Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:33 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Double points on a pre-paid hotel booking (not a chain one) on Expedia as well.

Last edited by NorthOrSouth; Jun 16, 2010 at 12:34 am Reason: Added pre-paid.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Update: AMEX are idiots

Originally Posted by blindman
Same here.

Wifes app accepted, 1st June Quidco tracked one day later.

She got the "ordinary Gold Card"

Also the quidco tracking has it for the"Platinum" card Still £60 cashback though

What a complete farce

BTW
Anyone notice the offer has been extended until the 5th July 2010
Update
Mrs BM rang AMEX twice to sort this wrong card issue: (Both CS reps were very unsure as to what they were doing\saying)

Was told that a new card would be issued and all points gained with the old one would be switched.

Afterwards immediately noticed the card number on-line had changed, old card still worked.

Got a new card yesterday with all the bumpf for "Preferred" rewards. Number matches on-line

Here's the daft bit (though quite good TBHO)

She has spent £300 since 9th June

On the 15th June she has been given 20K MR as "Gold Q2 2010 Acquisition Bonus" ^

As they say in USA "GO figure"

Haven't activated new card yet, (not sure if she has to) so don't know if it works of if points will accumulate.

Wonder if she will get 20K MR when she passes £500
Old Jun 16, 2010, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by botham
Now all you have to do is spend them!
Good news is that the family balance is now down to 1.4m miles across BA, BMI and LH. Bad news is that we have already booked everything we need until next Summer, so we could be back towards 2m by that point once the July and Jan tax bills are settled on the BMI Mastercard!
Old Jun 16, 2010, 3:05 am

Programs: OW Gold, Star Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
Realistically, I'm not sure its ever been easier to earn miles. I got 220k 'bonus' BA Miles from the Tesco double-up promo, there was the very cosy run of generous Tesco deals pre-Christmas, the Paypal card basically gets you 15k BA for £5 and the Amex Gold gets you 20k BA / 20k BMI etc for £35 - and that's before you benefit from the 2 miles per £1 on grocery, travel and foreign spend.
I though it used to be far easier to earn miles through Tesco points, or in other words just earn Tesco points!
There used to be far more Grocery codes and the ones that were available in the past year or so never seem to work for me.
The various extra points for phones/DVDs etc seem like a hell of a hassle to me and extremely time consuming.

In regards to earning 15k miles for a fiver with the PayPal top up card, how?
I haven’t done the whole PayPal top up card thing so far and reading through the various old threads and posts about it I'm still not entirely sure how to utilise it the best way, so anyway you can explain in simple words how one earns 15k miles for £5?

Is there a guide anywhere for using the PayPal top up card, or is it just various posts all over the place?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by waytogo
In regards to earning 15k miles for a fiver with the PayPal top up card, how?
£4.95 initial purchase fee for the card, then top up £10,000 over a year. £10,000 expenditure on the BA Premium Plus AmEx = 15,000 BA Miles. (Other cards with different figures may be available.) Then use the top up card as a Visa card. It often equates to a Visa Electron card.
Is there a guide anywhere for using the PayPal top up card, or is it just various posts all over the place?
No and yes. It seems to be mainly in this thread.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It is various posts all over the place. This is unofficially deliberate (not by the mods, I should stress) as Amex / RBS will close this down as soon as they realise what is happening (albeit it has carried on for a year so far) and the lower the profile the better.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by clubman
Booked a flight on ba.com with the new Gold card and got the following points:

BRITISH AIRWAYS INTERNET SALES £122.80

BASE POINTS: 122 / BONUS POINTS 244 / TOTAL = 366

Bonus breakdown is as follows:

Travel bonus - 122
Outbound spend bonus - 122
Another BA booking, once again starting out of the UK, only this time I received base points x 4! ^

I got the same "travel bonus" and "outbound spend" as before but in addition I got “Platinum Accelerator Bonus" as well.

Anyone know what that is?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:21 pm

This is odd.

Did an application back in late May, and not heard or received a thing from Amex yet.

Just got a purchase tracking confirmation from Quidco. ^
But for the American Express Platinum Card

Will wait and see if they give me a card, and which one! I suppose there is now a chance that they decline me and I still get the cashback!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:25 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I phoned Amex yesterday about the fact that I had not been awarded the bonus 20K or double MRs for the travel related spend to be told that mine was one of cards that had been set up properly on the system. I was assured it would be fixed within 2 weeks, but I could not get any details about how many cards were affected.

Just had an e-mail from Quidco asking why I had not made any spend since joining the scheme and it has an offer to get an Amex Gold card....Suppose I should phone them today.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:52 am
pb3

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Hmmm... I got double points for a small online purchase from the Apple Store

They seem to be making this up as they go along.

Should I treat myself to an Ipad? Should I? Should I?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Accommodation continues to confuse

I live in hope, ever optimistic. This via the Secure Message Centre:

adl73x:

Hello,

Despite numerous reassurances from the Amex MR call centre in Leeds, my Preferred Rewards Gold Card is still not receiving double membership reward points for hotel stays, although the Card T&Cs say these should be eligible for bonus points.

In recent weeks I have charged 2 stays at different Holiday Inn properties and 1 stay at a Crown Plaza hotel. Most of my accommodation spend is with IHG Resorts and Hotels which include Inter-Continental Hotels, Crown Plaza, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Hotel Indigo, Staybridge Suites, and Candlewood Suites. As a major international hotel chain, all of these should be receiving double points for each £ spent.

Amex:

Dear adl73x.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your Membership Reward points. I'm sorry to hear that you are not receiving the correct amount of points.

I will be happy to assist with your query today.

Please note that not all hotels are viable to give double Membership Reward points on spend.

To check which hotels are eligible, please check our website www.americanexpress.co.uk

Please accept my apologies on behalf of American Express® for any inconvenience caused.

Should you have any other queries for us about this or other matters please don’t hesitate to send us an e-mail or call our Customer Services Department 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on xxxxxxxx and we will be happy to be of assistance.

Kind Regards

adl73x:

Thank you, but that was not terribly helpful. I have previously been advised by the MR Call Centre that IHG hotels WERE eligible. Could you please provide the full URL link to the point on the Amex web site that that does spell out exactly which hotels are eligible?

Amex:

Dear adl73x,

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry for the continued dissatisfaction that has been caused. Unfortunately there is no list of establishments showing where this offer is applicable, either on our website or otherwise. I apologise that you were misinformed.

I have spoken at length today with the Membership Rewards™ Department and they have agreed to investigate further into this issue, with a view to adding the points that were expecting to be awarded for this hotel transaction.

Should you have any other queries for us about this or other matters please don’t hesitate to send us an email or call our Customer Services Department 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on xxxxxxxxx and we will be happy to be of assistance.
Kind Regards,
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: Some, not all.
For what it's worth two Holiday Inn bookings booked last week have posted with double points without any intervention from me.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold, Club Accorhotels Silver
Just messaged them again for some more missing bonus points (Novotel, Sofitel, Holiday Inn and Transport for London) and to remind them what they told me last time about the 20000 bonus points posting a month after I spent£500 (which is now nearly 2 months ago).
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: Some basic level ones
Well I'm a happy camper as my 20K points have now posted. Now I just need to check that this is the case for the OH and to wait for the Quidco to pay out...

Thanks, as always, to Raffles for the original post...
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:20 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
All missing travel bonus points from Hilton stays have posted after my third enquiry. The next target: the 20k bonus and Quidco cashback!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.