Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Liquids 100ml restriction

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
OT: Liquids 100ml restriction

I was understanding this was a universal worldwide thing but flying from BEY to LCA last night, no such restriction exists! I also remember a few years back internal flights in China do not seem to have the restriction either.

Have you experienced this at any other airports/countries ?

Last edited by johnny5a; Apr 12, 2010 at 1:54 am Reason: forgot to say where from
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
There is no restriction on domestic flights within Australia.
stewardo likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
IIRC, I flew home from Singapore with >100ml of liquids. Same for internal flights in China.

I thought the liquids rule was more of a US/EU thing than worldwide.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:03 am

Programs: ROP, Royal Skies, BAEC (Blue)
There are no hand luggage liquid restrictions on domestic flights within Malaysia. However, I'm rather surprised about the experience in Singapore. I have found them to be very vigilant with hand luggage, and absolutely no bottles over 100ml are allowed, whatever your destination. I believe nearly all international flights have to have these restrictions now, it is certainly far more widespread than just US/EU.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:11 am

Programs: BA GGL
Most countries adopt the EU standards, although there is no requirement to do so. Note also that the US and EU standards are ever so slightly different (metric vs. imperial).

I've also noticed that certain airports can be more stringent than others. DXB for example officially abides by the EU standard although in practice staff don't appear to care less.

Hence, I'd expect, the reason for the second security check at the BA gate before boarding unlike any other carriers ex-DXB.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:20 am

No restrictions in Brazil either...
Old Apr 12, 2010, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
No restrictions on internal South Africa flights but the restrictions are there for international flights starting in South Africa.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:14 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Sorry for resurrecting this very very old thread - however just wanted to (double) check on what Heathrow security defines as liquid in the following case.
Friends are coming over to visit me and it's HBO fare only, however they plan to bring over a couple of packets of ramen soup based for me to try (and does seem to be only available via amazon UK). I've check the description of the product on amazon and it states that it is a concentrated soup base.
From my understanding of what is defined as liquid on both Heathrow and Gov. website, it seems that these are defined as liquid...(same as soft cheese, etc).
Am curious if security will allow or not allow this?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

Sorry for resurrecting this very very old thread - however just wanted to (double) check on what Heathrow security defines as liquid in the following case.
Friends are coming over to visit me and it's HBO fare only, however they plan to bring over a couple of packets of ramen soup based for me to try (and does seem to be only available via amazon UK). I've check the description of the product on amazon and it states that it is a concentrated soup base.
From my understanding of what is defined as liquid on both Heathrow and Gov. website, it seems that these are defined as liquid...(same as soft cheese, etc).

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
Probably not. Heathrow security confiscated my Marmite 1 time, which was solid in the jar.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
Depending on where you are going, BA will often let you check in a hand luggage sized suitcase/bag for free. Could be a backup.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:54 am

You can check in hand luggage for free at Heathrow T5 (dunno about other UK terminals/airports).

edit: short haul only.

You may be OK with ramen as it's mainly noodles with little sachets of liquid paste, which might not be large enough to get picked up. You could open the packets, take out the sachets, and put them in a clear bag to go through as liquids. If it were me, I'd be prepared to do that only if the scanner picked them up.

Last edited by adrianlondon; Jul 23, 2020 at 3:18 am
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
You can check in hand luggage for free at Heathrow T5 (dunno about other UK terminals/airports).

You may be OK with ramen as it's mainly noodles with little sachets of liquid paste, which might not be large enough to get picked up. You could open the packets, take out the sachets, and put them in a clear bag to go through as liquids. If it were me, I'd be prepared to do that only if the scanner picked them up.
Oh, is this new due to current situation? If this is true, I will inform them about this as an option, as they are on a HBO/Economy Light fare. [It is not noodles, it is just the soup liquid paste]. If not, I'll tell them to just bring one (and if needed, place it into the clear bag).

Cheers!
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:44 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
My experience at Heathrow without exception is that small LAG items like lip balm etc are never picked up. As these satchets are small they may very well go through. Worst case bring an extra sealable bag for the noodles in case you have to break the packaging.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Oh, is this new due to current situation?
No this is standard, and not part of "the new normal".
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Truthmonkey
No this is standard, and not part of "the new normal".
Re: Free/Complimentary hand luggage check in @ T5 for Short haul - I am surprised that you mentioned this is standard as I never knew about this "special" exception from T5 (I know at Gatwick you have to pay for it even with status) . If this is true, that would be perfect. They are travelling on short-haul, hop over to Amsterdam on a HBO fare. I just don't want them to get a surprise and have to pay for it. They have NO status.

Cheers!
Never mind: I was so surprised I googled and found this https://travelupdate.com/hand-baggage-british-airways/ (always learning something new)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.