Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Master thread - strike discussion [24 May to 09 June planned strike]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2010, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As the old thread has nearly reached 4000 posts - and more action seems likely - we have kicked off a new discussion relating to BASSA industrial action, impact on BA, likely dates and other aspects of the dispute.

The old thread can be found here for reference

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...iscussion.html

Which flights operated during the previous strike period

In the second wave of strikes (the best indication of what might happen this time) a full service was operated by:

* Cityflyer (LCY short haul ops)
* Gatwick (including CWLCY to JFK on the A318)

A substantial proportion of the following operated (some using volunteer crew, with wetleased planes also working shorthaul)

* Heathrow longhaul
* Heathrow shorthaul

Last edited by Swanhunter; May 10, 2010 at 3:58 am
Old May 8, 2010, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Situation as of 20 May 2010

On appeal BASSA has won the right to continue industrial action. As a result the second, third and fourth strikes will happen as originally announced.

Situation as of 17 May 2010

British Airways has won a High Court injunction to stop the latest strikes by its cabin staff. The decision was based on a technicality and whether Unite followed rules in contacting its members with strike result details.

Unite has since announced it has called off the four planned 5 day periods of industrial action.

Situation as of 10 May 2010

BASSA/UNITE announced it intends to take industrial action during May and June, in blocks of five days punctuated by a single non-strike day, as follows:

This calendar will be updated periodically as the situation develops

Last edited by Prospero; May 21, 2010 at 1:18 am Reason: May 20 announcement
Old May 8, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: Mixed Fleet CSM
Apology

As non-union LHR crew I can only despair at the latest development. Looks like Monday will be the day for announcing more strike dates.

I apologise to all our loyal passengers for upcoming uncertainty and disruption.

Can I ask that you remember not all crew are militant lemmings. Please don't tar us all with the same brush in your dealings with us.

Ta
Old May 8, 2010, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I think those on FT and PPRuNe realise that it's a minority of genuine troublemakers, and have both sympathy and understanding about how you/we got here.

However, you will not [I regret] necessarily get the same reaction from the general public - although I earnestly hope you will, seeing as how you'll be the ones helping to get us to our destinations.

I'll be smiling at the CC on 18/19 May.
Old May 8, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Sigh. Wish they [BASSA] would get over it. In the mean time, have triple-checked my travel insurance.
Old May 8, 2010, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC
I've been guilty of being somewhat apathetic over this as it didn't directly effect me earlier in the year but I'm starting to get a bit concerned now. This is really dragging on.
Old May 8, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: CX Gold
I am about to fly right after the first possible strike (I'll be nicely positioned in the middle of my trip, neither at home not my folk's close to where I'll be) so I hope that all will be well, but tbh slightly worried about the trips I have going back (in total, I have 4 flights coming up from Sat onwards).

I hope that all those who aren't militant still show up for work. I think rest of what I'd love to say has been covered a dozen times already. I hope that there will not be massive disruption, and where possible, services kept as normal levels (ie I hope enough crew turn up).

Good luck to all.
Old May 8, 2010, 9:40 am

I also have an upcoming trip that i'm worried about but I know there are a lot of very, very good people working at BA.
Sadly, all I see 20 days of strikes doing is tipping the airline closer and closer to the edge and leaving a lot of employees with no jobs. Bassa don't seem to understand this, but BA is in a very bad way at the moment, and just like Lehman Brothers showed us, events happen very quickly.

Sad that the unions have this power and the Labour government has done nothing to try to diffuse the situation given their influence with the unions.
Old May 8, 2010, 9:52 am

From the previous thread, I am merely a passenger and do not work in the aviation industry, so could someone please explain why my LGW-CTA flight on 17th May would not be cancelled in the event of a strike when it was in March according to the BA website. Is it a different union this time? I do not want to read through the previous 4000 posts to try and work this out, sorry.
This flight was booked a long time ago and yes I do wish I had booked with another airline, the choice for direct flights to Catania though is very limited. I cannot get a refund unless a strike is called as my ticket is not flexible. I would like to know/understand as I have to give my hotel 7 days notice of cancellation ie on Monday.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by B.S.E.A
As non-union LHR crew I can only despair at the latest development. Looks like Monday will be the day for announcing more strike dates.

I apologise to all our loyal passengers for upcoming uncertainty and disruption.

Can I ask that you remember not all crew are militant lemmings. Please don't tar us all with the same brush in your dealings with us.

Ta
Having operated as Vol Cabin Crew, I have had the pleasure of working with cabin crew during the previous strikes that are of the same opinion as BSEA. They have been very supportive and made me proud to work for BA.

There are a lot of us within BA, not only VCC, who will be working their backsides off, to ensure we keep as much as the schedule running as possible.

Old May 8, 2010, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the LGW-CTA was dropped from the schedules last time, there's certainly a possibility it will happen again.

Last time, both my sectors flew through the strikes [but not through the ash!]. I'm probably in a better position than you. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by londonclubguy
Sad that the unions have this power and the Labour government has done nothing to try to diffuse the situation given their influence with the unions.
It would appear that LAbour have indeed influenced the situation - no union announcements during the runup to the election. The moment it's over - here we go.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by weirdfish
I've been guilty of being somewhat apathetic over this as it didn't directly effect me earlier in the year but I'm starting to get a bit concerned now. This is really dragging on.
Yes I'm thankful we had our RTW last year. It would have been awful to have had it booked for this June and to have all the uncertainty hanging over it.

It does seem to be dragging on a bit and all the time getting closer to the summer holiday season.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by WhyteIG
It would appear that LAbour have indeed influenced the situation - no union announcements during the runup to the election. The moment it's over - here we go.
Bassa/Unite meeting on Monday.

However I would not expect strike dates to be announced until we have sorted out who is governing the country.

Bassa/Unite will want to ensure that any strike is front page news.

I could be wrong though

Old May 8, 2010, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Speedbird218
Bassa/Unite meeting on Monday.
However I would not expect strike dates to be announced until we have sorted out who is governing the country.
Bassa/Unite will want to ensure that any strike is front page news.
I could be wrong though

Waiting to decide who to blackmail next, since Mr Brown wasn't very interested in supporting them?

Given the weak/non-existent case, I suspect even George Galloway would have been pressed to support them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.