Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:26 am

Anybody know about the M&S convenience stores at Petrol Stations?

I spend silly money there, so would be good to know what card is best to use.

Currently i have 1 transaction from there showing with double points and another without
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:41 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Anybody know about the M&S convenience stores at Petrol Stations?

I spend silly money there, so would be good to know what card is best to use.

Currently i have 1 transaction from there showing with double points and another without
I have 3 M&S places attached to BP garages that I regularly use. Now my card has settled down I get 2x on everything I spend in them. Sometimes it appears on my statement differently depending if it was fuel or non fuel spend.

I believe it's because Amex see it as a fuel merchant that it qualifies for double rewards as stand alone M&S stores don't.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by weirdfish
I have 3 M&S places attached to BP garages that I regularly use. Now my card has settled down I get 2x on everything I spend in them. Sometimes it appears on my statement differently depending if it was fuel or non fuel spend.

I believe it's because Amex see it as a fuel merchant that it qualifies for double rewards as stand alone M&S stores don't.
Does it matter if fuel is included in your purchase or not. Yes its the M&S stores at BP stations that i also use.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Does it matter if fuel is included in your purchase or not. Yes its the M&S stores at BP stations that i also use.
It only seems to effect how it is displayed on the statement but not the rewards
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:59 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Well, my card number online has been incremented, so I presume a new card is on its way, and I'm now showing some "First year welcome bonus" points. However, it is a very arbitrary figure, less than half of what it should be, and I can't find any possible way of generating that number of points from the purchases I have made...
Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by raikje
Well, my card number online has been incremented, so I presume a new card is on its way, and I'm now showing some "First year welcome bonus" points. However, it is a very arbitrary figure, less than half of what it should be, and I can't find any possible way of generating that number of points from the purchases I have made...
If you click through from your Amex card page to the Membership Rewards page then you can get a full breakdown of the points total. You can clearly see which transactions have given you double points. It should also be obvious what the welcome bonus is (I don't know exactly how it's shown as I'm still waiting for mine).
Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by where2travel
If you click through from your Amex card page to the Membership Rewards page then you can get a full breakdown of the points total. You can clearly see which transactions have given you double points. It should also be obvious what the welcome bonus is (I don't know exactly how it's shown as I'm still waiting for mine).
Alas not as simple as that. The transactions are showing as base points only, and the bonus points (double points on travel, supermarket, etc) have posted as a single line item "First year welcome bonus". Having added up every combination of base points that I can think of, I can't see any sensible way to create that bonus point total... I'm still waiting on the 20k.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Alas not as simple as that. The transactions are showing as base points only, and the bonus points (double points on travel, supermarket, etc) have posted as a single line item "First year welcome bonus". Having added up every combination of base points that I can think of, I can't see any sensible way to create that bonus point total... I'm still waiting on the 20k.
Maybe your bonus points have been added retrospectively (in one go). For every transaction, mine shows the base points and bonus points separately so it's easier to keep tally (although it's still not quite right but close enough as I've only missed bonus points for a few small transactions).
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:02 am

It definitely appears to be retrospective adding of bonus points, but I am at a loss to figure out how they've come to the figure. As an illustration, I've got a pile of purchases in this sort of profile (just including those qualifying or possibly qualifying for double points):

200 + 100 + 50 + 30 + 10 + 10 + 5 + 5 + 5

And they've given me, for instance, 217 bonus points. I put them all in a spreadsheet and did some summing, and there seems to be no way to calculate the bonus point tally from the purchases made. And even if it did add up, in the example above I'm still 198 points short.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:46 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
But why no bonus points from the Hilton? Payment was made in CHF.
Received a reply to my latest query.

Dear NewbieRunner,

Thank you for your email regarding the bonus points that you are still expecting. I can certainly look into this for you

I am sorry that you are yet to receive the bonus points. I understand this must be frustrating and I apologise for the inconvenience this has caused.

I suspect that the bonus points have not been added automatically because the two merchants you have referenced are not listed as Supermarkets, but rather as general retail. Although I understand you have visited the merchants to purchase groceries. I have set up a case with our Back Office Team and I have asked them to investigate this for you. They will write to you, at the billing address we have on file, advising you of the outcome.

I do hope that this has resolved your enquiry. However, if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again via email or by calling our Customer Service Team on 01273 576576, who are available to assist you 24/7.
I know my local M&S also sells clothing and other non-grocery items but I never claimed I was visiting the Hilton Zurich Airport to purchase groceries!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: MUCCI
As an illustration, I've got a pile of purchases in this sort of profile (just including those qualifying or possibly qualifying for double points):

200 + 100 + 50 + 30 + 10 + 10 + 5 + 5 + 5

And they've given me, for instance, 217 bonus points. I put them all in a spreadsheet and did some summing, and there seems to be no way to calculate the bonus point tally from the purchases made. And even if it did add up, in the example above I'm still 198 points short.
I think MR points are always rounded down to the nearest pound, if that helps.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC, SAS EBS, Miles&More
Originally Posted by weirdfish
You must be a troll, the above is purely provocation and I suspect impossible
...and the card arrives less than 96 hours after application. Just hoping the spend and bonus goes as smoothly.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:48 am

Programs: F
Don't hold your breath.

I applied two weeks ago. I am a Plat Charge Card and BA Amex PP holder. My application was deferred. I phoned up to chase it 48 hours later and was told it had been approved and the card came a few days later. It is correctly gaining double points for travel and grocery spend (woo!). My Quidco has not tracked.

My wife applied about 5 days after me. She was approved immediately online (woo!) and the card came 3-4 days later (woo!). Quidco even tracked for her (woo!). But it has not earned double points on grocery spend and on phoning Amex it seems, even at this late stage in the offer, that she too has been sent an ordinary Gold card in error. Still in the throes of sorting this.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Well, my Quidco HAS now tracked (after a week) but no sign of a card or indeed any sign that they have decided to accept me after all!
Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:36 am

Programs: MUCCI
Like some others, I had two cards turn up (can't tell you when exactly they both arrived relative to each other). One card was attached to a piece of paper headed "The Gold Card". The second to a piece of paper headed "The Preferred Rewards Gold Card".
Both cards had different numbers but were otherwise identical.

The separate PIN advice letter, DD setup letter, and another letter all referred to the card number on the 'Gold' card, not the one on the 'Preferred Rewards Gold Card'.

Phoned up before activation to establish which card (by card number) I should be activating, was told the one that came on the "Preferred Rewards Gold Card" piece of paper. - And that the PIN etc would all work with that card, despite referencing the other one (which they did). Was asked to destroy the card that arrived on the 'Gold Card' piece of paper.

Now, I seem to be getting correctly the travel bonus, the supermarket bonus, and also the overseas bonus correctly (apart from odd things such as Holiday Inns not being classed as travel!)
However, compared to some others here, when I login my card account is called on screen "The Gold Card" (not "The Preferred Rewards Gold Card").

Not seen any sign of my 20k bonus MRs yet. Quidco didn't track, so put in a claim, which is currently pending.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.