Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How to get JNU as a stop-over point in a roundtrip SFO-BRW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2010, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;

I am trying to use British Airways miles to book a roundtrip from SFO-BRW with the goal of making a few stop-overs in JNU, FAI, ANC and of course, BRW as the destination.

BA agent said that I cannot have JNU as a stop over point as there are non-stop flights of SEA-FAI or SEA-ANC, which make SEA-JNU-ANC not a valid routing.

Any suggestions on getting JNU into the routing?

For a first time visitor to Alaska, how many days should I plan on for these stops?

Thanks.
Old May 20, 2010, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by geclub1
I am trying to use British Airways miles to book a roundtrip from SFO-BRW with the goal of making a few stop-overs in JNU, FAI, ANC and of course, BRW as the destination.

BA agent said that I cannot have JNU as a stop over point as there are non-stop flights of SEA-FAI or SEA-ANC, which make SEA-JNU-ANC not a valid routing.

Any suggestions on getting JNU into the routing?

For a first time visitor to Alaska, how many days should I plan on for these stops?

Thanks.
On an AS round-trip award paid with AS miles, you are allowed one stopover. In this case, you should be able to choose JNU or FAI or ANC, but not all three. The actual routings should not matter (you could theoretically fly ten segments between each city pair if it were given as an option on the website, though you'll almost never see more than two or three), only the actual stopover point and destination.

However, the rules could very well be different for awards booked by BA.

A stopover would also, IIRC, be defined as any layover of more than four hours, so if routing through JNU causes you to sit in ANC or FAI for more than four hours, this may be affecting you, but I am not 100% sure of that.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will come along shortly.
Old May 20, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Originally Posted by jackal
A stopover would also, IIRC, be defined as any layover of more than four hours, so if routing through JNU causes you to sit in ANC or FAI for more than four hours, this may be affecting you, but I am not 100% sure of that.
That shouldn't be an issue since BA allows multiple stopovers.

I'm doing HBA-SYD(stopover)-AKL(stopover)-LAX even though there are SYD-LAX nonstops so I really don't know what the issue is.

How many agents have you asked?

This might be a better question for the BA forum.
Old May 20, 2010, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by PhilC
That shouldn't be an issue since BA allows multiple stopovers.

I'm doing HBA-SYD(stopover)-AKL(stopover)-LAX even though there are SYD-LAX nonstops so I really don't know what the issue is.

How many agents have you asked?

This might be a better question for the BA forum.
I only talked to one. Will try calling back then.

Thanks!
Old May 20, 2010, 3:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by geclub1
I only talked to one. Will try calling back then.

Thanks!
I agree with a previous poster that this is more of a question for the BA forum. Each airline has its own rules when it comes to redeeming awards on partner airlines. When you book this trip, BA will pay some amount of money to AS so BA gets to make the rules on what they will or will not allow.

I've booked a couple of awards on AS flights - once through NW and once through AA. I can tell you that they had vastly different rules on what could be done. In short, AA was much more liberal than NW. Booking via AA, for example, allowed the option of doing "last in first out" while NW didn't allow this. AA also allowed one stopover (now they don't sicne their awards are on a one way basis) while NW didn't. AA also allowed you to mix airlines (in other words, use AA for part of the trip and AS for the other) while with NW, the whoel trip had to be on one airline.
Old May 20, 2010, 7:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
We're going to move this to the British Airways forum as per the above suggestions.

Cholula
Alaska Mileage Plan Co-Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.