Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Volcanic ash restrictions to European airspace and airports [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic ash restrictions to European airspace and airports [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
BA cannot be blamed for volcanos in Iceland?
BRIT AIR IS A DISGRACE THEY SHOULD JUST FLY ROUND IT

There's nothing they can do. I think safety has to come first in these situations. As long as they keep on the ball with providing information as soon as they have that information -and making sure that all channels -ba.com, contact centres, airport desks, cabin crew, handling agents...have that information so that they can keep passengers up to date, and are reasonable with rebooking/hospitality, then I don't think they can be blamed in any way -in fact, if they handle it well, it might look rather good for them.

I do not envy the ground staff or contact centre staff on a day like today. I also don't envy those CC who have left the UK and are currently stuck on a turnaround somewhere!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:26 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, PC Platinum :) - BA & Virgin - Lowly :(
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Waiting for the "How many miles for Ash Cloud questions..."
Haha, good point!

I demand 3 free F upgrades, and One Meeeeeellion miles as compensation for the clearly BA induced volcanic eruption
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
We can't hang our washing out in case it gets covered in ash so we are having to use the tumble dryer which consumes electricity ŁŁŁŁŁŁ

Who should I contact for compensation?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Gold BD Silver Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
my BA27 tonight has been cancelled, just been rebooked onto QF30 tomorrow, as if that runs on time can still make my CGK flight on Saturday
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A Man Ray Kind Of Sky
To be honest, I don't care what compensation I do or don't get, I just want to get home.

We're booked into FIRST on Friday night LAX-LHR, and Mrs. AMRKOS is 4 months pregnant and I don't fancy being re-routed anywhere near the back of the plane for a 10 hour flight, for her sake.
sorry about that, ba wont fly

i dont know if this has been on before i havent read the whole thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Not going to work now...

Do you think I can claim comp from the Icelandic government for lost earnings???
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not going to work now...

Do you think I can claim comp from the Icelandic government for lost earnings???
the icelandic govertment are bust anyway

go and sit in the lounges.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Not going to work now...

Icelanders will vote it down!

P.S. If anyone is getting miffed with BA, the following is the reason why it's not BA's fault "IN ACCORDANCE WITH ICAO VOLCANIC ASH CONTINGENCY PLAN, NO IFR CLEARANCE WILL BE ISSUED FOR PENETRATION OF THE FORECAST CONTAMINATED AREA THAT LIES WITHIN UK AIRSPACE."

(It's not me shouting, it's a direct copy from the NOTAM for London FIR. Although I did wonder if they'd issue a VFR clearance in that case?! )
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:47 am

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
So what is speculation? How long will it take?

I am on Hold waiting to speak to BA for the third time now. They disconnected me twice before (nobody ever answered)

BA keeps saying that "you can rebook online"... well I can't.

I was scheduled to leave tonight and need to be in DE tomorrow for work...
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:48 am

Programs: Amex Plat; BA Blue
Originally Posted by origin
sorry about that, ba wont fly
What makes you say that? I'm still waiting for news about how long this is going to cause problems....
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A Man Ray Kind Of Sky
What makes you say that? I'm still waiting for news about how long this is going to cause problems....
the rest of my thread has a link. safety is more important for them ba are very jumpy.

i dont know if anyone knows how long this cloud is going to take to pass. i think the volcano is still erupting. also the weather in the uk has now started to come from the north, hence the problem. also this will last over the weekend. which means a colder few days for us. but also the cloud problems.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
The situation is not expected to improve anytime soon. Scandinavian airspace is close until at least 2200 tonight, and the cloud is moving in a south/eastern direction. Parts of european airspace will most likely be closed for several days, which will lead to big delays and chaos all over Europe.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Oh darn, I wish my other half was in London on a layover, would have been nice if she was stranded here with me for a few days!

Can i sue the Icelandic government for not respecting my family life from Article 8 of Human rights law?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by gordon0808
The situation is not expected to improve anytime soon. Scandinavian airspace is close until at least 2200 tonight, and the cloud is moving in a south/eastern direction. Parts of european airspace will most likely be closed for several days, which will lead to big delays and chaos all over Europe.
Woo hoo! I am just starting 6 days work... wonder what that will bring!!!

Oh well, can only make the best of a bad situation!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by origin
the rest of my thread has a link. safety is more important for them ba are very jumpy.
Besides, if no IFR clearance is issued, they can't fly anyway.

The NOTAM about it for London FIR currently only extends to 6:59 pm local time but I suspect it'll go further.

The nav guy working for another airline says the airspace closure around London starts at 12:00 (not sure if he was talking in Z or local) and doesn't know until when.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.