Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:40 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
Apparently this has affected "a huge number of customers" and the card has caused nothing but trouble since the outset as it was probably "rushed out too quickly" (referring to the incorrect set up of cards).
I always get told they aren't aware of any other issues and how no one else has complained about missing points.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA gold
Can confirm that previously was able to get bonus points and now I don't at the same store, using the exact same check-out, on the same day of the week. So that eliminates the theory that different tills, stores may have different set-ups

Probably a different employee, but that shouldn't add peculiarities to the billing system

Sent off a secure message to Amex. It seems they need to be chased up for just about everything now for the Gold card. Comparatively, the BA card have been completely glitch-free including bonus miles sign-up.

Come on Amex, this product was launched six months ago, get it sorted.

Last edited by Stez; Oct 13, 2010 at 1:06 pm Reason: dictionary didn't know how to spell - now made redundant
Old Oct 13, 2010, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Stez
Can confirm that previously was able to get bonus points and now I don't at the same store, using the exact same check-out, on the same day of the week. So that eliminates the theory that different tills, stores may have different set-ups

Probably a different employee, but that shouldn't add peculiarities to the billing system

Sent off a secure message to Amex. It seems they need to be chased up for just about everything now for the Gold card. Comparatively, the BA card have been completely glitch-free including bonus miles sign-up.

Come on Amex, this product was launched six months ago, get it sorted.
Almost 3 weeks now and i have not received any double points. Use the card almost only at 'bonus point' eligible merchants on a daily basis. Fired off a call/secure message over a week ago and nothing has come of yet sadly.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Stez
No, it does not.

There is a new, far more profound fundamental problem, the bonus points seem to have been (largely) turned off in the system.

However, the same underlying problem of some transactions tacking and other not, will remain - even once they turn the bonus points back on system wide.

And that can certainly vary from checkout route to checkout route within the same store (self-service, fast checkout, normal till, customer services till, dedicated department tills, etc).
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:25 am

Programs: BA gold
David-A... I meant in the context that I had used the same till in the same store and therefore rule out the idea of different tills/stores etc for the transactions I made.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I had a call yesterday from Amex Customer Relations. I don't specifically recall doing it but it was prompted by an online survey I completed a month or so ago. The poor woman made the mistake of asking me to enlarge upon my comments!

The call turned into a 20 minute conversation about the problems I had been experiencing. I took the opportunity to outline a few quotes off this thread (She asked me to identify the site but I told her it wasn't for me to do that without the permission of the posters - which she fully accepted). Anyway, she did appear to be genuinely concerned (and was very apologetic) about my feedback and assured me that she would look into it immediately and bring it to the attention of people who could do something about it.

I'm not for a second suggesting my comments will suddenly end the fiasco but maybe they're starting to listen.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Finally...

finally got paid by quidco today for the gold amex card i took out WAY back in may.

only took about 20 emails to get them to recognise the transaction, then it got rejected by amex blah blah blah

overall i wish i hadnt bothered but in the end it all came good with 20k points for £35.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Well, here is a new one. I've just had a foreign transaction fail to double up. This is odd, because foreign transactions were continuing to double OK even when the supermarkets stopped working.

Based on the last 7 days ... foreign no, supermarkets no, travel still (for now) yes.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:51 pm
uk1
Suspended

Whatever happened to American Express?
Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:14 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
After no reply to 2 Secure Message messages this week I called Amex Customer Service.

The customer service rep tried to tell me that my first year with the Preferred Rewards Gold Card was now up, having been taken out in October 2009, and that I was no longer entitled to double points on Supermarket and Fuel spend.

When I remained adamant that the Preferred Rewards Gold Card hadn't existed in the UK before March/April this year it got referred to the MR back office.

Given the lack of reply from the usually good SMC, I'm not hopeful about a reply from this call either
Old Oct 17, 2010, 4:39 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Now here's a new one...

(at least, I've not read through the whole thread, so perhaps it's not...)

I finally got around to signing up for the Amex Gold a week or two ago. Despite the website promising an instant decision, it decided not to decide instantly, and told me I'd get something in the post within 10 working days. Next thing I heard was my PIN turning up on Friday, and the card arriving yesterday.

I've just activated the card, and attached it to my online account. I already hold a couple of Amex cards - one of which is a supplementary card on my dad's Platinum account. And it appears that my new Gold card has somehow attached it to my dad's Membership Rewards account too: under the Gold Card, it says 'your current Membership Rewards points balance is: Please view your points balance under Card XXX' (then the last three digits of a card which is presumably my dad's)

If I click through to see the current points balance, it's showing me both my parents' spending. Which is probably not very good for Data Protection reasons.

This'll be a fun one for them to disentangle.. I look forward to explaining it to the call centre!
Old Oct 17, 2010, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum
My supermarket and travel bonus MR points have both stopped posting although the overseas spend is still attracting double points. Sent a secure message 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing, in common with many other FTs. What a fiasco!

Last edited by fly_ba; Oct 17, 2010 at 5:19 am
Old Oct 17, 2010, 6:17 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by jbfield
Well I've given up...given up waiting that is.
I thought if I sat quitely the bonus points would eventually appear but it's been more than 2.5 months since triggering the spend and nothing has appeared.
Secure message sent...
After that secure message the bonus points appeared in my account after a few working days.^

I did have an outbound spend bonus for a foreign hotel recently; am I supposed to get the travel bonus on the overseas hotel bookings too?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by jbfield
; am I supposed to get the travel bonus on the overseas hotel bookings too?
No, unless they make a mistake
Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by fly_ba
My supermarket and travel bonus MR points have both stopped posting although the overseas spend is still attracting double points. Sent a secure message 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing, in common with many other FTs. What a fiasco!
Interesting. My supermarket bonus MR points dried up sometime between 19/9 and 24/9. However I am still getting travel bonus points (HI and East Mids trains last week).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.