Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Volcanic ash restrictions to European airspace and airports [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic ash restrictions to European airspace and airports [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:03 am

Update

All departures from LHR, LGW and LCY will be cancelled for the rest of the day from 1130 UK time (all UK domestic flights have already been cancelled for today).

This applies to all airlines.

Some flights from the USA (BA292/296/68) have been nightstopped and others already airborne may be diverted (BA228/192/264/188).

Further disruption is likely as a second eruption has occurred in closer to Finland and Russia.

The most reliable and up to date information regarding disrupted flights can be found on the arrivals and departures information on ba.com as the situation is likely to change through out the day.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has there ever been a total closure of UK airspace before? I don't recall one on September 11th 2001.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Has there ever been a total closure of UK airspace before? I don't recall one on September 11th 2001.
Nothing was closed in the UK on 9/11. I flew into LHR that night.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Icelanders will vote it down!

P.S. If anyone is getting miffed with BA, the following is the reason why it's not BA's fault "IN ACCORDANCE WITH ICAO VOLCANIC ASH CONTINGENCY PLAN, NO IFR CLEARANCE WILL BE ISSUED FOR PENETRATION OF THE FORECAST CONTAMINATED AREA THAT LIES WITHIN UK AIRSPACE."

(It's not me shouting, it's a direct copy from the NOTAM for London FIR. Although I did wonder if they'd issue a VFR clearance in that case?! )
VFR would presume you can see out the window. I remember seeing photos of a KL 747 that flew through an ash cloud-the engines keep going unlike the famous BA case ( just about- I think) but were all but totalled -and the windows took on a cloudy aspect-which might not be condusive to VFR.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Shona
VFR would presume you can see out the window. I remember seeing photos of a KL 747 that flew through an ash cloud-the engines keep going unlike the famous BA case ( just about- I think) but were all but totalled -and the windows took on a cloudy aspect-which might not be condusive to VFR.
Don't take me too seriously. I was being entirely facetious.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, KLM Cardboard
Ryanair have uploaded maps of the predicted affected area. Looks like London's not re-opening today : http://www.ryanair.com/img/notices/iceland-volcano.gif
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've created a seperate thread for reroute/EU rules/duty of care discussions, leaving this for general news, updates and discussion.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...iscussion.html

Swanhunter
Moderator, BAEC
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
On my way to South America via MAD from GVA. Wondered why all EZY flights from GVA to the UK were cancelled this morning. The only UK bound flight which seemed to be leaving was the first BA flight of the day. Well I'm glad I'm flying IB this time to South America.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
This BBC article http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8621407.stm which is being updated every few minutes, is now saying that the ash is expected to head over to Europe tonight. And it is expected to dissipate over the Netherlands.

So if that happens, a mid-day EDI-LHR flight tomorrow should be safe, right?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, A3 Miles and Bonus Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
For goodness sake - is Schipol closing? Has Olso? Is anything from outside Europe going through British airspace or is it all closed?
Just sitting in the BA Lounge at Schiphol, and there's plenty of activity on the apron - according to the FIDS, flights to all destinations except the UK and Norway seem to be departing on time. I was booked on the 1630 flight to LHR, however once that got cancelled they put me on the 1210 to LGW. I went to check in expecting it to be cancelled (having read the BBC and BA's own website), but they said they'll try to get it off the ground. The duty manager insisted so after i showed her the headline on the BA website on my phone.

If anyone is considering the Thalys/Eurostar option from Amsterdam - I'd get to ticket office quickly. Queues at Schiphol for NS Hispeed (who do bookings for int'l trains) were horrendous, and given the speed of NS ticketing staff, i imagine they won't be moving too quickly...

Still showing as departing on time over here, so don't know exactly what's going on (nor, it seems, do the BA staff here).
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:34 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Rebooked with BA already, very efficient, again - all that practice from strikes paying off ;-)
Was told no flight to LAS tomorrow - not sure whether due to positioning issues or other, but was able to rebook for Saturday at least (fingers crossed). Would not hold out much hope for longhaul tomorrow as a result
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:46 am

Programs: BA
This BA event springs to mind - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8NL6De-yuI
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:57 am

Programs: BA,BD,VS,ANA
Originally Posted by stimpy
This BBC article http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8621407.stm which is being updated every few minutes, is now saying that the ash is expected to head over to Europe tonight. And it is expected to dissipate over the Netherlands.

So if that happens, a mid-day EDI-LHR flight tomorrow should be safe, right?
Let's hope so, I've got a LHR>GLA around the same time
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
At LGW. Massive queues for rebooking (no separate premium area). Much quicker on phone. I have a refund for both flights.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
BRIT AIR IS A DISGRACE THEY SHOULD JUST FLY ROUND IT
I wonder how often BA staff will hear that today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.