Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: New Virgin Atlantic Upper Class due 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...t-year-for-vir

^
Old May 25, 2010, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
•Speaking of the effect of the BA strikes on Virgin, Sir Richard said that all cabins had seen an increase in demand since the strikes began, with Upper Class seeing a 10 per cent increase. “We are picking up British Airways customers and once they have tried the Virgin product they tend to stay with us. It is clear that the strike is doing the company long term damage as well as short term”. Nevertheless, Sir Richard said it was sad to see “BA tearing itself apart.”
Old May 25, 2010, 5:56 am

Programs: Mixed Fleet CSM
How???

I just can't see how the "hard" product in VS J could be improved??

I have heard that (as VS licensed NZ the Upper Class Suite) VS will be getting NZs new PE!

That would be a shame for BA!

EEEK
Old May 25, 2010, 6:00 am

Programs: BA gold
In summary, 2% of the content was about a proposed secret new innovation in x time, 1% about operations (airports/slots). The remaining 97% is him whinging all about VS' chief competitor to try and make people feel sorry for VS...

What's new?
Old May 25, 2010, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Stez
In summary, 2% of the content was about a proposed secret new innovation in x time, 1% about operations (airports/slots). The remaining 97% is him whinging all about VS' chief competitor to try and make people feel sorry for VS...

What's new?
Shame the interviewer didn't try to squeeze out 3% of the interview to discussing his apparent volte face over '4 engines 4 longhaul'. Is it me, or does SRB seem to get a very easy ride from the media?
Old May 25, 2010, 6:12 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
It has been suggested elsewhere that some of the A330s may be W and Y only, presumably those on leisure routes where VS get good volumes from Virgin Holidays.

On LHR slots ISTR they did a five year deal with United in 2005 to lease slots and I presume these are now going back to UA.

As for the comments on the strike, well he would say that wouldn't he (though I don't doubt they've picked up a lot of traffic because of it)? As for bmi he's been suggesting a deal for years and nothing has come of it yet. In Q1 bmi lost €45m on a turnover of €196m so whoever buys it has a lot of work to do.
Old May 25, 2010, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by B.S.E.A
I just can't see how the "hard" product in VS J could be improved??

I have heard that (as VS licensed NZ the Upper Class Suite) VS will be getting NZs new PE!

That would be a shame for BA!

EEEK
I think the staggered J cabins such as EY, AN and LX have look markedly better than the VS herringbone version. CX appear to be ditching it (although I understand that there seat is noticeably narrower than that found on VS) in favour of the inverted herringbone US style seat.
Old May 25, 2010, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
Originally Posted by Skimo
Shame the interviewer didn't try to squeeze out 3% of the interview to discussing his apparent volte face over '4 engines 4 longhaul'. Is it me, or does SRB seem to get a very easy ride from the media?
He didn't on Watchdog a few years ago just after Virgin Trains had started up...

But they are few and far between...
Old May 25, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Scrummed it in prem econ on VS yesterday (temporarily dodging BA's strike-ridden service which has let me down repeatedly thanks to blindly dogmatic unions) and for the first time saw the VS upper class product. I was seriously unimpressed and relieved I'd not parted with my cash to use it. It looks cramped and lacks exclusivity (on an airbus A340 at least). BA still get my vote for now.
Old May 25, 2010, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
Rumers

I heared from one ISM on CX from LAX to HKG that MR. Richard Branson is trying to sue other airlines who adopted fish bone Business class seats for breach of content right. That is why CX is trying to get new business class seats rather than ressure from passengers. May be a rumer but it may be true.
Old May 25, 2010, 7:58 am

His name is SIR Richard Branson. Whether or not you agree with his title is not relevant. It is his name.
Old May 25, 2010, 8:12 am

I'd never fly Upper Class - simply because I hate the name - it's so.... new money. It sounds so tacky.
Old May 25, 2010, 8:28 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by IC6A
I heared from one ISM on CX from LAX to HKG that MR. Richard Branson is trying to sue other airlines who adopted fish bone Business class seats for breach of content right. That is why CX is trying to get new business class seats rather than ressure from passengers. May be a rumer but it may be true.
VS already sued the CX seat makers, but the court threw out the claims.
Old May 25, 2010, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by IC6A
That's really quite old news, and so far as I can recall, they've been unsuccessful.

http://www.jenkins.eu/df-autumn-2009...gn-trouble.asp
Old May 25, 2010, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by jghill
I'd never fly Upper Class - simply because I hate the name - it's so.... new money. It sounds so tacky.
Um... it's meant as ironic. It's supposed to be funny. I think it is... to most people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.