SK flight. SK pax checked in at T5.

On one occasion I decided to skip the T2 check in and went directly to T5. It was a mess as the check in agent told me I had a BA ticket and should check in at T2. After some discussions they allowed me to check in and board the plane at T5.

Those were the days But today it's easier, always check in at the operating carriers desks.
SK from T5?

Dave
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by thadocta
SK from T5?

Dave
Yes, they do depart from T5 at Stockholm (ARN)

Sorry for the confusion
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:30 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Sorry, I was thinking LHR.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.