Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

DEN in Y, Scary cos I havent flown Y in ages

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

It started with a family holiday booked a year ago, It didnt make sense to use miles as there was no Club World or Y+ upgrade available, so I booked us all in Y how scary I thought but sometimes you have to try everything.

Our route was ABZ-LHR-DEN and return

Then the threat of the strike came and the family were on tenderhooks. The dates got announced and we were travelling on the day before the second strike. Everybody breathed a sigh of relief until 19.30 the day before we were due to travel when I received an email from BA saying our flight was cancelled.

Cursing the cabin crew I phoned the BA gold line and was advised that fog in ABZ had meant that the inbound aircraft had not arrived. How stupid did I feel???

Anyway rebooked via EDI. So a 4 hour drive awaited and the family moaned but when I explained it was that or missing the holiday they soon understood.

Arrived in EDI at 04.00 hours 26th March to find no check in staff, they soon arrived and let us through the fasttrack line

EDI-LHR usual domestic service. LHR-DEN stuck in 17A,B+C not great but hell at least were going on holiday. Lumpy, cramped and crap service with a limited bar because of the strike (I thought the strike didn't start until the day after) but I wasnt going to complain I was grateful to get there.

Great time on holiday, tons of snow and everybody was happy

Flew back last night left DEN 20.15. Really impressed with gate staff who organised the queues brillianty, explaining who would board first etc etc

Back on the plane 777 3 class unfortunately still in Y, but I cant moan Cos that is what I paid for, crew were great, everybody has forgotten about the strike and got on with their jobs.

Lumpy seats, couldn't sleep.

LHR-EDI better seats managed to sleep a bit, normal domestic

Glad I am flying out to GIG on Monday in J cant wait

This experience in Y really make'd me appreciate J class and I will fork out the extra Ł or miles in future

Should know better thats what happen when I try to go cheap, but it was was my wifes first experience of LH and hell does she love me now for doing it every month to boost the finances.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The worst part for me would have been the 4 hour drive back from EDI.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hiddy, might have known you would reply too this first but I agree, the worst part was the drive which is why I am still awake and the wife is snoring
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by zippyboarder
Hiddy, might have known you would reply too this first but I agree, the worst part was the drive which is why I am still awake and the wife is snoring
Just noted the time of your post! You have my sympathies.

I am flying up from LHR to GLA this morning on a flight timed to coincide with a couple of neighbours who have come in overnight from BKK in Y so I'll get their perspective on Long Haul Y as well.

LH Y is something I want to hear about not experience.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
This experience in Y really make'd me appreciate J class and I will fork out the extra Ł or miles in future
I took a whY a few years ago to the middle east when C was fully booked and no other direct flight available. It was fine but it helped that I was in an exit seat. The biggest shock for me was how narrow the seat was.

I agree that it makes you appreciate C much more and helps justify the extra GBP or miles.

I might do another whY in a few years time again (pre-booking an exit seat of course ) to keep up my appreciation of C.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 1:35 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I took a whY a few years ago to the middle east when C was fully booked and no other direct flight available. It was fine but it helped that I was in an exit seat. The biggest shock for me was how narrow the seat was.

I agree that it makes you appreciate C much more and helps justify the extra GBP or miles.

I might do another whY in a few years time again (pre-booking an exit seat of course ) to keep up my appreciation of C.
Well as they say, no pain no gain. (Though in this case I am more inclined to go with rather you than me...)
Old Apr 9, 2010, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6.5 years and counting since my last longhaul Y. Hopefully I'll never have to do another so thanks for reminding me how horrid the experience is.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
6.5 years and counting since my last longhaul Y. Hopefully I'll never have to do another so thanks for reminding me how horrid the experience is.
I did a longhaul W, to New York, in 2005, and I only got an op-up to J on the ooutbound. Does that count as my share of the pain?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 4:00 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Originally Posted by thegoderic
LH Y is something I want to hear about not experience.
Long haul Y, Lufthansa Y, or both?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 5:25 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
It was fine but it helped that I was in an exit seat. The biggest shock for me was how narrow the seat was.
I think the fixed arm rests make exit row seats narrower than standard Y seats.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 5:30 am

My heart bleeds....

This may be a little bitter and twisted but please, do you need to remind us 'poor' people just how baddly off we are!

I have the pleasure of travelling in Y every time I go long haul. Before the 'current economic climate' we managed to get the company travel policy changed so we had the pleasure of WT+ (cant remember the code). But that has now reverted back to 'cheapest possible fare'.

Please spare a thought for those of us who pray for the occasional upgrade to J class - its happend to me twice in 10 years of long haul travel
Old Apr 9, 2010, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, Delta Skymiles, Hilton Honors, IHG One Rewards, Melia Rewards
I really have to laugh at this post.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 5:31 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
It started with a family holiday booked a year ago, It didnt make sense to use miles as there was no Club World or Y+ upgrade available, so I booked us all in Y how scary I thought but sometimes you have to try everything.
I've never done long haul Y on BA but have flown ET many times on the Airbi, 737s and 767s. Is the seat layout (ie pitch, recline, etc) the same in long haul? If so I would find it pretty much undoable, especially given my tendency to overdo the booze and food in the lounges, requiring me to lie down and pass out on board.

In contrast SH travel is almost always for work so I don't over-indulge and find a few hours down the back not unbearable.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by James S
..... especially given my tendency to overdo the booze and food in the lounges, requiring me to lie down and pass out on board.
Yes the seats and pitch are pretty much the same and overdoing the booze and food is the only way to fly long haul
Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Personally, I'll never fly Y again on a segment that takes longer than 5 hours. I've decided that is about my limit. So I'll either wait until I can fly J on either miles or part-cash/part-miles, or can afford to pay for a seat.

I had toyed with the idea of splitting the journey from LAX-LHR into two Y segments and overnighting back east someplace, but it apparently still leaves a 7-8 hour flight between the east coast and LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.