Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Old May 26, 10, 3:19 am

Trains, Planes and....Argos

Two more for the Travel Bonus:

- South West Trains
- Air France .....A380 flights ^

No first year bonus at Argos
Old May 26, 10, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
A few more merchants added to the bonus MRs list.

Raffles - any chance of adding a mention of post #379 to your OP? I think we could put together a decent merchant list that would avoid the heartbreak and social ostracisaiton that results from earning single miles at BAA and Oyster.

-

I did ask Amex for a merchant list, but all I got was a stock response apologising for the 'technical problems' on my account (there aren't any) and promising to set up a case with the back office team (for what?). Doesn't bode if they can't read the 'king question... Incidentally, it also worries me that a 'back office case' might involve some sort of change or replacement to my (perfectly correct) card which results in Quidco being denied.

Last edited by mad_rich; May 26, 10 at 4:19 am
Old May 26, 10, 5:11 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Originally Posted by mad_rich View Post
avoid the heartbreak and social ostracisaiton that results from earning single miles at BAA and Oyster.
As a tip, try topping your Oyster up at a train station - eg I saw someone got double points on First Great Western, so topping your Oyster up at Ealing Broadway should get double points.
Old May 26, 10, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA IHG
One more for the bonus list - the Apple website.

My ipad order from the UK Apple website has just appeared on my MR statement as:
APPLE SALES INTERNATIONAL - with Outbound spend bonus (but billed in ££s!)

Last edited by cmcbugg; May 26, 10 at 3:05 pm
Old May 26, 10, 4:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Triple points on my last 3 Morrisons petrol station transactions.
Old May 27, 10, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by k3v View Post
I'd give them a call again, i had to call quite a few times. I have only just got my introductory 20k, it seems that all the spend in the early days did not count against the £500 to trigger the bonus. They still havent back dated all my MR points properly but i cant be bothered to chase them as all seems to be working correctly now.
Thanks - same problem as me I see. I'll keep at them!!!
Old May 27, 10, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Just signed up online yesterday, approved immediately and tracked on Quidco within a few hours! excellent! ^
Old May 27, 10, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by clubman View Post
Just signed up online yesterday, approved immediately and tracked on Quidco within a few hours! excellent! ^
Quick, buy a lottery ticket too
Old May 27, 10, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum
Finally got the 20,000 bonus today.

Also a couple more hotels for the travel bonus, both had to be added manually through customer services:

Sheraton
Radisson
Old May 27, 10, 3:48 am
uk1
Suspended

Ocado gives double points ie 1 plus 1 bonus.
Old May 27, 10, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Here's a question. When I load my Paypal card on my BA Amex, it comes up as 'PayPal Singapore' on the statement, albeit it is charged in £. Does loading a PayPal card on the Gold Amex count as a foreign purchase and thus double points? Someone already posted that they got double points for a foreign purchase which was £ denominated ....
Old May 27, 10, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
Ocado gives double points ie 1 plus 1 bonus.
Could this be interesting? E-mail from AmEx (no specific link):
Originally Posted by AmEx
Receive 350 bonus Membership Reward® points and a £35 saving when you spend £200 or more on selected flight, car rental or hotel bookings with Opodo using your American Express® Card between 24 May and 31 August 2010

To start planning your next trip, visit opodo.co.uk and quote AMEXFLY for flight bookings, AMEXCAR for car rental bookings or AMEXBED for hotel bookings to receive your £35 saving when spending £200 or more.
Terms and Conditions: 350 Membership Reward bonus points will be awarded on your first transaction made at Opodo between 24 May and 31 August 2010 on your American Express Card ... Membership Rewards points earned with this offer will be credited to eligible Cardmembers accounts within eight weeks of the transaction date. You must be enrolled in the American Express Membership Rewards Programme in the UK to qualify. Voucher Terms and Conditions: As an American Express Cardmember, you will receive i) £35 saving on flight bookings costing £200 or more ii) £35 saving on car rental bookings costing £200 or more and iii) £35 saving on hotel bookings costing £200 or more when paying with your American Express Card. Receive your savings by entering the relevant promotional code in the "e-voucher" section on the payment page. E-voucher discounts are redeemable against each booking, not per person. Only one e-voucher may be used per booking. The number of e-vouchers coded amexfly, amexcar, amexbed is limited and the e-voucher will only be valid if it is within the first 2,000 bookings. Should the e-voucher no longer be valid at the time you make your booking, you will be informed of this before the booking process is complete. This e-voucher promotion will commence on 24 May 2010 and e-vouchers must be redeemed by midnight on 31 August 2010. E-Vouchers may not be used for any previously purchased bookings. E-voucher usage is restricted to one of each type of code per person. Each e-voucher must be redeemed via the website at opodo.co.uk or by phoning Opodo on 0871 277 0090 and quoting AMEXFLY for flight bookings, AMEXCAR for car rental bookings, AMEXBED for hotel bookings. Flight e-vouchers are not valid on multi-stop flights, charter flights, Flight + Hotel bookings where the two are combined into a package with one price, flights that form part of a package holiday and flights with low-cost airlines (easyjet, Monarch, Flybe, Jet2, Thomsonfly, Aer Lingus, Norwegian and Manx2) ...
Hmm, lots of restrictions, and they charge for credit card use.
Old May 27, 10, 4:16 am

Opodo

Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Could this be interesting? E-mail from AmEx (no specific link):Hmm, lots of restrictions, and they charge for credit card use.
Quidco likes Opodo for...

Flights - 1.5%
Hotels - 5%
Car Hire - 7%
Old May 27, 10, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
No, Paypal posts as

PAYPAL *PAYPALTOPUP SG Singapore SNG 888

and earns base MRs only.

-

Roger - are you confusing your Ocado with your Opodo? Either way, £35 off a flight is worth a little credit card charge. Interesting that it's limited to 2000 uses - that sounds quite small? There's also 1.5% at Quidco (although that may be invalidated by the Amex code).
Old May 27, 10, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by weirdfish View Post
Quick, buy a lottery ticket too
On my way now!

Search this Thread