Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Better to arrive at EWR or JFK?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by stevenshev
The Gansevoort? How six years ago. And take that from a New Yorker.
It may not be fashionable any more but the rooms are comfortable (if a bit small), it's not too expensive, the gym is above average for a hotel, the location is great and the nearby restaurants are terrific.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Go into EWR. When it's good, it's really good. Keep in mind the JFK runway closure leads to more air traffic in the NY area (so it could affect EWR-bound flights too), but JFK into Manhattan can get nasty and (as stated above), the Holland Tunnel is better for your (very nice) hotel destination. [on a side note, Bumble & Bumble nearby do great haircuts, and the Standard Grill - not the bar - is decent. Spice Market was just fine last weekend too].
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:02 pm

EWR, definitely. I've made it off the 185, through immigration, checked bags, collected, into a town car, through the tunnel and straight up Hudson to to member's club over the road from your destination in 50 minutes from wheels down.

I like the 185 and you're on the right side of town for it.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
All this talk about the best way to get in/out of the city makes me 'former-home-sick'...
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by stevenshev
The Gansevoort? How six years ago.
AFAIK, it's the best hotel in that neighbourhood, with perhaps one exception (see below). My friends tend to live and hang out around Chelsea and thereabouts, so somewhere that isn't an easy walk from, let's say, 17th and 8th, is out of the question.

And take that from a New Yorker.
I have plenty of New Yorkers to advise me. Some of them now live in London so perhaps even know the hotels better than those who still live in New York. They generally choose to stay at the Gansevoort.

Originally Posted by James S
It may not be fashionable any more but the rooms are comfortable (if a bit small)
Not all rooms are the same size, you know.

And even the smallest rooms (absurdly called "Superior" - as in so many places) are not so small by New York standards.

it's not too expensive, the gym is above average for a hotel, the location is great and the nearby restaurants are terrific.
Three years ago the cheapest rooms would often cost $550-600 (+tax). Fortunately, the recession and I think more importantely local competition (notably the Standard) have brought the prices down to earth somewhat, while the rooms have been well-maintained and aren't looking tired at all.

Originally Posted by knifeandfork
to to member's club over the road from your destination in 50 minutes from wheels down.
Ooooh, how mysterious. Where could you possibly be talking about?

Are you a member? The generally available prices are around 50% more than the Gansevoort - although a comparison isn't straightforward because the range of room sizes is different, with yours being generally larger. Is it worth the extra?

I rather like the fact that our pool looks down on your pool.

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Apr 7, 2010 at 3:27 am
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Ooooh, how mysterious. Where could you possibly be talking about?

Are you a member? The generally available prices are around 50% more than the Gansevoort - although a comparison isn't straightforward because the range of room sizes is different, with yours being generally larger. Is it worth the extra?

I rather like the fact that our pool looks down on your pool.
To be honest, I rarely stay there nowadays. I usually stay with friends. The prices, with the member discount used to be reasonably fair back in 03/04, not long after they opened. Now, very spendy.

The whole neighbourhood has turned into a B&T wonderland of an evening. Yogi Berra's "That place is so crowded, nobody goes there anymore" is sort of appropriate.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

The whole neighbourhood has turned into a B&T wonderland of an evening. Yogi Berra's "That place is so crowded, nobody goes there anymore" is sort of appropriate.
Too true. I'd be equally happy over in the relative quiet of, say, 7th and 18th, but tell me a decent hotel there. You either have to head North to midtown proper, or south to SoHo, all too far from where my friends live and most of the clubs/restaurants/parties where I tend to spend my time.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Looking at expertflyer, it would appear (unless I'm missing something) that the earliest IB flight arrives at 1.50pm. That gives a one-hour window of safety.

Looking at flightstats it's even better since that flight (an AA codeshare) arrives into Terminal 8.
Huh? IB use Terminal 7 as do CX and QF. Only AY uses Terminal 8 (AA's Terminal). JL uses Terminal 1. LA uses terminal 1.
That IB codeshare must be on AA metal.

Last edited by KenJohn; Apr 7, 2010 at 5:12 pm
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KenJohn
That IB codeshare must be on AA metal.
Makes sense. I was just searching (at that point) for IB flights arriving at JFK and it wasn't apparent to me at that point it wasn't on IB metal. In any case, the problematic flight seems to be the CX one, arriving shortly after the BA one.

Although the majority view here seems to favour EWR, a New Yorker friend and neighbour in London, who hops back and forth almost monthly (and stays at the same hotels as me - in fact he'll be arriving at the Gansevoort via BA3 on the very same day in June) is strongly advising otherwise. He says the cab fare from EWR is significantly more, and the runway issues at JFK are nothing to worry about.
And I do greatly prefer a 747, especially for a daytime flight, - whether in 2K or slumming it in 62K. Decisions, decisions....
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
He says the cab fare from EWR is significantly more, and the runway issues at JFK are nothing to worry about.
I don't think it's significantly higher--I think it's about $50 (plus tolls and tip) from EWR versus $45 (plus tolls and tip) from JFK. They use a zoned flat-rate system from EWR. Going to EWR from the city may be more, though, since you'd be using a NYC taxi and different rules apply.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-t...n-service.html

Last edited by Calcifer; Apr 7, 2010 at 5:42 pm Reason: $50 for the west side below 23rd St.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
www.dial7.com - same rate to go to EWR or JFK ($48 sedan or $53 luxury). $2 cheaper going from EWR/JFK to Manhattan. Tolls are $9 for both routes.

I always use them and they are perfectly fine (as well as on time!).

Last edited by henkybaby; Apr 8, 2010 at 2:18 am
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:02 pm

Too true. I'd be equally happy over in the relative quiet of, say, 7th and 18th, but tell me a decent hotel there. You either have to head North to midtown proper, or south to SoHo, all too far from where my friends live and most of the clubs/restaurants/parties where I tend to spend my time.
LeisureFirst, have you thought about this place?

http://www.gramercyparkhotel.com/

I hear it's quite nice and I fancy would make a reasonable compromise between uptown and downtown.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 1:02 am
Original Poster

would make a reasonable compromise between uptown and downtown.
Too far east for me, I'm afraid.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by henkybaby
www.dial7.com - same rate to go to EWR or JFK ($48 sedan or $53 luxury). $2 cheaper going from EWR/JFK to Manhattan. Tolls are $9 for both routes.
Toll from JKF to Manhanttan is still $4.50 for the Mid-Town Tunnel.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:05 am

Programs: Etihad Gold
BA into JFK or Newark

Any real difference, which is best?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.