Search

OT - Dixons Tax Free Price for iPad

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by David-A
Not if you buy it at that price when travelling on a domestic flight!
... or an EU flight. Any EU flight forces Dixons to pay the VAT so you can bring it back without any worries.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
OK you're all going to think I'm even more stupid than most of you already think, but I'm afraid I don't really know what the iPad does.

Is it a computer or is it something to watch movies on and read books. Why, when Apple already have the Macs, would they bring out another computer. I'm sorry but I really don't know what it does.
If you have seen an iPod touch, it is exactly like a big version of those. You can watch movies, listen to music, read books, browse the web and get email, amongst other things.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:54 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Greg66
Haven't found that to be the case (with a wifi only ipad). Is it something reported just by 3G+wifi ipad owners, or wifi only ipad owners as well?
I love my iPad, but agree on the WiFi. I was in a hotel last week - the WiFi was adequate (just) for my Dell laptop () but often not for the iPad. But with a signal.......it truly is "les testicles".
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Raffles
... or an EU flight. Any EU flight forces Dixons to pay the VAT so you can bring it back without any worries.
Indeed, well, anything within the EU Common Customs and VAT area.

Was just trying to point out was available to all, including people on the simplest of flights.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:58 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
OK you're all going to think I'm even more stupid than most of you already think, but I'm afraid I don't really know what the iPad does.

Is it a computer or is it something to watch movies on and read books. Why, when Apple already have the Macs, would they bring out another computer. I'm sorry but I really don't know what it does.
Had a go on one at the Apple Store in Regent Street this week. Very impressed with the look and feel of the product, build quality - just felt so well engineered. But I already have an I-phone and it simply seemed like a bigger version of that - but without the phone. In the Apple store the wi-fi connection was really, really fast. There was something quite nice about browsing, zooming / expanding etc just using fingertips rather than a mouse ^

Incidentally, I'm really quite disappointed with the I-phone, having had Nokia's for years. The phone features are really quite basic in comparison - and the battery life is hopeless in comparison to my old Nokia.

Apple are absolute masters in branding and marketing and creating a "must have one" attitude, particularly amongst the 10-40 year old age group. For that reason alone I-pad will succeed.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by BOH
Incidentally, I'm really quite disappointed with the I-phone, having had Nokia's for years. The phone features are really quite basic in comparison - and the battery life is hopeless in comparison to my old Nokia.
Interesting - I was thinking of switching my Nokia 8800 for an iPhone now they are on Vodafone (our corporate network), but my Nokia gives me 5 days of battery life, more if I turn it off at night, and so I don't need to carry any chargers on short trips. Somehow I don't see an iPhone going for 5 days without a charge ....

I've also got quite used to web browsing on the tiny Nokia screen using Opera, even FT, although posting is not easy!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
I had a go on an iPad in the Apple Store in Glasgow.

It is really just a big iPod Touch - but it is SO SEXY.

We already have a Touch in the house and I have an iPhone so really couldn't justify buying one - but it was so so so so so so so tempting because they really just are so damn sexy.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:00 am
BOH

Originally Posted by edi-traveller
It is really just a big iPod Touch - but it is SO SEXY.
Yep, thats how I would describe it. Just feels such quality.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:21 am

Programs: BA
Interesting - I was thinking of switching my Nokia 8800 for an iPhone now they are on Vodafone (our corporate network), but my Nokia gives me 5 days of battery life, more if I turn it off at night, and so I don't need to carry any chargers on short trips. Somehow I don't see an iPhone going for 5 days without a charge ....

I've also got quite used to web browsing on the tiny Nokia screen using Opera, even FT, although posting is not easy!
I've had the original iPhone and the 3G model. In both cases I would listen to music for about two hours each day and email extensively. I had to carry a charger around with me and it would get plugged in at least once during the day.

In the end, I gave up, bought a Blackberry 9700 and an iPod mini.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:21 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.

We went from Nokia E71 to iPhones and I regret it. The Nokia is a great phone way better than the iPhone. Email is OK on both. Web surfing is great on the iPhone and that is a problem as I alays use it so ruin the battery life with that and games.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
And if flying within the EU remember to ask for a VAT receipt if VAT registered so you can claim the VAT back.

Talking of which if anyone is flying in to MAN or EDI over the next week that would like some BA Amex spend then I am after 2 Nikon D90 kits but not flying for a few weeks. Can meet at airport with cash or Bank Transfer it!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:02 am
BOH

I think I could sum it up by saying that if you want an I-pod touch with a simple built in phone for occasional calls and texts then the I-phone is good. Loads of apps - many very, very useful.

But if your main priority is for a good phone - and the apps and games side would be for occasional use then go for the good phone as the priority, not the I-phone. Strangely the battery on the I-phone is built in and sealed and therefore NOT changeable by the user. This is a double blow as at least a poor battery life could be somewhat mitigated by being able to carry and quickly change to a second battery.

A strange move by Apple, a compnay that generally seems to have made its way by innovation and easy-to-use features. Oh and that amazing marketing hype of course
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I struggle to get a day out of my iPhone in the UK - and I make or receive very few calls. However, when I'm working in the US, I turn off 3G, and I get about 3 days.

I'll be buying a new one soon though when the next version is out - it's fantastic! Having Skype installed saves me a fortune when I'm abroad.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
It's a bit OT, but.....as someone who has a Nokia E71, a HTC Desire and an iPhone (along with access to a BB 9700) my rating would be the following

1) iPhone - Call quality is great, the operation of the phone, internet, e-mails and apps is so slick and user friendly.
2) BB 9700 - Nothing beats the e-mail functionality on this phone. The battery life is pretty good too. Not as user friendly as the iPhone but overall a better choice for Business, I would say.
3) E71 - Small and fiddly keyboard, poor-e-mail but decent web browser and great battery life. Very capable, overall.
4) HTC Desire. Appalling battery life (as per Android in general). Stand-by is in the region of hours - even with an app killer. Poor quality speaker and mic make call quality disappointing. It has a lovely display, but it is inaccurate, webpages do render up beautifully and quickly, but that is not enough.

All of the best phones offer something, Nokia is king of power management, BB is great for the business user, where an outstanding key-board and e-mail are most important. iPhone wins for overall ease of use, reliability and stability. There is a school of thought that people who are serious about software should make their own hardware (and v.v.) Nokia, Apple and RIM do. It shows in the products they ship.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:32 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
I've had three iPhones (2G, 3G and 3GS) and the battery life has always been mediocre compared to a good alternative phone. But IMHO that's just because you spend so much time using the iPhone for other stuff (browsing, as well as various apps) that of course the battery will run down.

If you turn off 3G, data roaming and wifi, and only use it for phone calls (so the screen is rarely on), it lasts for days on one charge; I've tried that when abroad and trying to save money. But that isn't why you have an iPhone, is it?

Actually the thing that irritates me most is the apparent need for a higher signal strength than other phones. I have a Blackberry as well, and if I'm in a very weak signal area, I often find the Blackberry gets a signal whereas the iPhone doesn't. And at least on the earlier versions the microphone isn't as good, i.e. the person you're talking to doesn't hear you as well as he might if you were using a phone-only-type phone. Seems to be less of an issue with the 3GS, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.