Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need to kill a day at O'Hare

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2010, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Need to kill a day at O'Hare

My wife and I will be flying BA from ORD to LHR. Our departure is at 5:20pm, and long story short, we'll actually arrive at ORD at around 9 that morning. Ugh. I've explored several different options, but there's no way to avoid it.

Are there lockers available in Terminal 5? Perhaps we can escape O'Hare for a long lunch...

Appreciate any ideas or suggestions anyone can offer!
Old May 20, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Which airline are you arriving on and are your bags being checked through to LHR?

T5 is somewhere you want to spend as little time as possible as there is absolutely nothing to do.

If you don't have bags, I'd jump on the CTA and head into town for lunch.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:35 am

Programs: BA, AMEX PP
Originally Posted by PracticalHacks
Our departure is at 5:20pm, and long story short, we'll actually arrive at ORD at around 9 that morning.
Done that.

There is no left luggage at ORD. I checked my bags through from my flight into ORD. You will need to give your BA booking reference to whoever you are flying into ORD with and they should be able to check them through.

I took the Blue Line downtown and visited the Chicago Science Museum. That may not be your thing, but there is plenty to do in Chicago. Allow 1 hour each way to travel downtown.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Cluster One
Done that.

There is no left luggage at ORD. I checked my bags through from my flight into ORD. You will need to give your BA booking reference to whoever you are flying into ORD with and they should be able to check them through.

I took the Blue Line downtown and visited the Chicago Science Museum. That may not be your thing, but there is plenty to do in Chicago. Allow 1 hour each way to travel downtown.
If you checking bags through, its worth checking at the BA desk around checkin time that the bag labels (bar codes you were given when you initial checked the bags in) are tied to your booking.
Old May 20, 2010, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E71-2: Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/448; U; en-US) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

I haven't tried this technique, however, some people have reported success with checking bags at the O'Hare Hilton bell desk, and then going into the center city on the CTA. You would need to provide a gratuity to the bell person for this service.

One advantage is that you walk right past the Hilton entrance on the way to the CTA station.

The Chicago forum has more details on this option.
Old May 20, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I've done this too. The best thing is to get them to check your bags all the way through to London and then jump on the train to Chicago - which is a fab city.

I like the Oriental and Art Institutes but if you don't fancy museums there is so much to do/see/eat (ahem).
Old May 20, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
I'll also vouch for ditch the bags and explore the city. Just aim for the John Hancock building, grab lunch, and stroll Michigan Avenue. You'll stretch your legs and get a great 'feel' for the city. Sounds like a great idea, actually!
Old May 20, 2010, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions. We are only doing carry-on, so checking the bags through isn't an option. We're actually staying at the O'Hare Hilton on our way back home and I'm a HH Gold member, so that sounds like our best option. Thanks again!!
Old May 20, 2010, 3:00 pm

A great city even for a short visit. ^
The future booking at the Hilton (take your confirmation) and a tip should facilitate leaving bags with the Concierge.
Old May 20, 2010, 6:33 pm

If you dont feel like going into the city, there is a luxury movie theatre about 10 min by cab from the airport. Do a google search for it if you are interested as i dont remember the name.

There is also a nice fish restaurant (McCormack & Schicks, I think?) at the Intercontinental hotel, near O'Hare.

Id recommend heading to the city if you have the time / energy but there are other options near the airport...
Old May 20, 2010, 6:41 pm

There's a very nice french-vietnamese restaurant just off the north end of Michigan Av called Le Colonial - that's where we went last time we had a day to pass in Chicago. Also the public zoo just north of there is a surprisingly good example and free too - nice for a couple of hours ambling if shopping doesn't excite you.
Old May 21, 2010, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I recommend the Chicago Chop House on W Ontario St, downtown.

They open at about 11.30 so you could go for a walk by the lake and go to the top of the John Hancock Centre first. Chicago is an extremely pleasant city to walk around.

It is not cheap but not too pricy either and the food is outstanding. Don't miss the white chocolate ice cream for dessert if they are still offering that.
Old May 21, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Agree with others, do the blue line. Have lunch or ride the El. Sounds like you're sorted.
Old May 21, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
You might want to hit http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chica...me-thread.html - its a very good discussion thread when one is stuck at the Bunny and wants to get out of it....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.