Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Volcanic ash restrictions to European airspace and airports [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic ash restrictions to European airspace and airports [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by rareair
Which flight?
BA 138 BOM LHR
It was supposed to leave at 0240am local time on 4/20.
it was delayed to 1540 local. expected to arrive in LHR at 2048.

thanks,
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by T8191
An aeroplane is showing on Spotters.com ... HUZZAH.

News? Updates? Spotters?

Please folks, unless this actually contributes to the sum of human knowledge about the situation, please don't tell us. We know some aircraft are flying, and they're crossing the UK about FL200. Some other aircraft may be making a dirty dart to an airport somewhere. On a scale of 1>10, so what?

A blow-by-blow account of every aircraft movement makes the thread unintelligible. Unless it is something significant, do us all a favour and say nothing. Please?
Who elected you leader of the thread? MYOB.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA PLAT

BA274 LAS-LHR circling around the west coast of Ireland at the moment.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:16 pm

ba.com shows 218 diverted to SNN with proposed departure SNN to LHR at 2015

also shows 102 to CDG with proposed departure at 2200
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
OK - I give up. Enjoy.

Originally Posted by msnbc
Magnus Tumi Gudmundsson, geophysicist at the University of Iceland, said there was circumstantial evidence that an eruption could occur within the next 18 months at the nearby Katla volcano.

"We can of course expect similar (travel) disruption with the Katla eruption," he said. "But it all depends on prevailing winds."

Of the eight eruptions in the last 40 years, only the recent eruption at Eyjafjallajokull was followed by winds blowing southeast toward northern Europe.

The volcano is also grumbling — tremors, which geologists believe to be caused by magma rising through the crust, can be heard and felt as far as 15 miles from the crater. "It's like a shaking in the belly. People in the area are disturbed by this," said Kristin Vogfjord, geologist at the Icelandic Met Office.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: Yes
Crap - BA72 is in the air? Must have been sitting here in MCT forever then! I am supposed to be on BA72 tomorrow night - I was hoping that it was sitting in LHR, ready to fly out tomorrow morning to pick me up.

If it's being diverted to Athens, what are the chances of it being back here tomorrow evening?!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:18 pm

I'll tell you one thing, I'd be absolutely filling my trousers if I were on one of those flights circling around while the big boys in the playground decide my fate [before the ash decides it for them]
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Greg66
102 now appears to be heading squarely for the south of England. The 84 is showing as over NI at the, potentially either heading to north of England airports or LHR.

Interestingly, both seem to have come in right along the length of a spur of the ash cloud, at least, as virtualradar is reporting the cloud. Trying to prove a point, I wonder?

ETA: and in the time it took to type that, the 102 spun on its tail and is pointed toward the northwest tip of Wales. The Denver flight looks to be in a holding patterns. Over the Isle of Man...
how are you figuring out where the flight is physically located? what website are you using?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by davea2
ba.com shows 218 diverted to SNN with proposed departure SNN to LHR at 2015

also shows 102 to CDG with proposed departure at 2200
That's what ba.com might be showing, but the plane itself is still circling around the Isle of Man.

Now, it could be trying to dump fuel, but I wouldn't have thought it would need to do so at the end of a TATL. I think Dirty Idea is probably right... it's the volcanic equivalent of waiting for a fog-bound airport to clear...
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by Greg66
102 now appears to be heading squarely for the south of England. The 84 is showing as over NI at the, potentially either heading to north of England airports or LHR.

Interestingly, both seem to have come in right along the length of a spur of the ash cloud, at least, as virtualradar is reporting the cloud. Trying to prove a point, I wonder?

ETA: and in the time it took to type that, the 102 spun on its tail and is pointed toward the northwest tip of Wales. The Denver flight looks to be in a holding patterns. Over the Isle of Man...
looks like a game of chicken,
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Jenbel
BA218 is circling and circling over Isle of Man... it's showing on BA as going to SNN, but really doesn't seem that keen...
Well if they wanted to see the effects of flying in the cloud for an extended period.....
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by gshewakr
how are you figuring out where the flight is physically located? what website are you using?
I am using http://www.flightradar24.com/ but there are others.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
both BBC and Sky have said the CAA have told them LHR is closed until 1am - no exceptions.

Seems very strange they can land at BRU but not LHR.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by gshewakr
http://www.radarvirtuel.com/ ^
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Well if they wanted to see the effects of flying in the cloud for an extended period.....
they are all staying above 35000.

But yeah, the irony had not escaped!

218 has a little friend now - joined by 84 in it's patrol of IOM skies - sure the Manx people are sleeping safely knowing that their skies are protected by BA 744s!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.