Volcanic ash - right to care discussion

Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by James S
What about BA 114?

Also are these yesterday's flight's or today's?
This is for flights departing the US today, 16th April. The BA114 is Cancelled (at the moment). These details are available on the Arrivals/Departures section of ba.com.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by Genius1
This is for flights departing the US today, 16th April. The BA114 is Cancelled (at the moment). These details are available on the Arrivals/Departures section of ba.com.
Yes just found that thanks. Damn it - I was on the wrong flight, the 176 before my 114 is going, as is the 182 an hour later.

I wonder if the 114 were to operate, would they put me back on it automatically (now on the 112 next Tuesday)?

Last edited by James S; Apr 16, 2010 at 11:02 am
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

BA174 from JFK is operating to GLA.
BA176 from JFK is operating to PIX.
BA182 from JFK is operating to GLA.
BA268 from LAX is operating to PIX.
BA284 from SFO is operating to GLA.
PIX....

Ah a typo, not Pico Island, Portugal but PIK - Glasgow Prestwick.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
PIX....

Ah a typo, not Pico Island, Portugal but PIK - Glasgow Prestwick.
http://people.delphiforums.com/dicke...SS%20MEDAL.jpg
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:19 pm

BA174 from JFK is operating to GLA.
BA176 from JFK is operating to PIK.
BA182 from JFK is operating to GLA.
BA268 from LAX is operating to PIK.
BA284 from SFO is operating to GLA.
Anyone know what they're dong with these aircraft once they reach GLA/PIK (assuming LHR remains closed)? Do they send them back to JFK/SFO in order to attempt to operate tomorrows services? If so, will passengers booked from London be able to fly if they can get to GLA/PIK, or will they go back to the US empty?

I'm quite curious, as I'm currently booked on the 174 tomorrow, but trying to get to Nice. If they take me to GLA, I might be in a worse shape than if I stay in NY... at least from here there actually are flights operating to Nice and southern Europe (not that I've managed to get on one of them).
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:34 pm

Okay - Who Was the Klutz?

Yesterday at Flight Connections, LHR Terminal 5.
Male pax to a Captain who was attempting to get through crowd at Immigration.

IF YOU PUT FILTERS ON THE FRONT OF YOUR JET ENGINES THEY WONT GET CLOGGED UP.

Sorry no prize for getting the nationality correct.

I hope this chappie wasn't a Flyertalker!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by NickB
Ever heard about the duty to mitigate one's loss?
I'd book the room/suite on the cheapest rate available.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Schultzois
Anyone know what they're dong with these aircraft once they reach GLA/PIK (assuming LHR remains closed)? Do they send them back to JFK/SFO in order to attempt to operate tomorrows services? If so, will passengers booked from London be able to fly if they can get to GLA/PIK, or will they go back to the US empty?

I'm quite curious, as I'm currently booked on the 174 tomorrow, but trying to get to Nice. If they take me to GLA, I might be in a worse shape than if I stay in NY... at least from here there actually are flights operating to Nice and southern Europe (not that I've managed to get on one of them).
If they can get flight crew in place then they could operate as positioning flights. It would be highly unlikely they could operate as commercial flights - pax/crew/catering etc not in place. Most likely the aircraft will remain parked and positioned down to LHR when it opens.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold
Only just managed to get on here. I'm stuck in JNB... was supposed to be on the BA34 from JNB to LHR tonight, but that's obviously been cancelled. Spoke to the ticket desk at JNB this afternoon (I was connecting from CPT) and they said that they would be bumping everyone out by a day, so last night's passengers would fly tonight, tonight's passengers would fly tomorrow, etc.

However, as nothing has been flying tonight, that obviously won't happen now. It also conflicts with what others have said here about people on cancelled flights having to fit into any available space on subsequent flights. I'm really hoping that isn't the policy... when I asked, the girl on the desk said the JNB-LHR route is fully booked until 25th April!

I'm fortunate that I'm able to stay with my uncle here, rather than have to argue the toss with my travel insurance provider or BA over accommodation, but would like to get home ASAP. Any thoughts/comments on BA's policy on rebooking? Is it likely to be bumping the flights out for everyone, or will I have to wait until 25th?!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Gold 1MM, BA Blue again :-(, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Symposium
Spoke to the ticket desk at JNB this afternoon (I was connecting from CPT) and they said that they would be bumping everyone out by a day, so last night's passengers would fly tonight, tonight's passengers would fly tomorrow, etc.

However, as nothing has been flying tonight, that obviously won't happen now. It also conflicts with what others have said here about people on cancelled flights having to fit into any available space on subsequent flights. !
Well, maybe that is the policy, we'll see, but it seems crazy to me because instead of having a set number of plane fulls worth of disgruntled passengers, now you have many more, maybe dozens of planes worth for each flight, with a fresh lot of customers p*ss*d of for days after the cloud has gone.
Plus you end up putting people on flights they no longer need or want as perhaps 3 or 4 days have elapsed so its no longer relevant to fly, and instead of communicating with a few planes worth of people per routing, its many more - and when do you stop it, because when you do you are back to where you were, fitting in cancelled passengers around existing ones!

Makes no sense AFAICS, I'm guessing you spoke to a temp they put on to help out the desks who had no clue?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA, SK
Not getting through to cancel my flight

Have been trying for the past hours to call BA in the USA to cancel my flight that should have left JFK-LHR tonight (request for a refund), but am not getting through. Now the departure time of my flight has passed (which, I presume, is not a problem), but I am still not getting through. And as I can't request a refund online (even though I bought the ticket on ba.com), I guess I just have to keep trying... Or is there anything else I can do? Does it matter when I cancel this flight? Can I chill and do it some time over the weekend? (I'm planning to buy another, separate ticket instead).

Oh, and could someone answer me yes/no: If I get to cancel this flight, will I still get the miles/points for the cancelled flight? And what about the legs that aren't cancelled, but that I'm asking for a refund for too?

Last edited by fly12345; Apr 16, 2010 at 4:47 pm Reason: added query
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly12345
Oh, and could someone answer me yes/no: If I get to cancel this flight, will I still get the miles/points for the cancelled flight? And what about the legs that aren't cancelled, but that I'm asking for a refund for too?
I can't answer the first part of your query, but you won't get the TPs/miles. I asked when I was getting my flights refunded, and he said no.

You can cancel the flights on the same booking and refund them, but again won't get the TPs/miles.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC: Gold
My Contingency Plans

As I've spent the best part of 1/2 day working this out, hopefully this might be of use to someone.

For work, I have to be in SYD next weekend and I;m booked on BA 9 on Thursday 24th. This is the best contingency plan I think i could find (but correct me if you think otherwise).......

Looking at that norwegian map, I've judged that Madrid is the European Airport least likely to be affected, is accessible by rail from London and has international connections. Arguably Rome is also an option, but because MAD is influenced by upward airstreams from the atlantic, its probably a better bet.

Rail tickets are selling fast. e.g. Paris-Madrid sleeper reportedly booked up until tuesday, so I acted now.

I've booked refundable rail and flights as follows:

Eurostar: London-Paris
Sleeper: Paris - Madrid (arr Madrid 09:10)
Flights: MAD-JFK(AA: 13:55), JFK-LAX-SYD (all QF108)

Cost: OMG.

Richie
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Can't answer why the US office is not responding at present. Can only suggest they're very busy helping other customers at present.

But I'm sure you'll be fine contacting them tomorrow about the refund.

As for getting TPs and miles for a cancelled flight, I would imagine not on this occasion as this is an extraordinary circumstance which is not the fault of BA (unlike the strike scenario). I could be wrong, but I think it would be best not to expect them.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Platinum, BMI Silver
Update from SYD, #94:

After Friday's BA10 was cancelled, I re-booked on next Saturday's (24th) BA10 via the Exec Club telephone line; this was the earliest flight with any availability.

Woke up this morning to a letter under the door from the hotel stating that the flight will be leaving on the 18th. Getting a lot of inconsistent messages from BA at the moment which isn't helping.

There are 2 BA aircraft here in SYD - Friday's cancelled BA16 and BA10. What I'm wondering is whether BA will use these a/c to fly the BA16/10 pax to SIN/BKK as soon as they can; or whether they will use them for the first scheduled BA16/10 flights once UK airspace is open. If it's the former, then how can I ensure I'm on that plane, even if I'm booked on the BA10 on the 24th?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.